Too much autostrut summons the kraken?

Did a bit of googling and couldn't find very much on this. Has anyone else had a problem with excessive autostruts causing rockets to fall apart on the launchpad?

When the kraken hits, I'll hear (and sometimes even see) crashing effects during the loading screen when the screen's still black, and then when I get to the launchpad there'll be various parts knocked out of alignment, sometimes fully disconnected or even destroyed. Sometimes the vessel will then just sit there in whatever state of disrepair, sometimes it then falls apart and destroys the entire landing pad. Sometimes it seems to only affect parts in one half of the mirrored symmetry.

I've not narrowed down the exact cause, but it's only occurred so far on relatively large vessels (or large based on my current relatively low performance combo of mods and hardware - 60 - 120 parts maybe) with lots of autostruts, and seems to be fixed by removing some or all of those autostruts.

It's possible that this is just caused by the sheer number of autostruts, it could be to do with overall partcount, it might be a glitch to do with autostruts on different subassemblies (all of the craft have been assembled from separate payload and launcher subassemblies), it could relate to part clipping, it might be something about autostruts crossing fairings or cargo bays. Or it could just be some kind of mod conflict.

Has anyone had similar problems before and does anyone have any ideas as to precisely the cause and potential workarounds?

40 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Did a bit of googling and couldn't find very much on this. Has anyone else had a problem with excessive autostruts causing rockets to fall apart on the launchpad?

When the kraken hits, I'll hear (and sometimes even see) crashing effects during the loading screen when the screen's still black, and then when I get to the launchpad there'll be various parts knocked out of alignment, sometimes fully disconnected or even destroyed. Sometimes the vessel will then just sit there in whatever state of disrepair, sometimes it then falls apart and destroys the entire landing pad. Sometimes it seems to only affect parts in one half of the mirrored symmetry.

I've not narrowed down the exact cause, but it's only occurred so far on relatively large vessels (or large based on my current relatively low performance combo of mods and hardware - 60 - 120 parts maybe) with lots of autostruts, and seems to be fixed by removing some or all of those autostruts.

It's possible that this is just caused by the sheer number of autostruts, it could be to do with overall partcount, it might be a glitch to do with autostruts on different subassemblies (all of the craft have been assembled from separate payload and launcher subassemblies), it could relate to part clipping, it might be something about autostruts crossing fairings or cargo bays. Or it could just be some kind of mod conflict.

Has anyone had similar problems before and does anyone have any ideas as to precisely the cause and potential workarounds?

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod is not really with autostruts and can cause some problems.

Autostruts DONT count as physical parts and thats a VERY good thing for perfomance.(compared to normal autostruts).

Heavy Autostruts are a huge problem.Whenever you dock or undock with heavier or lighter crafts the kraken is waiting in the corner.

The trick is to use Grandparents and maybe one heavy or one root as an anchor to a very heavy part.

You can ALT+F12 and find the Visualize autostruts to see how can you build a nice ''tree'' of grandparent autostruts.

What i found from personal experience is that you can use one or two heavy autostruts and before you dock or undock or decouple switch it to grandparent.

Careful though and make sure you quicksave and quickload to avoid any problems.

Also if you switch to Heavy or Root while in flight it might ibreak your craft so becareful when you change autostruts in already launched crafts.

Lastly robotic parts are tricky with autostruts and yes if you overdone it with autostruts it might cause the vessel to fell apart but it will not affect perfomance.

Edited by Boyster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.