Name the Orbital VAB (preliminary poll)

GoldForest

So, people are suggesting lots of names for the new Orbital/ Space VAB that we see in the trailer, the one that launches Daedalus. I'm making this thread so that we can actually get a clear answer. Obviously it can't be called the VAB as one, there's no vertical in space and two, there's no building. I'm doing this to help Star Theory come up with a name for the Space Sation VAB.

How this is going to work(rules):

One suggestion per posts allowed. This is to make it easier to vote. You are allowed to post another name in another reply. Wait 5 minutes between posts so that your posts do not get merged if no one has replied after you. 

Voting for names will be done via the "Like this" button on posts. At the end of the week(friday) I will make a real poll with the top 10 answers.

Duplicate posts will count towards the vote.

Multiple answer posts, posts that give more than one name, will be ignored. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Obviously it can't be called the VAB as one, there's no vertical in space and two, there's no building.

V in VAB is Vehicle Assembly Buidling. It did mean "vertical" at some point, but there are certainly vehicles in space. So

Space VAB

I also had a joke where we could adapt it to SVBIED, but that got way too dark way too fast.

23 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

My favorite:

VAP = Vehicle Assembly Platform

Others:

VACS = Vehicle Assembly Construction Station

VAS =  Vehicle Assembly Station

One name per post please.

14 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

V in VAB is Vehicle Assembly Buidling. It did mean "vertical" at some point, but there are certainly vehicles in space. So

Space VAB

I also had a joke where we could adapt it to SVBIED, but that got way too dark way too fast.

Even then, VAB can't be used because there is no building.

OLGA. Orbital Large General Assembler, because that thing should enable a ridiculous build volume. Also I don't actually like this name.

SAZ. Space Assembly Zone. I don't much like this name either.

GARY. General Assembly Rocket Yard. Yes this is just getting worse.

SCAM. Space Craft high-Altitude Maker. Bad enough yet?

COW. Constructor Off-World. .....

Why am I even posting these? Because I don't believe for a second that Star Theory haven't already decided on a name unless they publicly state they need help coming up with one, the only thing this thread could hope to accomplish is give them an option to upgrade what they have already decided if someone actually manages to come up with an incredibly good name - or far more likely just give us people with too much time on our hands a few good chuckles. If anyone thought any of the above jokes was anything but awful then feel free to repost that one, I'm not upvoting any of them and only posted for a few uninspired giggles so that's why I deliberately went out of my way to go against the rule of only submitting one suggestion per post.

Edit: Wow it does seem like they actually for real haven't decided yet, thanks @TBenz for link to proof because I can still barely believe this. Not gonna listen to that an extra time to make sure though, the audio was a dozen flavors of discomfort for my ears.

Edited by Rejected Spawn

22 minutes ago, Rejected Spawn said:

OLGA. Orbital Large General Assembler, because that thing should enable a ridiculous build volume. Also I don't actually like this name.

SAZ. Space Assembly Zone. I don't much like this name either.

GARY. General Assembly Rocket Yard. Yes this is just getting worse.

SCAM. Space Craft high-Altitude Maker. Bad enough yet?

COW. Constructor Off-World. .....

Why am I even posting these? Because I don't believe for a second that Star Theory haven't already decided on a name unless they publicly state they need help coming up with one, the only thing this thread could hope to accomplish is give them an option to upgrade what they have already decided if someone actually manages to come up with an incredibly good name - or far more likely just give us people with too much time on our hands a few good chuckles. If anyone thought any of the above jokes was anything but awful then feel free to repost that one, I'm not upvoting any of them and only posted for a few uninspired giggles so that's why I deliberately went out of my way to go against the rule of only submitting one suggestion per post.

They haven't. Check the Interview with Nate Simpson done by @DasValdez

But to be honest, GARY General Assembly Rocket Yard isn't half bad. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 minutes ago, Rejected Spawn said:

For lack of anything better to do I'll make some real suggestions, now that I've mostly recovered from the shock.

BOB. Big Orbital Builder. Soft start, it's still not too serious but easy to say and makes sense.

What shock? The shock that Star Theory doesn't have a name for the Orbital VAB

Finally the Non Atmospheric Constructor suggests I have a NAC for this, hahaaa.... haaa...... yeah.

Anyway there are only so many variations that actually end up being creative; without adding meaningless words you have the location which I figure can be described with [Orbit, Space, Vacuum, Non Atmospheric or Micro Gravity] and the function which boils down to some variant of [Assembly, Building, Construction/Creation, Making, Forging or Fabricating] and the only fitting word I can think of for something that is an open volume (as opposed to something like the VAB) would be a "zone". With these very limited options that are apparent after a good minute of thinking about the possibilities or a few minutes if you need a dictionary (not everyone has a large english vocabulary) I still completely seriously have trouble understanding how Star Theory couldn't at least nail a really good candidate between all of them over the course of however long they've been working on the game. So yes @GoldForest I really meant that it kind of shocked me a little, that part wasn't a joke.

Not sure if anyone else feels that it's a bit premature to have this thread going but I for one would like to see the thing we're trying to name up close and in action in order to come up with something that will be truly relevant, I'd much prefer to infuse its unique flavor of appearance and function into the name if at all possible. Anyway I've binge watched 15 hours of anime and need sleep, no more suggestions from me.

7 minutes ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Finally the Non Atmospheric Constructor suggests I have a NAC for this, hahaaa.... haaa...... yeah.

Anyway there are only so many variations that actually end up being creative; without adding meaningless words you have the location which I figure can be described with [Orbit, Space, Vacuum, Non Atmospheric or Micro Gravity] and the function which boils down to some variant of [Assembly, Building, Construction/Creation, Making, Forging or Fabricating] and the only fitting word I can think of for something that is an open volume (as opposed to something like the VAB) would be a "zone". With these very limited options that are apparent after a good minute of thinking about the possibilities or a few minutes if you need a dictionary (not everyone has a large english vocabulary) I still completely seriously have trouble understanding how Star Theory couldn't at least nail a really good candidate between all of them over the course of however long they've been working on the game. So yes @GoldForest I really meant that it kind of shocked me a little, that part wasn't a joke.

Not sure if anyone else feels that it's a bit premature to have this thread going but I for one would like to see the thing we're trying to name up close and in action in order to come up with something that will be truly relevant, I'd much prefer to infuse its unique flavor of appearance and function into the name if at all possible. Anyway I've binge watched 15 hours of anime and need sleep, no more suggestions from me.

Hmmm, maybe we should do suggestions for an array of words rather than actual suggestions for names. Like you said, there's only so many word combinations we can really do.

12 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You build it as part of the colony system right? Then like any vehicle or ship you can name it whatever and assign it a class.

No, you misunderstand. 

There are two new building modes in KSP 2. 

Colonial VABs and Space Station VABs. 

Now, you can't call the space station VAB a VAB because there is no building. So, we need a new name for it. 

This thread is to help make names for Star Theory. 

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

VAB can't be used because there is no building.

I do quite a bit of building in the VAB ;)

Anyway, my vote is is actually Orbital VAB. For 2 reasons:

1. You know exactly what it means no matter how wrong it is technically.
  2. The Cubic Octagonal Strut has exactly the same problem and nobody minds.

28 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I do quite a bit of building in the VAB ;)

Anyway, my vote is is actually Orbital VAB. For 2 reasons:

1. You know exactly what it means no matter how wrong it is technically.
  2. The Cubic Octagonal Strut has exactly the same problem and nobody minds.

While I do understand this, it would be confusing and I feel they are already hard at work trying to come up with a name to replace Orbital VAB

Although, we could just change the words while keeping the letters. 

Vehicle Assembly Base... mmm, nah, doesn't sound right. 

Vehicle Assembly Truss would be good for me. Only changes one word.