Adding a docking port to a science lab already in orbit

As the title suggests, can this be done? A mission to put one in orbit round the Mun has popped up. I already have one there but I put it there prior to opening up the science tree that gave me the port (I think). Thus can I launch a mission to this aforementioned dockless science lab and retrofit one? If so a few pointers or well versed insults would be appreciated. I'm relatively inexperienced at this game. No longer a noob, I'm a post-noob now.

check the fineprint of the contract. if it's about a "new" lab, then refitting a lab that was already in orbit before you accepted the contract wouldn't count anyway - regardless of whether you use mods or some klaw - based contraption.

2 minutes ago, bootsam said:

Ive redeemed a contract via an already existing satellite before merely by entering the sat and waiting for the 10 sec stability, so I wondered if I could do the same here.

Depends on how it's worded.  If it says it has to be  a new space station, then the ship must be launched after the contract is accepted.

What does the contract say, exactly?

Edited by Geonovast

1 minute ago, bootsam said:

Im at work so cant check the details of the contract. However I may still try as the existing lab could be re-used elsewhere I guess and it could use a docking port now Ive unlocked them.

That's true.  I'll add for the record that you can process each unique science experiment exactly once in a lab, so if the lab you have in Mun orbit has processed a lot of (or all of) your Mun science, then it will be advantageous to you to move it.  When you do send a new lab, it has a clean slate, so to speak, and is not aware of which experiments were processed in other labs, so you can research the same set of experiments as many times as you have labs to process them.  Some people consider this an overpowered game mechanic, but it is a game mechanic, and I'd be remiss not to tell you of it.

Update: I used the claw successfully to add a port, more fuel and an atomic engine. I then proceeded to dock another craft to this and transfer crew as I dont need 2 pilots on that station. Thanks for the help guys. :)

The Klaw needs a bit of shove to activate and I only discovered this after many attempts at gentle docking. I accidently fired my engines and rammed a bit but lo and behold, the klaw then worked.

Murphys Law states that the mission to put a science lab up with a port had evaporated by the time I'd carried all this out. Another lesson learnt, but it was for a 'new' station as suggested.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:12 PM, bootsam said:

The Klaw needs a bit of shove to activate and I only discovered this after many attempts at gentle docking. I accidently fired my engines and rammed a bit but lo and behold, the klaw then worked.

Yeah, the Klaw is the opposite of docking.  You usually need at least 1 m/s to get it to latch, sometimes more.  And also you want to be as close to perpendicular as possible - if you're at an angle, it tends to slide off & send the target spinning away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.