My Parachute Can't Open Up

Hey guys. I'm just experimenting with my Soyuz LES System. And everything worked well except for the last part. The Parachute won't open up after the Descent module seperated with the Orbital Module.YncdDiM.jpgiRbNqRm.jpg

https://youtu.be/fLJSeuiBGds

The Descent module has been seperated from the orbital module succesfully, but why did the descent module parachute didn't worked? This isn't normal, when seperating the orbital module and the instrumental module after de-orbiting, it worked. Never been a unsuccesfull parachute deploy after entering the kerbin atmosphere. So please help me with this problem. Thanks :kiss:

Maybe I'm just blind, but I can't see any parachute at all?

Can't watch your video atm as I'm at work.

Also, I remember having read that the way occlusion works is sometimes a bit odd, i.e. parts are seen by the game as occluded when they're not, and vice versa. Pretty sure other fellow Kerbal handlers have more details about this.

Edited by VoidSquid

Ok, so this problem is common in Kerbal Space Program? and how to solve or fix this problem so that my Soyuz Can Do Abort Realistic way? And the chute is inside the upper hatch. Yeah Make sure to watch the video later, it's very important...

Edited by Nendra

game shows the error message that the parachute cannot deploy while stowed. the video is kinda hard to follow but i don't actually see a parachute on the capsule. at least not where the leader line of the chute control panel points.

so it's probably a clipping issue.

VoidSquid Answer:

The chute is located just below the hatch (You know, the little circle above the descent module), it's located below it.

And yeah, i used that kind of LES before using my own custom-built. But i abandoned it because the fuel was just to low and the speed was also to low for safe descent from the jetison of the orbital module...

mk1980 Answer:

It's probably not a clipping issue, because when finished de-orbiting, i jettisoned both the orbital and the service module from the descent module. And everything worked fine after that. Re-entered kerbin atmosphere, and i can deploy the chute normally without problem. Also, so far there hasn't been a single accident where i can't deploy the chute after re-entering the atmosphere. So the problem only occur when trying to seperate the descent module from the orbital module during emergency situation, not a normal situation...

So how do we fix this problem...?

Edited by Nendra

after watching it again, i think it could be related to the fairing. it looks like the escape capsule falls out at the bottom of the upper stage thing and the fairing on the upper part is still intact.

i suppose when you actually launch the rocket to space you deploy the fairing at some point?

so maybe the chute in the escape scenario refuses to open because some glitch in the game logic makes it "think" that it's still inside the fairing.

if that's the case you might be able to fix it if you pop the fairing open before you drop the escape pod out.

KSP has a rule preventing us from deploying parachutes through a closed fairing.   Usually, the hole at the bottom of your fairing after the rest of the rocket has detached would make it no longer 'closed' but a recent bug (https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/21915) makes KSP fail to notice that kind of opening.

If that bug is the cause of your problem, you can try the workarounds:
+ Quicksave / Quickload, then deploy the parachute, or
+ Deploy the fairing explicitly before the parachute, or
+ Choose another part, beneath the decoupler that opens the hole, as the 'root part' of the rocket.
(None of these workarounds looks really convenient for your rocket.)

If you want to change that rule in your game, and generally be able to deploy parachutes through fairings,
you can edit the configuration files, or use a ModuleManager patch, something like
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute]] {
  @MODULE[ModuleParachute] {
  %shieldedCanDeploy = true
}}

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2019 at 12:46 AM, OHara said:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute]] {
  @MODULE[ModuleParachute] {
  %shieldedCanDeploy = true
}}

Sorry to necro this thread, but I wanted to ask about this MM patch. Is it properly written? 

38 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

this MM patch. Is it properly written? 

It has the desired effect in version 1.7.3.  In version 1.11, Squad fixed the bug that is the topic of this thread.  The patch should still let you change the rules and open parachutes inside closed fairings, as the docs  have not changed, but you'll have to test in the version you use.

1 hour ago, OHara said:

It has the desired effect in version 1.7.3.  In version 1.11, Squad fixed the bug that is the topic of this thread.  The patch should still let you change the rules and open parachutes inside closed fairings, as the docs  have not changed, but you'll have to test in the version you use.

Playing on 1.8.1, I assume it works fine?

Ah yes, the good ole 'cannot deploy while stowed'. 10 years of KSP and we're still having to work around that amazing invention. Because we really needed to be prevented from opening things inside an enclosed space.

Meanwhile, we have always -and quite happily- been allowed to 'deploy' anything we want as long as it's clipped inside a fully solid part...

lHPe0F4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.