Blocker features in KSP2 -- what would stop you from playing it?

I don't mind paying $60USD for a good game, they're kinda expensive to make and all.
I do mind paying $60USD for the privilege of beta-testing a buggy unfinished dumpster fire until the heat death of the universe.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:36 PM, Curveball Anders said:

I don't mind paying 60 USD for a good game, but only if it's Linux native.

That'll be the same for me.

Taking the assumption that it will not be supported natively on Linux, I'll only consider buying at a deep discount price if it is marked as Gold or Platinum on protondb.

Supposing all of that, I'll probably play, but I am not sure whether using Proton will work when doing like for KSP1 where we create a separate folder to run KSP with a specific set of mods. I foresee some difficult times ahead. Also, if it is for Windows only, I fear modders also might take some short-cuts in their mods and expect a Windows-only environment....

In any case, that'll mean continue KSP1 for at least a year or two after KSP2 is out.... possibly indefinitely (I hope modders will not leave KSP1 too rapidly).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 12:12 AM, Talavar said:

What would stop me from playing it? .... An untimely death... lol

Never again will I joke about this.. Shortly after, I ended up in the hospital with Heart attack symptoms. Ever since, My life has been a rollercoaster of Medical tests, Constant fatigue, Digestive problems, Dehydration, numbness throughout my body, Massive Anxiety, and Doctors with no answers..... I logged onto the forums tonight and found that as my last post.... Seize the day my friends. Relish what you have. It can be turned upside-down in an instant.

Edited by Talavar

44 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Never again will I joke about this.. Shortly after, I ended up in the hospital with Heart attack symptoms. Ever since, My life has been a rollercoaster of Medical tests, Constant fatigue, Digestive problems, Dehydration, numbness throughout my body, Massive Anxiety, and Doctors with no answers..... I logged onto the forums tonight and found that as my last post.... Seize the day my friends. Relish what you have. It can be turned upside-down in an instant.

jesus dude, feel better soon

Like many others... if it is not native for Linux then I won't have much interest in it.

I should also emphasize that Linux support is far far more important to me than any form of multiplayer ever will be. 

1 minute ago, Kaa253 said:

I should also emphasize that Linux support is far far more important to me than any form of multiplayer ever will be. 

Same here. Couldn't care less about multiplayer, never saw the appeal in that. Sharing/exchanging craft files and/or save files has always been enough for me.

5 hours ago, Talavar said:

Oh! I hope you get better mate, that sounds horrifying. All the best wishes!

For me a blocker is everything which is just standard over the top science fiction. Forget black holes, faster than light travel, wormholes, alien civilizations etc. Let us explore stuff which makes sense in reality!

- Let me land on a moon like Io with vulcanic eruptions, toxic steam vents, earthquakes and strange gravitational effekts because it's to close to a large mass (like jupter).
- Let me land on a hot planet like venus, where I need special equipment to prevent the whole spaceship/probe from melting away.
- Let me land on a ice moon like europa and dig into an ocean under the surface. If I find some strange primitive life forms there, that would be awesome.

But please please no humanoid alien civilizations or warp drives or interdimensional crap... We have other games/movies for that.

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Dude... theres literally a picture of a black hole out there

1920px-Black_hole_-_Messier_87_crop_max_

I promise you, they make sense in reality, reality made them

I know that they are real (I am not stupid), but:

- There is no black hole in close proximity to us. (I know kerbol ist not the sun, but the whole thing is based on similarity to our solar system) We just can't reach them.
- It makes no sense to explore them with any technology we have or will have in the distant future. These things just tear you apart if you even get in the same area.

It is the same with neutron stars.

But okay. I take it back. Put some black holes in KSP, I can handle that. But please please no aliens....

And about your picture. This black hole is in another galaxy! Do you know how far another galaxy is? No Deadalus could get there even if you had a timewarp where the whole kerbal evolution is passing in one second.
And this picture is constructed from radio data. I don't want to lessen this scientific archivement when they recorded it. It is awesome that we can do this. But it's not like: "Here, I took a photo." Measuring some radiowaves is not the same like flying there...

EDIT:
Sorry. If this came out offensive. I don't mean it... I am just scared that KSP becomes like a lot of the other science fiction we already have. I was reading too much in the wishes thread and it made me sad. Sorry...

8 hours ago, fjw said:

But okay. I take it back. Put some black holes in KSP, I can handle that. But please please no aliens....

No aliens in our game about little green men!  :P  I wouldn't mind Matt Lowne-style different-colored Kerbals as an Easter egg somewhere, but gameplay around Extra-Kerbal Intelligence doesn't seem to fit the game.

Wormholes, OTOH, well I'm not sure how interstellar travel will be realized, but that was in the interviews, no?  I mean, I guess in a Kerbal-scale universe, there would be a star one light year away, but even with some futuristic propulsion that would get a rocket to some small % of the speed of light, that would be a lot of timewarping without a wormhole.  Good thing we brought infinite snacks.

9 hours ago, fjw said:

- There is no black hole in close proximity to us. (I know kerbol ist not the sun, but the whole thing is based on similarity to our solar system) We just can't reach them.

Since the kerbal system is neither ours, nor resembles ours I dont see why that matters

9 hours ago, fjw said:

- It makes no sense to explore them with any technology we have or will have in the distant future. These things just tear you apart if you even get in the same area.

We have no means of interstellar travel with our current tech either, so should we cut out the interstellar travel part of KSP 2 too?

9 hours ago, fjw said:

And about your picture. This black hole is in another galaxy! Do you know how far another galaxy is? No Deadalus could get there even if you had a timewarp where the whole kerbal evolution is passing in one second.
And this picture is constructed from radio data. I don't want to lessen this scientific archivement when they recorded it. It is awesome that we can do this. But it's not like: "Here, I took a photo." Measuring some radiowaves is not the same like flying there...

I wasn't saying that exact black hole ... I was just refuting your :

9 hours ago, fjw said:

Forget black holes, faster than light travel, wormholes, alien civilizations etc. Let us explore stuff which makes sense in reality!

Smaller black holes than those in the centers of galaxies do exist and aren't uncommon :P

Also alien life wouldn't be bad, just dont make it sentient so we dont need to do trade/politics with them. Whats so bad about alien grass and other flora?

9 hours ago, fjw said:

What does this have to do with anything?

dude...

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Since the kerbal system is neither ours, nor resembles ours I dont see why that matters

We have no means of interstellar travel with our current tech either, so should we cut out the interstellar travel part of KSP 2 too?

Smaller black holes than those in the centers of galaxies do exist and aren't uncommon :P

Also alien life wouldn't be bad, just dont make it sentient so we dont need to do trade/politics with them. Whats so bad about alien grass and other flora?

dude...

Yes but you can't "enter" a black hole. That is just sillyness. Really if they go that way relativistic effects need to be taken into account, and you can't have a structure larger than gluons (if that) as a whole entering a block hale.

So I see interstellar travel not as "travel" but as "starting a new save". I do not really like alien life, as it would simply take development time as well as processing resources from the crafts that I create.

15 hours ago, fjw said:

And this picture is constructed from radio data.

Ah, ceci n'est pas une pipe!

But anything (most) we observe "radio data": some is in the visible spectrum, some in the long wave spectrum. What "colors" you assign to them is just a matter of preference; and actually more a philosophical question than a scientific. As is the famous painting. 

11 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

dude...

i don't understand why we are arguing. I don't disagree with you in most points. You tore my post out of context implying I don't know black holes exist. I was just defending myself.

dude...

22 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Ksp1 has straight wings, turbofan engines. Is it good enough?

All ksp1 parts will appear in ksp2

Most parts in KSP1 will be in KSP2. As far as we know, the DLC parts won't be in KSP2.

33 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Most parts in KSP1 will be in KSP2. As far as we know, the DLC parts won't be in KSP2.

Even the Making History parts?  I had heard the robotics wouldn't be there, and understandably so, but I'm surprised they're not adding the MH stuff.  Well, I really hope they have something like engine plates and structural tubes - those were really missing from the base game.