I get to interview Star Theory tomorrow. Give me your questions!

Snark

48 minutes ago, Snark said:

I think code mods (i.e. plugins) will still be good ol' C#, same as they are now.

As for config-based mods (i.e. part mods and the like), no word on what the format of the files would be like.

Could you still ask what mods will be allowed and how mods will be handled? 

Will it be any and all mods allowed or are they putting a requirement on mods such as the aforementioned LUA files.

Edited by GoldForest

43 minutes ago, Snark said:

You mean from Making History?  I haven't seen anything about that, I don't get the impression that they're including that in the game.

I mean the procedural mission contracts generated in the mission control building. It works but I feel like the part testing missions in particular could be refined and also the milestones incentives ought to be integrated and visible here.

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Could you still ask what mods will be allowed

Not sure what you mean by this, exactly, but they want this to be wide open.  You'll be able to mod the stuff you can currently mod, plus they're opening some exciting new possibilities with scripting..

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

how mods will be handled?

My impression is that it'll be pretty much like now, i.e. to install a mod, you just copy it somewhere into the game folder tree.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Will it be any and all mods allowed or are they putting a requirement on mods such as the aforementioned LUA files.

See what I said already.

1 minute ago, boolybooly said:

I mean the procedural mission contracts generated in the mission control building. It works but I feel like the part testing missions in particular could be refined and also the milestones incentives ought to be integrated and visible here.

Ah.  Yeah, that's kinda covered by the other questions I'll be asking, specifically "will we have the same game modes as now" and "will there be any specific KSP 1 features that won't be kept".

1) Will science be more involved or is it going to be click button and done again?

2) Will career mode be revamped so theres more incentive to explore and create bases? 

3)Will there be a sort of automation for transferring resources between colonies/systems or is resource transfer even a thing?

4)They mentioned methane lakes in a video, will there be any specific resources to harvest?

5) Will there be any procedurally generated star systems/planets?

Okay, sanity check time.

I've finally caught up to this thread (at least up to this point-- I'm sure a new flood of posts will come in as soon as I post this).  I believe I've now noted or responded in some fashion to pretty much everything up to this point (if I've managed to miss you, my apologies-- I'm frazzled here and there's only one of me and a lot of you guys).

If I'm counting right... I now have 49 questions documented in the OP of this thread.  With 30 minutes for the interview, that gives me an average of just under 37 seconds per question, if I want to ask them all.

So... as I kind of expected, it's gonna be tight.  I'll try to ask as many of them as I can, but I can't guarantee that I'll get to everything.  (If I've answered you with "will ask" above, what that really means is "will try to ask, time permitting, but I can't guarantee.")

Since I'll pretty much have to try to blaze through them as fast as possible, that also means I'm not going to have a lot of time to drill down into the answers I get back, so unsure how much detail will be there.  If I ask a question like "Will it have X?", and the answer is "yes" or "no" or "no comment" or whatever, I'm mostly just going to have to jot that down and won't have time for follow-on questions.

Anything anyone asks after this point... probably a good chance I won't have time to look at it or add it to my list.  Quite aside from running out of time to ask all the questions I already have (49!), I'm also gonna be running out of my time to read / respond / collate here.

Thank you to everyone who's submitted questions thus far, lots of good ones in there!  And if I can't get to your question, I'm sorry about that.  There's only one of me, folks.  ;)

13 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

1) Will science be more involved or is it going to be click button and done again?

2) Will career mode be revamped so theres more incentive to explore and create bases? 

3)Will there be a sort of automation for transferring resources between colonies/systems or is resource transfer even a thing?

I think these are covered by questions asked earlier in thread.

14 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

4)They mentioned methane lakes in a video, will there be any specific resources to harvest?

I don't think this sort of thing is announced yet.

14 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

5) Will there be any procedurally generated star systems/planets?

Depends what you mean by "procedurally generated".

If you mean systems, the answer's no-- looks like they're going to continue the KSP tradition of carefully hand-crafting planets for their gameplay attributes, appearance, story, etc.

If you just mean the nuts-and-bolts of small-scale detail (e.g. surface scatters and small-scale topography), then yes, there's a lot of procedural generation there-- obviously they're not going to have an artist hand-place every tree across millions of square kilometers on Kerbin.  They demoed their "materials editing" system for planetary surfaces for us, and it's wicked slick:  a really nice blend of human-specifiable artwork and templates, with procedurally-generated ways of combining stuff.  Net result is surfaces that look gorgeous, are highly customizable by the artist, but are different everywhere so that no two landing sites are quite the same.

4 minutes ago, Zuldwyn said:

Will the current DLC assets like robotics from breaking ground and the parts from making history be added by default into KSP 2?

Already covered earlier in thread.

3 minutes ago, Zuldwyn said:

Will the current DLC assets like robotics from breaking ground and the parts from making history be added by default into KSP 2? I know it’s a late response didn’t know this was a thread.

He already answered this.

Breaking Ground: He got the assumption that they won't be added.

Making History: He'll try to ask it.

To be honest, picking some of the more interesting questions (eg what game modes will be available, and how will they differ from the game modes in KSP 1), and getting detailed answers is probably more interesting than a slew of "yes"/"no"/"no comment at this time" responses.  So I suggest sorting the questions into some sort of priority order, based on what you want to ask first/you think is an interesting topic/question and if possible getting some more detailed answers for those interesting questions.  Probably many of the interesting questions will be things they can't answer at this time.  Then if you still have time, you can run through more of the yes/no type questions.

2 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

To be honest, picking some of the more interesting questions (eg what game modes will be available, and how will they differ from the game modes in KSP 1), and getting detailed answers is probably more interesting than a slew of "yes"/"no"/"no comment at this time" responses.  So I suggest sorting the questions into some sort of priority order, based on what you want to ask first/you think is an interesting topic/question and if possible getting some more detailed answers for those interesting questions.  Probably many of the interesting questions will be things they can't answer at this time.  Then if you still have time, you can run through more of the yes/no type questions.

Pretty much what I was planning on doing.  ;)

Really, I'll just be winging it.  I'm not one of those "streamer" folks-- I have zero experience with this kind of real-time, in-person, face-to-face interview.  I'm usually more of a writing-stuff-down kinda person.  ("Well, duh", I can imagine as the reaction from anyone who's been around me on the forums lo these many years...)

So I'll just muddle through, one way or another.  Note that I'm not the only person interviewing them-- the other folks here (i.e. well-known streamers that got invited) will be doing their own interviews, which I assume they'll be recording and/or livestreaming, so folks will get to see the results of those, too.  Since I'm just a newbie who's play-acting at being an "interviewer", I figured I'd mostly give my own time slot over to asking questions from you fine folks.

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Perhaps list the questions youve selected and everyone replies with their top 3 to prioritize to which questions?

Not a bad idea, but I just don't have the bandwidth to keep up with that.  I'm totally frazzled just trying to record and collate the questions, let alone trying to administer a vote and try to rank them like that.  So I'll just wing it as I'm there.  It's not perfect, but it's the most I have time and energy to do.

3 minutes ago, Snark said:

Pretty much what I was planning on doing.  ;)

Really, I'll just be winging it.  I'm not one of those "streamer" folks-- I have zero experience with this kind of real-time, in-person, face-to-face interview.  I'm usually more of a writing-stuff-down kinda person.  ("Well, duh", I can imagine as the reaction from anyone who's been around me on the forums lo these many years...)

So I'll just muddle through, one way or another.  Note that I'm not the only person interviewing them-- the other folks here (i.e. well-known streamers that got invited) will be doing their own interviews, which I assume they'll be recording and/or livestreaming, so folks will get to see the results of those, too.  Since I'm just a newbie who's play-acting at being an "interviewer", I figured I'd mostly give my own time slot over to asking questions from you fine folks.

Not a bad idea, but I just don't have the bandwidth to keep up with that.  I'm totally frazzled just trying to record and collate the questions, let alone trying to administer a vote and try to rank them like that.  So I'll just wing it as I'm there.  It's not perfect, but it's the most I have time and energy to do.

good luck! :D

@Snark, thanks for your efforts!

I made it through most of the thread so hopefully these are new Qs.

- Will planetary exploration still be “biome” focused? If so, Will they come up with a better word than biome?

- Will the ground be deformable? Will Jeb make a crater when he augers in?

If there's still time, one more thing (forgive me if already asked): is there going to be a part recoloring system in game, like in Space Engineers, or are the Orion color variants something else?

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

If there's still time, one more thing (forgive me if already asked): is there going to be a part recoloring system in game, like in Space Engineers, or are the Orion color variants something else?

5 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes.  They're allowing you to pick color schemes; practically every part will have "primary color" and "secondary/trim color" as selectable things.  So you'll be able to repaint your ship as you like.  :)

The multi colored things in the trailer and pre alpha gameplay are indeed a real feature. The color is entirely up to user choice.