KSP Loading... The KSP franchise expands

SQUAD

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Woah, is this the week of huge news or something? Starhoopper hopping, KSP 2 announced for next year, Unity and general under-the-hood improvements to KSP coming in 1.8 (I assume before then!!!)... Somebody pinch me!

Rune. It was enough to take me out of my posting slumber, at the very least.

Omg you're back!

That's the real news today!

1 hour ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

Is there any chance that Bug #21234 will be fixed? (Or another bug with similar effects)

Did this perhaps start when the CommNet was introduced? Since it seems exponential and the space center would have to calculate an exponential number of possible craft-to-craft connections...

That aside: Oh gosh I'm thinking of opening my precious bottle of single malt for a sip to celebrate all the good KSP related things going on, I'm expecting some unforeseen issues arising from this very substantial Unity upgrade so I'll try to remain calm and collected like the adult the law says I am... but yeah, probably going to end up jumping both feet first right into 1.8 the moment the download finishes - whenever it can be started in the first place - rather than wait for 1.8.1 to iron out the finer wrinkles.

well ill say this. I have been around here since 2011 when harvester first announced his little game on orbiter space flight sim forums and Ive already got burned by squad (not harvester) when they said KSP would have multiplayer and it never did. THIS TIME with KSP 2 im not buying it until i know multiplayer is in the game. We all know multiplayer has to be implemented early in development. Im not buying the whole "we will implement it later in the game development!" NOT FALLING FOR IT THIS TIME!!!! 

FaroffHardIntermediateegret-max-1mb.gif

51 minutes ago, Redneck said:

well ill say this. I have been around here since 2011 when harvester first announced his little game on orbiter space flight sim forums and Ive already got burned by squad (not harvester) when they said KSP would have multiplayer and it never did. THIS TIME with KSP 2 im not buying it until i know multiplayer is in the game. We all know multiplayer has to be implemented early in development. Im not buying the whole "we will implement it later in the game development!" NOT FALLING FOR IT THIS TIME!!!! 

Actually, remember the last time Squad talked about multiplayer? They said "multiplayer is still being worked on, by another team"? Well... I have a sneaking suspicion that this effort got out of hand a bit. :) This comment was made, IIRC, about two years ago. This makes it highly likely that KSP2 is the promised KSP1 multiplayer, perhaps having outgrown its origins as an expansion, or perhaps having been planned as a "separate game" (same assets, but different engine) from the start. A jump from "replicate KSP1 with a multiplayer-capable engine" to "make a sequel extending the original" doesn't seem too great.

Heh, I remember the original team, Harvester included, promising there would not be multiplayer in KSP. You probably too. Good days. :) They knew what they were talking about.

4 hours ago, nestor said:

We don't have a release date yet to announce. 

can we have the parttools for 1.8 early?

4 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

ok... that's good... so, modders will have some time until the work starts again :wink:

:D

3 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

oh, by the way... I like the 1.8 idea... even more than the 2.0 :) ... just wanted to make this clear

same, I am looking forward to 2, but am not focusing on that - have rockets to explode (oops fly) and things to do in 1 until it is released, it is all hype (wondrous hype, but still hype).

:cool:

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Did Unity improve KSP's wheels yet, or are we still waiting on that?

Excellent question, and seconded...

(one could likely find out by downloading the newer Unity Editor versions and doing some 'quick' testing, if they were so inclined)

3 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Did this perhaps start when the CommNet was introduced? Since it seems exponential and the space center would have to calculate an exponential number of possible craft-to-craft connections...

That's a good question. The bug only starts getting bad after KSP v1.4.5, so I don't believe so. (CommNet was added in 1.2.)

2 hours ago, Redneck said:

Im not buying the whole "we will implement it later in the game development!"

I wouldn't buy it either, if they had said that. But they didn't say that.

They said (On the Steam page which is the only direct quote from Star Theory that I could find)

The technological developments made to the foundations of Kerbal Space Program 2 will build on the beloved modding capabilities of the original game, as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer.

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Will see what we can do. No promises, but it's already being worked on.

that is great news, and more than enough. :) appreciated! 

one more question - might 1.8 fix that graphical glitch in Transparent Pods?

+50:funds: 100 :rep: 10 :science:

Edited by zer0Kerbal

Looks good! I'm most excited for DX11 support. I've been to using -forced3d11 for a while and that has given better performance with mods for me, but all the part in the editors turned light blue, there was some weird graphical glitches and it crashed often. DX11 will be really good for my PC! Thank you Squad! Your new updates adding highly requested features are great and I hope you continue doing this for years to come.

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

While this version will have a larger impact on many mods, more than 1.6 or 1.7, the process has been tested and is relatively fast.  Still, there will be several changes, due to the introduction of the Roslyn compiler, which brings full C#7 support and moving to full .NET 4.x API (.NET 3.5 support is deprecated). There will be continued efforts to reduce significant impact for Modders, but the belief is this time around the benefits of this upgrade far outweigh the drawbacks. 

Mods have become quite essential for me, I truly hope the modders find the incentive, time, and energy for just another rewrite... 

10 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Omg you're back!

That's the real news today!

11 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Good to see you online again dude.

Thanks! :blush: It's nice come back to such warm greetings. :D

12 hours ago, St4rdust said:

*pinching you* :) 

Yeah, I still see all the cool news in my feed, they didn't magically dissapear over night. Now it's just a matter of waiting with anticipation! I'm sure you can live without nails, can't you? xD

Rune. What a time to be alive!

14 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Systems. They said systems. With s at the end. Plural.

14 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

As in, more than one?!

"Systems", plural, yes.  As in, more than one.  :)

They're not saying yet exactly how many, but when we asked them about it at the studio tour on Wednesday ("how many?") their answer was one word:  "Multiple."  So, yes, more than one.