Name the Orbital VAB (preliminary poll)

GoldForest

On 9/2/2019 at 2:36 AM, GoldForest said:

So, people are suggesting lots of names for the new Orbital/ Space VAB that we see in the trailer, the one that launches Daedalus. I'm making this thread so that we can actually get a clear answer. Obviously it can't be called the VAB as one, there's no vertical in space and two, there's no building. I'm doing this to help Star Theory come up with a name for the Space Sation VAB.

How this is going to work(rules):

One suggestion per posts allowed. This is to make it easier to vote. You are allowed to post another name in another reply. Wait 5 minutes between posts so that your posts do not get merged if no one has replied after you. 

Voting for names will be done via the "Like this" button on posts. At the end of the week(friday) I will make a real poll with the top 10 answers.

Duplicate posts will count towards the vote.

Multiple answer posts, posts that give more than one name, will be ignored. 

There is already a name IIRC.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, TBenz said:

Orbital Dry Dock. ODD

I like this name, but in order for me to really get behind it the truss would need to act like a dry dock. That is, a previously launched ship would need to be able to redock or otherwise re-enter the drydock, which would then give you the ability to repair or upgrade the ship using the editor. One can hope... :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2019 at 12:35 AM, Leopard said:

Silly: station mcstationface

less silly: Kerbin highport, or just Kerbin High

Why would a construction facility need to be located around Kerbin? The trailer shows a Daedalus being built around Jool, so the name Kerbin [anything] isn't really suitable.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:00 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Why would a construction facility need to be located around Kerbin? The trailer shows a Daedalus being built around Jool, so the name Kerbin [anything] isn't really suitable.

so name it Jool High or similar, using the convention from Traveller, the orbital bit is place High and the ground bit is place Low, or place Down. where "place" is a world name or sometimes a large city where there are several such stations

Station Mc Stationface is is then

On 9/1/2019 at 6:36 PM, GoldForest said:

So, people are suggesting lots of names for the new Orbital/ Space VAB that we see in the trailer, the one that launches Daedalus. I'm making this thread so that we can actually get a clear answer. Obviously it can't be called the VAB as one, there's no vertical in space and two, there's no building. I'm doing this to help Star Theory come up with a name for the Space Sation VAB.

How this is going to work(rules):

One suggestion per posts allowed. This is to make it easier to vote. You are allowed to post another name in another reply. Wait 5 minutes between posts so that your posts do not get merged if no one has replied after you. 

Voting for names will be done via the "Like this" button on posts. At the end of the week(friday) I will make a real poll with the top 10 answers.

Duplicate posts will count towards the vote.

Multiple answer posts, posts that give more than one name, will be ignored. 

Orbital vehicle dry dock sounds fitting & realistic.

2 hours ago, Leopard said:

so name it Jool High or similar, using the convention from Traveller, the orbital bit is place High and the ground bit is place Low, or place Down. where "place" is a world name or sometimes a large city where there are several such stations

This isn't about naming a particular station - it's about naming the interface/virtual building that's used to design and build *all* stations in the game.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, Leopard said:

Like the VAB, the name of the dock shouldn't depend on where it is, or its altitude. Players can name their Vehicle Assembly Bases all they want, but they should be able to all be called one thing, like all cities are cities regardless of location.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:24 PM, Norcalplanner said:

I like this name, but in order for me to really get behind it the truss would need to act like a dry dock. That is, a previously launched ship would need to be able to redock or otherwise re-enter the drydock, which would then give you the ability to repair or upgrade the ship using the editor. One can hope... :)

The ability to dock a ship (or land one back at the KSC) and stick it back on another ship or upgrade it sounds fitting for a game where reusability is a popular challenge.