KSP 1 early buyer - will I get Ksp as a free update?

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, KerikBalm said:

Its a new engine, by a new team, for what is explicitely a sequel and not an update.

How can people even ask this?

The only way that I can remotely see it, is because in the blog post about what people get for free, here, the devs explicitly mention:
"So this is what we mean when we say Expansion Packs for KSP. We’re not talking about small content bundles, we’re talking about major game-changing sets of features, like Multiplayer, or Colonization."

In the release notes for KSP2, it specifically says that this version will bring:
Colonies: Brand new to Kerbal Space Program 2 are colonies..

And:

Kerbal Space Program 2 will build on the beloved modding capabilities of the original game, as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer

Only because of these two things, I could see how some could argue, "But these are things the devs mentioned we'd get for free."  I agree that I will purchase KSP2 no matter what, but to ask "How can people even ask this?", I can see both sides.  By the way, I'm not one of the people expecting to get it free (although I wouldn't deny it if they want to give it to me) and am just waiting on the "Add to Cart" button; It's already in my wishlist.

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

'nuff said

Sequel, not an update.

I never disagreed with you, only pointed out how some could argue based on references from previous communications.  I'm of the opinion that if you buy a house, you don't have access to new houses until you buy them also.  I'm pleased early adopters got access to the expansions for free, something I didn't even know about until they showed up in my game without expectation.  People expecting KSP2 for free because of that are dreamers.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:28 AM, Dr. Jet said:

When you have to pay for gameplay essential DLCs in KSP-1, why would you get a NEW GAME from OTHER DEVELOPER for free? 

Which DLCs are gameplay essential and why?

On 9/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, Lu K. said:

Speaking of wild speculation, I think I found the solution to this issue.

Put in loads of cosmetic microtransactions for the console players and give KSP1 early buyers a couple of free ones. Everyone wins

(Yes, I know I'm responding to a 3 month old comment.)

I suddenly had a vision of how KSP would be as a F2P2W...

"Oops, looks like your spaceship has run out of rocket fuel!  Your fuel tank will refill over time, but if you want to get back to launching your Kerbals into the wild yonder, you can redeem Kerbal Koins, available at the Kerbal Space Center Dispensary, for a quick top up!"

"Oof, fine, here you go."

"Oops, looks like your spaceship has run out of electricity!  Your batteries will refill over time, but if you want to get back to launching your Kerbals into the wild yonder, you can redeem Kerbal Power Krystals, available at the Kerbal Space Center Dispensary, for a quick recharge!"

"Damn you!  I'm only going to pay for this because I'm hopelessly addicted!"

"Oops, looks like your spaceship has run out of breathable air!  Your air supply will be scrubbed over time, but if you want to get back to launching your Kerbals into the wild yonder, you can redeem Kerbon Dioxide Kanisters, available at the Kerbal Space Center Dispensary, for fresh O2 tanks!"

*Rage-burns radially inwards towards the sun so fast that he destroys the kraken.*

Edited by Xaios

• 3 weeks later...

Beyond that,  I'm thinking even about buying a new computer for running KSP2 (I'm running KSP on a MacOSX and I'm afraid that is not going to be supported by KSP2). I've spent 300 hours playing ksp in the last two months... this turns KSP in the cheapest game that I ever bought, so I think they deserve my money! 

Edited by amarillo114

12 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

-Free access to expansions (if there would be any)

They've done this before, quickly realized their error, and won't be doing it again.

-Early access to new versions

Most games already do something like this, ie have a beta test and QA group pre-assigned for testing purposes.   Those and some key partners (modders) and media people might get an early look at updates, but it won't be to the general public, especially the subset that has already played KSP1.

-A giveaway

Highly doubt this.   There might be a more expensive collectors edition (no evidence of this, just a guess), but I don't think they'll be doing a give away to KSP 1 players at large. 

1 hour ago, razark said:

Do you like doing your job for no pay?

Neither does anyone else.

KSP appeals to a pretty broad age range. My 8-year-old granddaughter isn't too much into it, but I've seen others not too far from that age who are. And at 68, I'm sure I'm not the oldest here. An awful lot of posts (not just this one) from people hoping that things related to it will be free. I have to wonder whether many of them might be from people who don't have jobs or maybe aren't even of an age to appreciate such economic issues. I'm more on the end of thinking that the $30 or so I paid on sale, or even whatever the full price is these days, seems pretty negligible for hundreds of hours of entertainment. Better deal than the $60 I spent without regret for dinner for my wife and I last night and that was just for a pleasant hour.

Please use common sense - Let me use some real world examples...

When Civilization V came out, Steam offered a discount to anyone who already had Civilization IV.  Just because a new version of Civilization came out didn't mean that we (the players of the game) were entitled to all the expansions, all the newer versions simply because we owned Civ IV. I've been playing Civilization since the very first edition in 1991. It's now 2020 and I've paid for every version (including the most recent release) and every expansion pack for the game (as I have done with the latest version). The ONLY thing I did take advantage of was when Steam offered a 33% discount for those who already owned Civ V when Civ VI came out.

Kerbal Space Program 2 is a completely new game being programmed/made. It is not simply an update to what we already have. It will have new features (according to the promotional materials we've seen) such as the ability to colonize, more planets and more solar systems to investigate, etc.  It is also being done by a completely different gaming studio. Based on simple economics, they cannot give the game away because it won't be the same game! It's not a continuation of the original KSP but something completely new!

There have been major upgrades, new parts, and new goodies added to Kerbal Space program which weren't part of the DLC. Most gaming studios do not do this. The product we have from @SQUAD has far exceeded what I thought it would be when I bought my first copy in 2012.

And to tap into what @rmaine said, I cannot tell you the amount of enjoyment I've received for my initial $12.00 purchase back when Steam had this game on sale in it's "green-light" area for independent game studios. Since that purchase, I have played it to the point where if you do the math, the time I have spent enjoying Kerbal Space Program far exceeds the cost. Yes, I've had to purchase the expansion packs because I purchased the game after the August 2012 cut-off (I purchased mine in October), but I will not complain because my purchase of the DLC allows the development of this game to continue.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, strudo76 said:

I'd say almost certainly not. There would be no point investing a large amount of money developing a new game if all the existing players would get it for free.

But it would be cool if they at least give some limited discount for veteran player, those who invest their mony before original KSP become even a thing, i think 25%-50% would be cool ;-) 

56 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

But it would be cool if they at least give some limited discount for veteran player, those who invest their mony before original KSP become even a thing, i think 25%-50% would be cool ;-) 

Veteran players are already the ones that paid less to have more time with the game.