Request: Ability to use Orion Drive within Kerbin

Jestersage

10 minutes ago, Lord Aurelius said:

Orion drives sound like the perfect solution to less than ideal landing sites. Nothing like dropping a few nukes on the way down to flatten out pesky slopes and leave a nice, level glass-lined crater to land in.

Except that landing with them requires that you fly *through* the results of a series of nuclear bombs...

"I have people coming in here every other week to propose using giant rockets to put tiny probes into orbit, and here you are telling me you plan to put an entire goddamn spaceship up there?"

"We're using nuclear bombs, sir. We can put something roughly the mass of downtown Chicago into orbit."

- Apocryphal conversation attributed to engineers of Project Orion in a meeting with a United States Air Force admiral.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

What - you don't like the old 'dig a deep hole, drop a nuclear bomb in, build a base in the resulting cave' style of base-building?

We should dig the hole with the Orion-powered pile driver, then put a bigger bomb inside and make a cave.

On 9/25/2019 at 3:41 PM, DStaal said:

What - you don't like the old 'dig a deep hole, drop a nuclear bomb in, build a base in the resulting cave' style of base-building?  ;)

Species who don't handle radiation well. 
Note that this does not include kerbals, You can attach 4 LV-N on the side of an crewed module like an hitchhiker then fire it a lot and cruse to Eeloo fire again to orbit and land. 
Crew might complain if the LV-N block the windows :)

This is me having a debate about designing an Orion Drive space ship

Me: Orion Drive

Me meh

Me:  now wait a second Im thinking we take 5X Orion drives linked with a tweaked out  AT industries Skycrane that carries more nukes as its reserve fuel ...

Me: Go on

Me: then build 4 more set of thoes.... then link them to another AT industries Skycrane  for 25 Onion stanged Orion Drive boosters......

Me: hmmm needs something....MORE.

This is perobably why I make people from NASA nervous when they are around me.

Edited by [email protected]

It's not like large aspargus stages can't destroy the KSC anyway; i still remember a 2.5M stack with 3 layers i used to get a mothership into orbit (Which ended up sitting there and being de-orbited due to it rendered useless after advancing more into the TT) Each Seperation event had me seeing another part of the KSC destroyed; then once i finally got up i didn't have probe control even with power.

Come to find out; the Runway,VAB,Launch Pad and Tracking Station had all gotten obliterated by the debris.