Poll: Will you keep playing KSP1 after KSP2 is released?

EchoLima

Will you keep playing KSP1 after KSP2 is released?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Will you keep playing KSP1 after KSP2 is released?

• Yes: I likely will keep playing KSP 1
    • Unsure: I'm not sure/can't say either way/other reason
    • No: I likely won't keep playing KSP 1

Look at FS2004 vs FSX - given how much more hardware FSX required, a large part of the community hang on to FS2004 and gradually everyone went over. Of course, it wasn’t uncommon to have sunk a couple of hundred dollars in scenery and aircraft over the years, which also worked as a brake on switching over all the way.

While an KSP-1 Early Access program is ruled out, it’s hard to believe the game will go live with 100% of the envisioned features enabled. If that’s the case, especially when it might take a while for the modding community to release missing features (in their spare time after all), we’ll probably see a transition period.

Most of it though hinges on how good KSP2 will be—only time will tell.

Well, considering I still fire up KSP 0.9 sometimes (for the SSTO VTOLs etc) I dont think I will ditch KSP anytime soon. Mostly I play 1.3.1 and 1.6.1 nowadays. Looking forward to dive into 1.7.3 too, but it might take me a while.

While I've liked about 90% of what Star Theory has had to say about KSP2, there are a few things that give me pause, and there are so many ways they could screw it up. So it really entirely depends on how good KSP2 will be. 

Best case is it'll be better than KSP1 in most respects that matter straight out of the gate, in which case I won't look back.

More likely case is it'll take a few iterations to get there, in which case I'll likely be playing KSP1 in the interim.

Another likely case is that it'll be either fundamentally flawed or just include features or aspects that I won't enjoy, in which case I'll be sticking with KSP1.

And one possibility is that it'll fail altogether -- they'll run out of money, it'll flop in the market, or it'll have fundamental architectural issues that will doom it from the start. 

It somewhat depends on how many features go over to the new one.  Will their be a Breaking Ground equivalent for example?   That alone would keep a lot of folks splitting their time between the two.

It is difficult to know at this time whether it is KSP: new & improved with lots more stuff or whether it really is a sequel, focused a lot more on the near future. 

In short, are you still starting your first day launching a Flea-powered capsule on a ballistic trajectory?

I expect that KSP2 will have many bugs and issues right after realease, and it might take a few months untill all patches and updates will be available. 

First few weeks of KSP2 release i think KSP1, with all mods, will still be slightly better developped game. 

First of all, i am not sure, if stock KSP2 will have better graphics, or generally said audio-visual impression, than KSP1 with all enhancing mods. 

Edited by papuchalk

As of right now, I'm unsure.

If I'm right and KSP2 is basically just KSP1+all the new stuff, then I likely won't continue playing KSP1, because functionally I'll already have both in one game.

But if I'm wrong and KSP2 is a totally different game with different mechanics and what not, then I'll likely play both for their respective experiences.

As I have said elsewhere, I'm not prepared to pay USD $60 for any game, even though I'd pay more for KSP 2 than for almost any other.  As such, I'll stick with KSP 1 until a) it's a lot cheaper, b) it's been patched a few times and c) essential mods are available*.

Once I have bought 2 though - and it's "when" not "if" - it's unlikely I'll ever come back to 1.

(*I have no idea what will be essential at the moment but a KAC-equivalent would be one, if it's not built-in).

Edited by Pecan

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:32 AM, KeranoKerman said:

KSP 1, for a bit while the mods catch up.

This!

While KSP is a decent game on it's own, it's the modder community that make it a great game.  I'd guess that a shiny new KSP2 might not need graphics mods like SVE etc, but for the last year or so I've been playing with KOS and it's a completely different game.  So I suppose it depends if/when the developers of my favourite mods get them running on KSP2 and stop supporting KSP1.

If KSP2 is an improvement...  And I do remain very optimistic in this regard.  Then based on my past experience with other games, I would have no reason to continue to revisit the prior version. 

If I do keep playing KSP1, then it would likely mean there is some significant shortcoming to the newer version.  In which case, for other games... it unfortunately led to the abandonment of the franchise.

My biggest curiosity going into KSP2 is how the new craft files will be structured and whether or not they will continue to rely on a branching database as a way to define how the ships are held together.  I'm hopeful that I may have a shot at scripting a conversion utility to port my craft files over, but I'll rebuild them if I must.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, Kerbart said:

[snip] 

...it’s hard to believe the game will go live with 100% of the envisioned features enabled. If that’s the case, especially when it might take a while for the modding community to release missing features (in their spare time after all), we’ll probably see a transition period.

[snip]

I don't mind if the game goes live at less than 100% of new features being enabled...  What would be a huge disappointment to me though is if the game went live and our starting point is actually somewhere behind where the stock+DLC content (parts) we currently have in KSP1 is today.  To me that's taking a step backward and I'd rather they just delay release until we are at least at the same level in terms of what we can build in the current game.  I'd hate to roll into the new game and not immediately be able to build a SAR helo or a robot arm for instance.

I will always play KSP, for two reasons

It was the first PC game I ever bought with my own money,and so holds a special place in my heart
From the looks of things,my PC will die if I even try to load KSP 2, so I'll definitely hold off getting it,but even after I do get it, KSP 1 will still get played.

Also,I've yet to (in a legit way atleast ) make it past minimus..soo..yeah...i still have unfinished business in KSP 1...

I'm running 1.4.3...   about 5 mods. It's challenging and fun as it is. Just started my first mission to Duna as the transfer window is prime right now. I'll stay with this, it runs stable on my laptop, with an extra cooling fan pad. Afraid if I up grade anything it'll just lockup 2 minutes in.

I'll likely switch over entirely, however that is really going to be hardware dependent.  If my poor old laptop can handle KSP 2, then I likely will switch, but frankly there's a really good chance that I'll need to keep to 1.0 for some time until I can afford a better laptop.  With that said, with the mountain of mods I play with I feel like there's a possibility that a fresh install of a new game will actually be faster, lol.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, N_Danger said:

Why buy a game before the first couple patches?:wink:

I was going to agree with you based on previously having bought a few games at release that I just didn't get on with and hardly played,  but then I remembered I bought KSP at 0.2something and that worked out ok :D

On 9/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, sturmhauke said:

I run several different heavily modded installations of KSP1, depending on what I'm doing. I won't fully switch over to KSP2 until the mod scene starts to catch up. And I may still fire up KSP1 from time to time.

I'm in the same boat. Until KSP2 has all the general mods I would know I would want/need for how I play, just wouldn't be a point switching. 

That being said, it'll be a day one purchase regardless and I will probably play it for the day just to see how different it is. 

On 9/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, sturmhauke said:

I run several different heavily modded installations of KSP1, depending on what I'm doing. I won't fully switch over to KSP2 until the mod scene starts to catch up. And I may still fire up KSP1 from time to time.

I'm in the same boat. Until KSP2 has all the general mods I would know I would want/need for how I play, just wouldn't be a point switching. 

That being said, it'll be a day one purchase regardless and I will probably play it for the day just to see how different it is. 

It all depends on how KSP2 feels.

If it feels like KSP1 with more stuff, not losing much old stuff, and one can run 1000 parts ships without any lag (1-for-1 second clock) then I probably wont pay KSP1.

If KSP2 feels "artificial" (sorry can't explain it well... say it feels stiff and game fonts/graphics fell off) or if it does not improve on KSP1, then I'll stick to KSP1 with it's lag because no GPU usage and huge lag from graphics mods/large ships.

KSP2 already loses points in my book for NOT having a full solar system analogue, and still having the half-done one from KSP1... but it's not a deal breaker, and HOPEFULLY mods will fix that.

My two cents.

Well, mine depends on neceesity.

Let's say I have something to do (e.g Challenges, missions, leftover KEA reviews, etc.) in KSP1, hence I'll keep KSP1 in my drive.

But if there's something I'd like / need to do, let's say, an Orion Drive-powered ekranoplan, Interstellar SSTO Spaceplane attempts, et centra in KSP2, I'll play it then.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:30 AM, sturmhauke said:

Me too.

Before, I'm just migrating my mods to newer versions, but after realizing most mods don't work due to that, I have to slowly update my installed mods.

Thx for merging.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
Thx for merging.

It depends; as it currently stands, KSP 1 might have some exclusive features, at least for awhile. I haven't heard anything of breaking grounds robot parts making it in, for example, and it's pretty much been confirmed that some other parts won't make it in (which could be big, depending on which parts they are). KSP 1 will also have a much larger supply of mods until the community catches up with KSP 2, and some mods might take a while to migrate. I personally find Outer Planets to be a must have, and will definitely be visiting Sarnus and Neidon in KSP 1 at least a little until that or an equivalent mod makes it to KSP 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.