Name the Orbital VAB (preliminary poll)

GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

No, you misunderstand. 

There are two new building modes in KSP 2. 

Colonial VABs and Space Station VABs. 

Now, you can't call the space station VAB a VAB because there is no building. So, we need a new name for it. 

This thread is to help make names for Star Theory. 

So there's going to be a VAB in space from the beginning of the game? Hope it can be disabled because that really defeats the point of building literally anything on Kerbin especially in career. 

My personal pettiness aside; I think it should have a name which is straightforward and to the point.

Orbital Storage And Assembly Yard would fit the bill (OSAY for short)

14 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

So there's going to be a VAB in space from the beginning of the game? Hope it can be disabled because that really defeats the point of building literally anything on Kerbin especially in career. 

My personal pettiness aside; I think it should have a name which is straightforward and to the point.

Orbital Storage And Assembly Yard would fit the bill (OSAY for short)

No, it's not from the start. It's a feature you can add to your space stations. Once you build your station large enough, you can build a Space Dock like structure which will allow you to use the Orbital VAB

And you will want to use them, because some of the interstellar ships won't be able to get off the ground, nor could you assemble them by docking. Look at the trailer, you'll see Project Daedalus launching from a Space Station. The seen where lasers fire inside the engine bell. 

3 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You build it as part of the colony system right? Then like any vehicle or ship you can name it whatever and assign it a class.

Right. Same with a ship.

But a ship has a capsule, and that capsule has a name. A specific name. Mk1 Capsule. Lander Can. Whatever. We're musing on the name of that name, for the "Orbital VAB."

Essentially, we're not discussing the ship name, but the part name.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

No, it's not from the start. It's a feature you can add to your space stations. Once you build your station large enough, you can build a Space Dock like structure which will allow you to use the Orbital VAB

And you will want to use them, because some of the interstellar ships won't be able to get off the ground, nor could you assemble them by docking. Look at the trailer, you'll see Project Daedalus launching from a Space Station. The seen where lasers fire inside the engine bell. 

You're really confusing me now; previously you said it's not from the colony system. Implying it's something outside.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Right. Same with a ship.

But a ship has a capsule, and that capsule has a name. A specific name. Mk1 Capsule. Lander Can. Whatever. We're musing on the name of that name, for the "Orbital VAB."

Essentially, we're not discussing the ship name, but the part name.

And now i'm completely lost; is this thing a PART? That's unlocked via an achievement or something? And you have to launch it to rendezvous with the station or if previously unlocked make sure it's already part of the station?

Really not trying to give you guys grief; I've been following KSP2 development as closely as possible and I had thought I had a pretty good idea what they were doing for this stuff but between these two comments i'm completely gone. 

4 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You're really confusing me now; previously you said it's not from the colony system. Implying it's something outside.

And now i'm completely lost; is this thing a PART? That's unlocked via an achievement or something? And you have to launch it to rendezvous with the station or if previously unlocked make sure it's already part of the station?

Really not trying to give you guys grief; I've been following KSP2 development as closely as possible and I had thought I had a pretty good idea what they were doing for this stuff but between these two comments i'm completely gone. 

Colonial VAB = A Colony part that gives you access to the VAB of a Colony. 

Orbital/Space VAB = A Space Station part that can be attached to the station and allows access to a VAB which then can launch rockets from said Space Station. 

Watch the video and puase it at 1:49. See the robotic arms to the left of the screen? That's the Space Station's VAB. It lets you launch rockets from the Space Station like what's happening there now. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Colonial VAB = A Colony part that gives you access to the VAB of a Colony. 

Orbital/Space VAB = A Space Station part that can be attached to the station and allows access to a VAB which then can launch rockets from said Space Station. 

Watch the video and puase it at 1:49. See the robotic arms to the left of the screen? That's the Space Station's VAB. It lets you launch rockets from the Space Station like what's happening there now. 

Reveal hidden contents

Hm; alright. But if it's a part then i'm curious to see how it adapts to rocket sizes; or if it has a special config that allows "Upgrades" to increase size/part count etc.

And i'm guessing a Space Colony VAB would work similar? Makes me wonder how all of that's put together progression wise; since they're already talking about colonies growing via "Milestones" it would make sense that the Space VAB Part would unlock once something like that happened. But all that's well outside the scope of this thread; thanks for clearing up my confusion regardless.

And since we're going to have stuff like Orion Drives and the like.....if this thing is a part; then what's stopping me from putting it on some hilariously stupid huge interstellar ship. Some of the IRL concepts were more than large enough for Shipbuilding infrastructure to be on them.

Though no matter what it seems my fears of breaking progression were unfounded; it seems they're going to make you earn something like this (Rightfully).

20 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I can't see how you'd build something in orbit in a VAB-type interface without having to launch something up there. We don't know if you launch it up or launch up multiple parts that then become it, but they'd have to go out of their way to code it such that you don't end up with some part (as in, a Unity "part" object) that the player can't point to and say "this is how I interface with the __________."

And that _________ is the topic of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

And since we're going to have stuff like Orion Drives and the like.....if this thing is a part; then what's stopping me from putting it on some hilariously stupid huge interstellar ship. Some of the IRL concepts were more than large enough for Shipbuilding infrastructure to be on them.

Nothing is stopping you. That is the beauty of KSP. If you have an orbital VAB attached to resource miners attached to asteroids and a Orion drive, you can spew out landers everywhere.

Just now, Xd the great said:

Nothing is stopping you. That is the beauty of KSP. If you have an orbital VAB attached to resource miners attached to asteroids and a Orion drive, you can spew out landers everywhere.

Gentlemen we're literally one KOs script away from legit Von-Neumann probes; then again I wouldn't be shocked if they had automation already baked in. And considering the real possibility that thrusting out of focus is a thing in KSP2.....you could actually make a serious attempt at a completely autonomous exploration of whatever star systems they have implemented. That's exciting! 

13 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Hm; alright. But if it's a part then i'm curious to see how it adapts to rocket sizes; or if it has a special config that allows "Upgrades" to increase size/part count etc.

And i'm guessing a Space Colony VAB would work similar? Makes me wonder how all of that's put together progression wise; since they're already talking about colonies growing via "Milestones" it would make sense that the Space VAB Part would unlock once something like that happened. But all that's well outside the scope of this thread; thanks for clearing up my confusion regardless.

Though no matter what it seems my fears of breaking progression were unfounded; it seems they're going to make you earn something like this (Rightfully).

I think it will be a milestone unlock for Space Colonies. Not sure if it's a part you can freely add to the ship. It might be in the Space Colony builder only. 

Hopefully they just give it to us, but there might be limits.

3 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

That's exciting! 

Holy [snip by me] we can create so much chaos! Imagine all the "landers" clogging up the game!

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I think it will be a milestone unlock for Space Colonies. Not sure if it's a part you can freely add to the ship. It might be in the Space Colony builder only. 

Hopefully they just give it to us, but there might be limits.

Still, if my orbital colony gets this, some asteroids, some resource gathering and refining probes, and a powerful engine...

7 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

For lack of anything better to do I'll make some real suggestions, now that I've mostly recovered from the shock.

BOB. Big Orbital Builder. Soft start, it's still not too serious but easy to say and makes sense.

Only if the colony platforms are called

Paul - planetary assembly unified launch. 

they are large trusses right.

we could look at it in a different way. Your orbital colony is the shipyard for spacecraft, or a craftyard, then, if it is 'the norm' that you have multiple trusses on one craftyard, then these trusses can be called CYTs, or CraftYard Trusses .

Although, it is ambiguous whether it is a K-sound or a See-sound.

Me tworings stuff at the wall to see if it sticks

Spoiler
3 hours ago, ModZero said:

Large Mass Assembler - Orbital.

Large Orbital Module Assembler (LOBA) -- sounds like the orbital base editor, since base-parts seem to be called modules.

Orbital Module Assembly Dock/Truss (OMAD, OMAT)

nah, not the ones either....

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Vehicle Assembly Truss was also good. 

Space Craft Assembly Truss, .... looks at this a second time,..... nononono bad idea. bad idea.

so let's move on to the other obvious alternative

Space Craft Assembly Dock (SCAD), but then it may sound too much like the other one.

Space Craft Assembly Facility, Space Craft Assembly Yard, Space Craft Assembly Beam (SCAB), Space Craft Assembly Platform (SCAP). Aha: Space Craft Resource Assembly Platform (SCRAP), I could even rebuild this one to a Craft Resource Assembly Platform (CRAP). Then that is the planetbased colony version, with the the spacebased version having an "orbital" in front of it: "O-CRAP" , or maybe a Craft Resource Assembly Facility Truss

Spoiler

About docks,

you could use drydock, dock, spacedock, but all these options don't give a vowel. Vowels are in short supply in this case, or at least they are in the wrong places with where you'd want to place the words. In dutch there is this word (ijl) that refers to a loack of air. Air gets very ijl as you go up a mountain, for instance. So an aildock (with an englishized version) would refer to a dock without air like a drydock refers to a dock without water. In both cases the name captures an essential reason for building such a dock, and it would give us a vowel to play with. but alas, the closest I come is stale, no vowel. Ail, instead, means something else.

VAT is already good, as is OOF, for Orbital Operation Facility, or for "OOF, thats heavy, we can't launch that from Kerbin." (What about Orbital Assembly Facility or OAF). A really good one has to have some Planned Unnoticed Namepointing going on.

15 hours ago, MechBFP said:

VACS = Vehicle Assembly Construction Station

VAC'D = Vehicle Assembly Construction Dock, it is also a vacuumed facility.

ETE (pronounce similar to EVE), for Extra-Terrestrial Editor., nah that isn't it either, What is being edited?

EDIT: Microgravity Assembly Dock, for ships to MAD to be launched from kerbin

Semi-good results:

CYT: Craftyard Truss

VAC'D = Vehicle Assembly Construction Dock, it is also a vacuumed facility.

SCAD: Space Craft Assembly Truss

O-CRAP:Orbital - Craft Resource Assembly Platform

CRAFT: Craft Resource Assembly Facility Truss

OOF, for Orbital Operation Facility, or for "OOF, thats heavy, we can't launch that from Kerbin." -- this one is not mine, it just wasn't mentioned here yet.

OAL: Orbital Assembly Location

or maybe we should just call them a Vacuum Assembly Beam and be done with it.

Edited by nikokespprfan