KSP 1 early buyer - will I get Ksp as a free update?

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Did you envy us? :D 

Don't think so.

You paid less then, some of you didn't have to pay for the dlcs, and now you want to get another discount. I'm trying to find fitting word for that but my thoughts orbit around "greedy". Because that's what it looks like. You got your discount, that's more than enough, especially when you got thousands hours of entertainment more than the others. It's not like it was continuous support, like let's say a monthly fee on patreon or something like that. You got more for less basically three times already.

K, I'm done.

No, I'm not, I'm going even further: YOU, "veteran players" are people who should pay full price for the new game to show that you appreciated the fact that this franchise, from simple space game for few cents in alpha stage, went to the point where it got a sequel.

Ugh.

54 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

YOU, "veteran players" are people who should pay full price for the new game to show that you appreciated the fact that this franchise, from simple space game for few cents in alpha stage, went to the point where it got a sequel.

100% agreed.

--A veteran player

On 9/5/2019 at 1:38 AM, dave1904 said:

No. 

No.

Not at all.

That's saying that a company should do everything for free, not pay its workers, have awful working conditions, no benefits, or anything of the like.

If you mean that early adopters not getting charged, it is a different company with no affiliation to Squad. For no reason should they give away a product that they have been working on for over a year to someone who got the game early.

So there are two question in this thread : the first one being the OP's question "I' m a KSP1 early adopter will I get KSP2 for free?" and the second one being "Should KSP1 early adopter's get KSP2 for free?"
I will attempt to answer each in turn:

So as answer to the first question, I should say no, as no statements have been  issued to this effect and that Star Theory is a different entity to Squad.

As for the second the answer is longer:

Firstly we must define what the transaction in place for KSP1 is, as the OP seems to want to replicate this system for KSP2 : even if at first glance the transaction resembles this : Squad  --->  Early Adopters it cannot be that way however since the labor put into making the product the early adopters received must be payed for, so the transaction should be this : Other Buyers <---> Squad ---> Early Adopters, or : Squad Employees <----> Squad ----> Early Adopters, (obviously these examples are simplified and treat  Squad as an isolated entity, which it is not but the principles are there) so when an early adopter gets a DLC for free they are either making the price of the DLC increase or making the salary of Squad employees decrease or else making Squads profits decrease, which results in less work being able to be payed for, so less growth and new content for every one.

So then we must answer two more questions: 1.Why should the Early Adopters receive a product for free? and 2.Why should they not?

1. In general, one receives monetary/material compensation when one either works or buys, with this model the Early Adopters act like share-holders in a public company, they receive money/products because they invested/brought shares/the game. One could say they receive material compensation because their early investment allowed us all to have fun with this game and that if they had not bought the game it wouldn't have existed, however in this sense the game we play would be radically different without modders, but should we give them DLC's for free ?

2.Even if the arguments above are completely valid we have shown that the "Early Adopter Policy" adopted by Squad  acts as a weight which results in lower salaries for employees and less content at a higher price for the other users, and such an decrease of happiness for every one, despite what Bertrand Russel says, I should not and am not happy to throw my money away...

So we can at last answer the question we asked ourselves in the first place:   "Should KSP1 early adopter's get KSP2 for free?" to which I answer :

No, they should not, for the reasons that I have said above as well as reasons cited by @The Aziz , Star  Theory should not make the same errors as Squad and will, I hope , not make them for the wellfare of all : from the community, to their employees... Plus the fact that there was no mention of a sequel in Squads promise which is the base of the "Early Adopter Policy".

1 hour ago, MiscelanousItem said:

So there are two question in this thread : the first one being the OP's question "I' m a KSP1 early adopter will I get KSP2 for free?" and the second one being "Should KSP1 early adopter's get KSP2 for free?"
I will attempt to answer each in turn:

So as answer to the first question, I should say no, as no statements have been  issued to this effect and that Star Theory is a different entity to Squad.

As for the second the answer is longer:

Firstly we must define what the transaction in place for KSP1 is, as the OP seems to want to replicate this system for KSP2 : even if at first glance the transaction resembles this : Squad  --->  Early Adopters it cannot be that way however since the labor put into making the product the early adopters received must be payed for, so the transaction should be this : Other Buyers <---> Squad ---> Early Adopters, or : Squad Employees <----> Squad ----> Early Adopters, (obviously these examples are simplified and treat  Squad as an isolated entity, which it is not but the principles are there) so when an early adopter gets a DLC for free they are either making the price of the DLC increase or making the salary of Squad employees decrease or else making Squads profits decrease, which results in less work being able to be payed for, so less growth and new content for every one.

So then we must answer two more questions: 1.Why should the Early Adopters receive a product for free? and 2.Why should they not?

1. In general, one receives monetary/material compensation when one either works or buys, with this model the Early Adopters act like share-holders in a public company, they receive money/products because they invested/brought shares/the game. One could say they receive material compensation because their early investment allowed us all to have fun with this game and that if they had not bought the game it wouldn't have existed, however in this sense the game we play would be radically different without modders, but should we give them DLC's for free ?

2.Even if the arguments above are completely valid we have shown that the "Early Adopter Policy" adopted by Squad  acts as a weight which results in lower salaries for employees and less content at a higher price for the other users, and such an decrease of happiness for every one, despite what Bertrand Russel says, I should not and am not happy to throw my money away...

So we can at last answer the question we asked ourselves in the first place:   "Should KSP1 early adopter's get KSP2 for free?" to which I answer :

No, they should not, for the reasons that I have said above as well as reasons cited by @The Aziz , Star  Theory should not make the same errors as Squad and will, I hope , not make them for the wellfare of all : from the community, to their employees... Plus the fact that there was no mention of a sequel in Squads promise which is the base of the "Early Adopter Policy".

Very well put.

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

100% agreed.

--A veteran player

Likewise.

- Another veteran player.

In the extremely unlikely event they do decide to give it to me free, or at a discount, then that's great, but In NO WAY am I, or do I feel, 'entitled' to it.

We, the early adopters of the game, got the game at a really good price compared to it's MSRP today, although you can quite often find it for far less than I paid for it back in the day. 
At the time, the low price and the "free expansions" clause was something they were offering to attract customers (ie funding for development).   Eventually, I'm guessing somebody in legal or bookkeeping went "Hey, guys....ummmm"  and the free expansion clause was dropped.  

Now, fast forward a few years, and the first DLC dropped.  Us who were promised at the time that future expansions would be free were really curious if Squad would honor their promise.    For the vast majority of us that were eligible, it wasn't about the money, it was about a company that we supported early on when the game was in it's infancy, and we were seeing if they would return that support.   And they did.    And we loved them for that.

Now, ~7 years later, and a new game is coming out.   Made by a different company.    The fan base is there, so they have no need to offer such discounts.     Us who showed our support early on aren't needed again.   The sales will be there, they don't need gimmicks to generate revenue.   It's a different game, the previous clauses don't copy here.  

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Don't think so.

You paid less then, some of you didn't have to pay for the dlcs, and now you want to get another discount. I'm trying to find fitting word for that but my thoughts orbit around "greedy". Because that's what it looks like. You got your discount, that's more than enough, especially when you got thousands hours of entertainment more than the others. It's not like it was continuous support, like let's say a monthly fee on patreon or something like that. You got more for less basically three times already.

K, I'm done.

No, I'm not, I'm going even further: YOU, "veteran players" are people who should pay full price for the new game to show that you appreciated the fact that this franchise, from simple space game for few cents in alpha stage, went to the point where it got a sequel.

Ugh.

Maybe it sounds a bit like "greed", but does the player who supported the series at the very beginning deserve a little bit more, if not a few percent discount, though some elite dlc, available only to us, even if it would not contribute anything to the game, or some virtual astronaut badge styled to be the badge of the first Soviet codmonauts or Mercury 7 astronauts ;) 

19 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

though some elite dlc, available only to us

The definition of wasted development time...

19 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

even if it would not contribute anything to the game

Exactly, so why did you propose this idea in the first place?

Also, that "only to us" thingy assumes you guys have some sort of merit coming from the fact you brought the game.

Edited by MiscelanousItem

4 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

does the player who supported the series at the very beginning deserve a little bit more, if not a few percent discount

Veteran player here, I don't think we should get the game for free. More money to the devs to improve the game, no?

Discounts are interesting though. My brother bought Spintires, and when the next game in that series came out the new devs gave all the old Spintires players a permanent 50% discount on Mudrunner. Not that I'm saying that that should apply to KSP but it is an interesting thing to think about.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

If it was me, I'd probably have some special edition KSP2 - wallpapers, maps, special box, maybe a toy - and give veteran players a discount on that, if they wanted it.  Make it just marginally more expensive than the 'base' KSP2 when the discount is applied.

11 hours ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

HOW DO U KNO??!! RU STAR THEORY?!!

Hide contents

Seriously though, did you forget testing? :P

They said so. And I was not in any of the meetings so can't say if they were telling the truth or not, because I don't work there.

And I spoke a bit tersely. I meant they can't optimize KSP's code for KSP2. Not that they can't optimize their own code. Of course they can do that.

Not that I know that first hand or anything....

7 hours ago, MiscelanousItem said:

The definition of wasted development time...

Exactly, so why did you propose this idea in the first place?

Also, that "only to us" thingy assumes you guys have some sort of merit coming from the fact you brought the game.

I mean something like merit badges in Life is Strange 2 for player who played in original  Life is Strange. 

Cosmetic stuff, that I could actually support

There's one problem though I don't thank anybody mentioned.

It's different studio. They owe you nothing.

"here's a bonus thing for you, thanks for playing the game not made by us"