KSP 2 "bull session" with DasValdez today! 3PM PDT

Snark

It's true!

We'll be hanging out near the exit to the gameplay presentation doing "exit interviews" with community members to see what they think... and speculate about what they saw! If you're at PAX (and for some reason reading the forums at lunch ha) stop on by...

1 hour ago, DasValdez said:

It's true!

We'll be hanging out near the exit to the gameplay presentation doing "exit interviews" with community members to see what they think... and speculate about what they saw! If you're at PAX (and for some reason reading the forums at lunch ha) stop on by...

If I had gotten a ticket in time, I'd totally stop by, but, welcome to the w/b/est coast!  I hope you get to visit the free-range, organic donut shop!  We have many, but may I suggest Top Pot!

Edited by Bosun

So... where exactly is this taking place? I see hash tags and pictures, and DV's Twitch stream is hosting some other guy.

Oh it's like, LIVE live. I thought it was live on the Internet. Oh well, enjoy!

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Where is the stream? I just see normal KSP gameplay, but then again I don't know how to work twitch.

Ahhh, it was a physical meetup at the booth.

Don't worry, took lots of video and will recap everything when I return home (Monday), including our roundtable, the interview with the devs, and the gameplay footage.

Just watched this interview.  Was a good watch if anybody has 20 minutes.  The most interesting quotes that I heard from the interview between DasValdez and Nate Simpson ("Creative Director" for KSP2) are below.  Nate Simpson mentions in the interview he started playing KSP in the 2012 timeframe with alpha version 0.15.

14:35
DasValdez (referring to the Orion drive): "If I launch that over the space center, is it a problem?"
Nate Simpson: "It's a huge problem."

15:20
DasValdez
(referring to Metallic Hydrogen): "It's a new resource. Do I have to go harvest it? Or can I go harvest it?"
Nate Simpson: "You don't harvest...uh, elemental metallic hydrogen. You synthesize it from other collected resources."..."Resource collection is a big part of the progression in our game; and there's a lot more resources to collect."..."One of the things that colonies do is synthesize those natural resources into fuel types and other natural resources."

17:40 When Das asks about the tediousness of making a colony work, and the balancing of how much time is required to be invested, this was Nate Simpson's response:
Nate Simpson: "This is a game that is principally about building, flying and crashing rockets. And the base system was built to augment that experience, not distract from that experience."

18:35 Das asks about the "orbital VAB" mechanic, on how you build a craft in space
Nate Simpson: "There is a colonial VAB, that you've seen in the trailer, it's that box that is sitting as part of the colony"..."At the end of the trailer you see a vehicle land on it."..."That is a colonial VAB for terrestrial building."..."There is also an orbital VAB."..."The interface for that VAB is similar in that you have a parts palette on the side, but the only physical boundary that you are building within is that big long truss with the robot arms on it...so you have no practical size constraints"

5:10 And the most comforting statement out of the whole thing, which gives me confidence KSP2 is in good hands:
Nate Simpson (talking about developer/community interaction): "This is a conversation. And it's going be a conversation; in the same way that the original Kerbal Space Program has been sort of a collaboration between Squad and the community in some ways since 2012, 2011." :)

Edited by Raptor9

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

5:10 And the most comforting statement out of the whole thing, which gives me confidence KSP2 is in good hands:
Nate Simpson (talking about developer/community interaction): "This is a conversation. And it's going be a conversation; in the same way that the original Kerbal Space Program has been sort of a collaboration between Squad and the community in some ways since 2012, 2011." :)

In terms of conversations and comfort levels... not from that interview, but from the roundtable at their office a few days before:

When I said it would be nice if we could lock the rotation of auto sun-tracking solar panels... they said something to the effect of "Wait, that would be useful?" and literally grabbed a notepad to jot it down. 

Cool. I'm feeling a little conflicted about the multiple resources thing, I feel that it might distract too much from the rocket-building to be fun, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

Cool. I'm feeling a little conflicted about the multiple resources thing, I feel that it might distract too much from the rocket-building to be fun, but we'll see.

It's true ressources gathering in KSP 1 was not that fun, but we can except the devs to make exciting and satisfying in KSP 2...hope so

Edited by Kaerbanogue

7 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Yah, that's certainly a valid concern, and I share it.

However, they made it very clearly explicit that they want to keep the focus of the game on building and flying rockets, and that they don't want to let other aspects distract too much from that. So their hearts appear to be in the right place, as far as I can see, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until we know more about how things will work.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

However, they made it very clearly explicit that they want to keep the focus of the game on building and flying rockets, and that they don't want to let other aspects distract too much from that. So their hearts appear to be in the right place, as far as I can see, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until we know more about how things will work.

Oh, same. I'm very much giving them the benefit of the doubt and I'm liking well over 90% of what I've been seeing and hearing -- which is better than I can say for almost any game I can think of. Thanks a lot for taking the time to keep us updated with this "inside" info btw, both in this thread and other ones!

7 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I straight up told them I was super concerned about the colonies becoming Milk Run Simulator 3000. Said there has to be some automation or something once you get it going, so my game doesnt become "now we must bring 100 loads of Hydrogen to the colony" before we can launch an interstellar ship.

The devs about popped a blood vessel not responding because it's clearly something they've thought about, and have plans for, but weren't ready to let the cat out of the bag yet.

I like flying resources about, it gives me a reason to build, fly, go places and do stuff.

The waiting for resources to actually be mined, however... well that's usually a coffee break as I sit and do nothing for a bit.

I can see some compelling gameplay if there's a logical progression of resources being needed and available, with manual collection being replaced by the challenge of building up infrastructure. Further manual collection could shift to more challenging resources and locations, with then the challenge of building up infrastructure there too... and so on.

On that note, I'm surprised no one's asked the devs yet whether the seas on Eve really are made out of rocket fuel.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:33 PM, Jimmidii said:

I like flying resources about, it gives me a reason to build, fly, go places and do stuff.

The waiting for resources to actually be mined, however... well that's usually a coffee break as I sit and do nothing for a bit.

I can see some compelling gameplay if there's a logical progression of resources being needed and available, with manual collection being replaced by the challenge of building up infrastructure. Further manual collection could shift to more challenging resources and locations, with then the challenge of building up infrastructure there too... and so on.

On that note, I'm surprised no one's asked the devs yet whether the seas on Eve really are made out of rocket fuel.

Amen to this. Manual collection at first, which gradually moves to automation, is what I'm hoping for.