Stranded on the mun

I was trying to land on the mun for the first time.Lets just say it didn’t end well.I was about to land but i didn’t slow down enough.i heard an explosion but it looked like it was okay,the only part that was missing was a battery.i went eva and planted a flag.when i was about to take off i realized that the engine was missing.Now jeb is stranded with no way of getting home

Welcome to the forums @Dumb kerman.

Rest assured, you are not the first one to suffer that particular mishap. Don't worry, Jeb will wait on the Mun until you manage to arrange for a rescue mission. (Kerbals are remarkable that way, they have no problems staying for years in a tiny capsule.)

During flight you can also press <F3> to view the mission log. In there it will say which parts got destroyed after a mishap.

Welcome to the forum Kerman! I think my first post ever (or at least one of them) was about rescuing the rescue craft for the rescue craft for the tourists I sent with Jeb to the Mun...my advice is bring more fuel than you think you'll need for rescue. A lot more xD Or check out the Victor Terra Phlogistonic Lab over in crafts and grab a Heimdall for the rescue if you've got the 160-point science tier unlocked - the next craft down on my list, the Minty Thrush, doesn't have enough delta-V for it, sadly.

4 hours ago, Dumb kerman said:

I was trying to land on the mun for the first time.Lets just say it didn’t end well.I was about to land but i didn’t slow down enough.i heard an explosion but it looked like it was okay,the only part that was missing was a battery.i went eva and planted a flag.when i was about to take off i realized that the engine was missing.Now jeb is stranded with no way of getting home

Yeah, that's KSP all right.  :)

So, for rescuing, you have a couple of options.

One way is to land another craft reasonably close to where you've landed this one, with a spare crew slot available.  After it's landed, Jeb can just go over to the craft and board it.  Note that when I say "reasonably close", I mean "within a few dozen kilometers"-- kerbal EVA packs are great for flying around on the Mun, so Jeb doesn't have to walk.  So it's not like you have to do a pinpoint precision landing.

The other way is to launch Jeb to (very) low Mun orbit from the surface, using only his EVA thrusters.  Then your rescue craft only has to rendezvous with him in orbit, and doesn't have to come down to the surface to land.

Either way can work:

• The former way needs more dV for the rescue vehicle, plus of course there's the hazard of actually landing (i.e. you don't want the same thing to happen to your rescue ship as happened to Jeb's!)
  • The latter way makes the rescue ship's job easier... but be advised that kerbal EVA packs can just barely get to Mun orbit from the surface.  They can do it... but it's a nailbiter, and you should F5 before you try it so that you can re-try a few times, takes some practice to get it right.  And even when done perfectly, it can only get you into a very low orbit, like under 10 km altitude, so be prepared for some drama.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.