Petition for Scott Manley to narrate KSP 2 tutorials

Micahve

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

There will be no voice-overs for the Kerbals, they will only scream in terror and probably grunt and groan. 

Yes, but Scott Manley has been the father of all kerbals since the dawn of time... And he should lead a new generation of players by being the tutorial kerbal in the game!

20 minutes ago, Micahve said:

Yes, but Scott Manley has been the father of all kerbals since the dawn of time... And he should lead a new generation of players by being the tutorial kerbal in the game!

We don't even know if it will be a voice-over tutorial might just be a Kerbal saying, "Do this." And then grunting with happiness when you complete the task like in the original game. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We don't even know if it will be a voice-over tutorial might just be a Kerbal saying, "Do this." And then grunting with happiness when you complete the task like in the original game. 

That's why we should all sign the petition to make it happen!!

11 minutes ago, Micahve said:

You can't get any better than Scott Manley he is the father of us all

First, down with parasocial relationships. 2nd, Chrisjen Avasarala does voice work, she's even in Destiny 2, and has objectively (OBJECTIVELY!!!1!1!one) the best voice ever.

Edited by ModZero

[MOD - Edited thread title for clarity - titles are supposed to summarize the main message of your topic, not where you re-write your username]

And now, taking off my mod hat to provide my own personal opinion...

1 hour ago, Micahve said:

Yes, but Scott Manley has been the father of all kerbals since the dawn of time...

While Scott Manley may be an influential YouTube personality who helped promote and popularize the game, claiming that he is "the father of all kerbals" is too much of a stretch - Manley was never one of the developers of the game.

1 hour ago, Micahve said:

And he should lead a new generation of players by being the tutorial kerbal in the game!

There are a few practical reasons why KSP 2's game tutorials shouldn't be narrated:

• Game mechanics tweaks between updates may mean changes to the tutorial content and text, meaning Manley would need to frequently come back in to re-record his narration.
  • KSP and KSP 2 are games with international appeal, and has been localized into different languages to cater for different markets. If Manley (or anyone) was hired as the English-language narrator, players of other languages and locales would demand that their favorite YouTubers or voice actors of their own native tongue be bought in to narrate their versions of the game as well, which would significantly increase development costs.
  • The tutorial is a very short, initial part of the gameplay experience; once players have completed the tutorial, they will never hear the narration ever again as they would immediately skip the tutorial for any new savegames they start.
  • As an educational game used by some schools for STEM courses, un-narrated tutorials are good for training students in vital reading comprehension skills, particularly important for those pursuing careers in science and engineering.

This is why even major MMOs like Star Trek Online (which actually hired many of the original actors from the Star Trek TV shows) only have narration for short, generic dialogues and soundbites that can be recycled for future content.

37 minutes ago, Micahve said:

That's why we should all sign the petition to make it happen!!

30 minutes ago, ModZero said:

Petition to hire actual voice actors to narrate KSP 2 tutorials.

Game development is not a democracy.

Yes, developers can take into account user feedback, bug reports and feature requests, but at the end of the day they will implement game features based on what feasibly fits into their overall vision of the game and what nets them the greatest return on financial investment.

Edited by sumghai
Fixed incorrectly-attributed quote

2 minutes ago, sumghai said:

Yeah, when you put it like that, I see it...

Atleast we will have KSP 2 tutorials from Scott on the youtubes!

Edited by sumghai
Snipped overly-long quote

3 minutes ago, sumghai said:

Yes, developers can take into account user feedback, bug reports and feature requests, but at the end of the day they will implement game features based on what feasibly fits into their overall vision of the game and what nets them the greatest return on financial investment.

That may be true but getting Scott to narrate the tutorials will possibly fulfil this criteria, and it'll make some more KSP1 players buy it.

7 minutes ago, sumghai said:

That was kind-of one of my two points (the other is that professional voice actors are, y'know, professional voice actors): petitioning commercial companies is something best done rather sparsely.

Edit:

As an educational game used by some schools for STEM courses, un-narrated tutorials are good for training students in vital reading comprehension skills, particularly important for those pursuing careers in science and engineering.

I do have to resent this comment, though. "Vital reading comprehension skills" set in contrast to voiced tutorials pass unpleasantly close to exclusive. Depending on visual acuity (I'm pretty sure my eyesight is going to go bust before I retire) this just goes a bit across accessibility functions. While hopefully we'll have font size settings, and the game does inherently depend on having some visual function, depending that people consume "written" material just to "teach them something" is not okay.

Edited by ModZero

14 minutes ago, sumghai said:

[MOD - Edited thread title for clarity - titles are supposed to summarize the main message of your topic, not where you re-write your username]

While Scott Manley may be an influential YouTube personality who helped promote and popularize the game, claiming that he is "the father of all kerbals" is too much of a stretch - Manley was never one of the developers of the game.

There are a few practical reasons why KSP 2's game tutorials shouldn't be narrated:

• Game mechanics tweaks between updates may mean changes to the tutorial content and text, meaning Manley would need to frequently come back in to re-record his narration.
  • KSP and KSP 2 are games with international appeal, and has been localized into different languages to cater for different markets. If Manley (or anyone) was hired as the English-language narrator, players of other languages and locales would demand that their favorite YouTubers or voice actors of their own native tongue be bought in to narrate their versions of the game as well, which would significantly increase development costs.
  • The tutorial is a very short, initial part of the gameplay experience; once players have completed the tutorial, they will never hear the narration ever again as they would immediately skip the tutorial for any new savegames they start.
  • As an educational game used by some schools for STEM courses, un-narrated tutorials are good for training students in vital reading comprehension skills, particularly important for those pursuing careers in science and engineering.

This is why even major MMOs like Star Trek Online (which actually hired many of the original actors from the Star Trek TV shows) only have narration for short, generic dialogues and soundbites that can be recycled for future content.

How did you put my name in a quote that wasn't mine?

Edited by GoldForest

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

How did you put my name in a quote that wasn't mine?

I was multi-quoting several snippets, and it seems the forum software made a mistake. I've gone ahead and rectified my original most.

Also, when replying to others, don't quote the entire post (especially if it is very long) - instead, just quote the snippet you want to directly address.

Just now, sumghai said:

Also, when replying to others, don't quote the entire post (especially if it is very long) - instead, just quote the snippet you want to directly address.

As someone who does that, I'm going to remark how painful is splitting quotes in this forum. But I won't go further on this, because it's off-topic a bit.

2 minutes ago, sumghai said:

I was multi-quoting several snippets, and it seems the forum software made a mistake. I've gone ahead and rectified my original most.

Sorry. On mobile and editing a quote can be difficult.

59 minutes ago, ModZero said:

Petition to hire actual voice actors to narrate KSP 2 tutorials.

That would be a bad idea for several reasons.

One, it costs time and money. A quite a lot of time and money if you're using professionals and recording them in a professional studio, and if you're not doing that it's not worth doing at all.

Two, it locks down aspects of the game early. You have to get all the lines written months before release, and once voice work has started, you can't change them anymore. This wouldn't be a big deal for situational barks, but if we're talking about tutorials it really is -- because the UI can change, mechanics can change, or someone can just think of a better tutorial. 

Here's a very experienced game developer discussing the problems of VO in the context of a mid-budget game -- certainly a much bigger production than KSP2, which means any of the issues are going to be bigger in a smaller production.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

That would be a bad idea for several reasons.

...how does any of those things get better by hiring a YouTuber instead? My comment is a bit tongue-in-cheek, I'd assume that if the tutorials were to be narrated, the work for it has started a long time ago and we can expect an AMA with Shohreh any moment now. 

Edited by ModZero

4 hours ago, ModZero said:

First, down with parasocial relationships. 2nd, Chrisjen Avasarala does voice work, she's even in Destiny 2, and has objectively (OBJECTIVELY!!!1!1!one) the best voice ever.

Chrisjen Avasarala? While I would love to hear her do the voice-over, I think every other sentence laced with profanity will not jive very well with the family-friendly character the game is promoting.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Chrisjen Avasarala? While I would love to hear her do the voice-over, I think every other sentence laced with profanity will not jive very well with the family-friendly character the game is promoting.

Just have her speak Persian and play every word backwards, it's the Kerbal way and I'm in it for her voice :-)

Edit: this also solves all the concerns about translations and content updates.

Edited by ModZero