DasValdez KSP2 Interview Information

GoldForest

...as a person who used to help my grandfather with beekeeping, I am extremely angry about the way we're misusing the term "drone." I'm also pretty sure that, if we somehow survive into 2100s, there will still be sailors angry about the spacers using the term "dry dock" incorrectly :D.

23 minutes ago, ModZero said:

...as a person who used to help my grandfather with beekeeping, I am extremely angry about the way we're misusing the term "drone." I'm also pretty sure that, if we somehow survive into 2100s, there will still be sailors angry about the spacers using the term "dry dock" incorrectly :D.

Technically, space docks aren't exactly wet with seawater...:D

23 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Technically, space docks aren't exactly wet with seawater...:D

They have been sprayed with seawater since 2097. It is imported and maintained at great expense specifically to spite the sailors.

Since we're discussing this kind of thing, how come when you deliver something by car it's called a shipment, but when you deliver something by ship, it's called cargo?

2 hours ago, ModZero said:

as a person who used to help my grandfather with beekeeping, I am extremely angry about the way we're misusing the term "drone."

And now you have me wondering what a queen UAV would look like 

2 hours ago, ModZero said:

They have been sprayed with seawater since 2097. It is imported and maintained at great expense specifically to spite the sailors.

That's legit.  If the space station's seams between the panels are sealed with pitch, than the sea-water, containing salt, will cause the wood to expand and hold that moisture, putting pressure on the seams, and thereby sealing them.  ;) For a wood-deck space station, that's vital to prevent leaks and decompression.  Letting the decks dry out would cause so much dry rot on that there dry dock.

Honestly that's a cool concept.  Brackish water may be entirely useful for sanitation, or could be a very important part of a reclamation system for purifying or cleaning the water.  The excess salt could be used in many ways if the water is boiled off from it.  

I could think of a a couple plausible reasons you would want salt water on a space station :)

Edited by Bosun

On 9/1/2019 at 11:45 AM, KerikBalm said:

Does the KSP2 team understand that an Orion drive uses shaped charges with highly directional blasts? Based on the graphics and statements here, I have doubts.

Sure being to the side still shouldn't be good, but being behind it would be terrible. A force should go out in all directions, fine - but it should be very uneven

Judging by the shape of the explosions in the pre-alpha footage and the fact that these will be launching on top of, not necessarily next to, bases, I'd say yes, they get that. Radiation is also something they've not answered questions about in a suspicious way (and there appears to be a radiation shield part), so that's probably a concern too (I assume the shot of the Daedelus drive in the trailer was just for scale).

I don't expect this to make it in, but I wonder if you could have customizable shapes... no everyone wants to use this thing, er, "conventionally"...

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername