I get to interview Star Theory tomorrow. Give me your questions!

Snark

20 hours ago, Master39 said:

And Eve now that we have stock propellers.

On Laythe and Kerbin they're an option but by far not the most efficient one, a big SSTO rocket is more efficient and it's easier to fly, I really hope they keep plane part in mind when designing new worlds.

I remember hearing somewhere that there is a new planet specifically designed so that airplanes are basically the only practical option for landing and takeoff. Now there’s nothing said on how that was achieved, guess we’ll have to wait for that info, but planes aren’t getting abandoned.

It’s nice that the new planets sound like they’ll offer some really interesting challenges.

2 hours ago, pschlik said:

I remember hearing somewhere that there is a new planet specifically designed so that airplanes are basically the only practical option for landing and takeoff. Now there’s nothing said on how that was achieved, guess we’ll have to wait for that info, but planes aren’t getting abandoned.

It’s nice that the new planets sound like they’ll offer some really interesting challenges.

That's where I started from if you follow the reply chain.

I can't wait for that planet/moon

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

That's where I started from if you follow the reply chain.

I can't wait for that planet/moon

Ah I didn't realize that's the same thing you had in mind. Come full circle (or orbit) then.

16 hours ago, pschlik said:

Sounds to me like a super thick atmosphere or high gravity like Eve making it to where an SSTO is required to gain enough speed to break escape velocity. Of course, this could be overpowered with enough rockets as Eve challenges show. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Sounds to me like a super thick atmosphere or high gravity like Eve making it to where an SSTO is required to gain enough speed to break escape velocity. Of course, this could be overpowered with enough rockets as Eve challenges show. 

Someone will build a rocket large enough to launch a SSTO on that planet just because they can.

31 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Someone will build a rocket large enough to launch a SSTO on that planet just because they can.

Although, they could add some special condition to where all thrust above a a certain AoA is cancelled, forcing planes. I doubt they would do that, but it would be interesting to have to fly at no greater than 45 degree nose up.

Inb4 someone says they'll launch a rocket horizontal...

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Although, they could add some special condition to where all thrust above a a certain AoA is cancelled, forcing planes. I doubt they would do that, but it would be interesting to have to fly at no greater than 45 degree nose up.

Inb4 someone says they'll launch a rocket horizontal...

Meh. Just mount a probe core to side of the rocket.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, pschlik said:

Is there any chance you might remember where you heard that info? I've been been trying to keep up on the interviews ect but I haven't heard or seen anything about aircraft parts except the mk2 craft in the original trailer.

4 hours ago, Ethan Kerman said:

Are there going to be any more resources????

No exact details that I'm aware of, but my impression is that yes, there will be more resource types. Some of the new engines will require specific new fuels, and apparently some of those fuels will need to be made from other stuff, so my guess is that yes, there will be more stuff to mine than just one generic "ore".

But that's including a certain amount of reading between the lines, and I don't actually know that.

6 hours ago, Star-Eagle said:

Is there any chance you might remember where you heard that info? I've been been trying to keep up on the interviews ect but I haven't heard or seen anything about aircraft parts except the mk2 craft in the original trailer.

Oh gosh no. There have been so many articles and videos each with slightly different information that I can't remember at all where specifically I heard them. And it's been two weeks.

Airplane parts have been a bit quiet though. Not many questions asked, and when they are asked there usually wasn't an answer. I'd have to assume we'll see all the usual plane parts, but it feels like there is more to the story than that.

7 hours ago, Star-Eagle said:

An super earth with oxygen in the atmosphere was mentioned, think Eve or worse but jets works there. An SSTO from Eve does not work in practice but with jets you could get out of the dense atmosphere cheaply. Main issue would be reentry.