Managing Expectations

Klapaucius

Scott Manley in his interview with Nate Simpson (see video below) commented that his biggest hope was to get the base architecture in the game right.

Spoiler

So that got me to thinking.  There is a lot of speculation and fun talk around the forum about "what will the game contain?"  "Will it have submarines?"  "Will it have X or Y or Z?" 

While KSP2 will come out of the box a far more polished game than KSP1 did (for obvious reasons--they have a whole base of experience to build on) it will still be a game in development.  I think many of us are (perhaps unconsciously and against our better judgement) expecting the second coming (or for some of the more cynical types--confirmation of all their pessimism). 

I think a healthier way to look at it is to realize that the game will be released as a work-in-progress.  I hesitate to use the terms alpha or beta, but what we will see in 2020 is the foundation upon which the innovations and additions of the game will be built over the next decade.   I, for one, would love a lot more focus on water, but that could come 3-4 years from now. And that is okay.

In short: don't expect perfection. Do expect that Star Theory remains committed to the game for the long-term and keeps it fresh.  I am very confident the right people are involved in this, and I worry about impossible expectations and, frankly, some of the less-than-helpful grousing that seems to be some players modus operendi and which is quite different from constructive feedback.

Edited by Klapaucius

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't even have that expectation.

Have they actually said that once released, KSP2 will be followed by indefinite updates a la KSP1 and Minecraft? We tend to forget about this on this forum, but that is not the norm at all for most games.

Nate did mention he wants the game to have updates down the line, hopefully in the next ten years he'll still be working on it. I think it was in DasValdez's interview he said it, don't recall. 

44 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't even have that expectation.

Have they actually said that once released, KSP2 will be followed by indefinite updates a la KSP1 and Minecraft? We tend to forget about this on this forum, but that is not the norm at all for most games.

They have said several times that they plan/hope to continue support and development for KSP 2 much the same as what KSP 1 received.

And that is really starting to become the norm. "Games as a service" (providing regular updates either as purchasable DLC, or freely in the hopes of driving other micro transactions) is becoming the thing to do these days. I'm hoping that KSP 2 isn't monetized as heavily as some of these other games (reasonably priced expansions with adequate content is perfectly fine). But unless something bad happens and it just tanks at or shortly after launch, I think it's safe to assume that KSP 2 will receive regular free updates and paid expansions.

26 minutes ago, TBenz said:

I'm hoping that KSP 2 isn't monetized as heavily as some of these other games (reasonably priced expansions with adequate content is perfectly fine). But unless something bad happens and it just tanks at or shortly after launch, I think it's safe to assume that KSP 2 will receive regular free updates and paid expansions.

Agree. I'm happy with good DLCs and in fact, they could actually  be a way to fund cool functions that have a limited but passionate userbase. For example, I would happily pony up for a DLC that added lots of sub parts and content, and that could be easily ignored by those who have no interest.  Unlike a mod, it would remain supported for the life of the game.

But, and from my understanding, there are no plans to go this route, if they go subscription or something like that, that will be the end for me. I don't at all see Star Theory doing that, but of course they are subordinate to Take Two, so what Nate hopes and what may happen down the line may be quite different.

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Agree. I'm happy with good DLCs and in fact, they could actually  be a way to fund cool functions that have a limited but passionate userbase. For example, I would happily pony up for a DLC that added lots of sub parts and content, and that could be easily ignored by those who have no interest.  Unlike a mod, it would remain supported for the life of the game.

But, and from my understanding, there are no plans to go this route, if they go subscription or something like that, that will be the end for me. I don't at all see Star Theory doing that, but of course they are subordinate to Take Two, so what Nate hopes and what may happen down the line may be quite different.

Remember that single player is going to be DRM free, I don't think Take Two can enforce a subscription once you get a copy. Worst would happen is the community can "fork" and "update" the game with mods.