MechJeb or kOS query.

8 hours ago, AdmFranzvonHippie said:

I'm curious to know what the opinions are between the two mods?  Which one is better in your opinion, and why do you feel it's a better mod?

(Disclosure - kOS dev here so I can't be unbiased)

Mechjeb IS an autopilot.  kOS is a toolkit for MAKING an autopilot.

It's like asking "is this kitchen table better than this carpentry workshop?"  Depends on whether you want customization and enjoy the D.I.Y. process, versus if you'd rather skip all that and just have the finished product.

And you can't really even ask the question "well which is better at making orbit" or "which is better at docking", etc - because there's no such thing as "the" kOS program that launches to orbit, or "the" kOS program that docks, etc.  Instead its more like "is Steve's kOS launching program better than Mechjeb's?  Okay but what about Bob's kOS launching program?

With kOS, there's going to be waay to much variation between one user's script and another user's script to make any sort of blanket statements about whether it does the job better or worse than Mechjeb.

A more apt comparison might be to compare kOS to kRPC.  They have more similar goals, but use very different approaches.

Edited by Steven Mading
spelling and grammar

Better for what?

MechJeb because it's an easy, customisable instrument panel.
Oh, and apparently it can do some autopilot stuff as well, if you tell it to.

My launch vehicles typically get around 40 trials tweaks before I consider them 'right'.  If I can reliably fly it to orbit then it's good enough for me to use.  If MJ can reliably fly it to orbit then it's good enough to make public.

Edited by Pecan

Personally, KOS, but as above it depends what you want. 

If you just want to design and build rockets, but find flying them a bit tedious then Mechjeb can do a lot of the drudgery for you.

If you have an interest in how orbital mechanics work and a rudimentary understanding of programming then KOS is fantastically rewarding.  Over the course of a few games I've built up a library of scripts that allow my ships to launch, fly to the Mun or Minmus, land at specified co-ordinates, rendezvous and dock in orbit, return to kerbin, and even do precision powered landings in atmosphere.  Great fun.  KOS to Duna is my next challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.