Unexplained gel, AKA Mystery Goo, discovered on Moon

Superfluous J

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/unexplained-gel-like-substance-unusual-19112236.amp

I'm not saying anything, but I'm just saying.

They say it has an unusual color. They don't say what color but come on we all know it's green.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Spoiler

Hypothesis 1:
A protomolecule. It's already here, resistance is futile, let's start joining.

Hypothesis 2:
Do we know where exactly did the Apollos vent out their bioproducts before starting back?

Edited by kerbiloid

Y'know, it would be The Surprise of Millenium if we'd find life on the Moon. I mean, no one seriously considered this happening since early XX century science fiction writers. Mars, Venus, ice giant moons - sure, we were willing to theorise to our hearts desire about hypothetical lifeforms that could evolve in such places. But naked, bone dry, radiation - blasted Moon? Nah.

42 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Y'know, it would be The Surprise of Millenium if we'd find life on the Moon. I mean, no one seriously considered this happening since early XX century science fiction writers. Mars, Venus, ice giant moons - sure, we were willing to theorise to our hearts desire about hypothetical lifeforms that could evolve in such places. But naked, bone dry, radiation - blasted Moon? Nah.

Looks like quarantining the Apollo astronauts was actually not a waste of time and money.
In al honesty I doubt it is life

9 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Looks like quarantining the Apollo astronauts was actually not a waste of time and money.
In al honesty I doubt it is life

So do i. But...

star-trek-quote-17-picture-quote-1.jpg

Moon's surface is rich in silicon. What are the chances a silicon life evolved early on, when said surface was hot and active?

Alternatively, it might be some sort of exotic mineral refusing to boil off in vacuum, despite it's consistency :)

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I'll put my money on nanoparticles. They can behave like semisolids even when anhydrous, and there's lots of opportunities to make them on the Moon. Definitely looking forward to hearing more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo

Let's hope this gel is not really strange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet#Dangers

Edited by kerbiloid

This is all a product of three things:

- partially silly secrecy of China

- average Americans not knowing what gel is

- American media clickbaiting online

Glass, unless exceptionally pure, is a gel. Gel is not necessarily a wobbly thing you eat. It's a solid colloid. Volcanic glass is gel because it contains colloidal particles suspended in glassy matrix.

There's literally nothing weird about this.

4 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

This is all a product of three things:

- partially silly secrecy of China

- average Americans not knowing what gel is

- American media clickbaiting online

Glass, unless exceptionally pure, is a gel. Gel is not necessarily a wobbly thing you eat. It's a solid colloid. Volcanic glass is gel because it contains colloidal particles suspended in glassy matrix.

There's literally nothing weird about this.

The goo doesn’t jiggle and wobble as the craft flies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.