Is there any way to modify rescue contracts to omit the return to Kerbin?

fulgur

I am currently designing a self-sufficient Munbase and Munstation in my career save (link in my signature). So I was wondering whether there was any way to remove the 'return to Kerbin' clause from rescue contracts. (I am also anticipating similar bases around other planets). If you know of a mod to do this, that would be even better! Thanks in advance.

Don't you think that the agency that sent the poor Kerbal into their predicament will want to debrief them before they officially join your crew? I bet there is a lot of paperwork to be done. ;)

(Anyway, I don't have a better solution than @Aegolius13: use the cheat menu.)

Edited by AHHans
fixed typo

Since the Kerbal joins your team before the contract is complete, you can just nab him and let the contract lapse. It is very cheap to return from Munar orbit, though, and I would bet your kolonists would appreciate a way to get home in case of emergency.

Technically you could go into the save file and edit the contract there, I guess, but unless you're building a mod that has missions to visit and conquer random colonies it's easier just to use the cheat menu.

Edited by dire

I looked into adding a Contract Configurator contract that allowed you to "rescue" them to a ship with a science lab in it to succeed at the contract for maybe half the price, or no reward but no failure. I also wanted to add their profession to the contract text, and maybe experience so you can coldly calculate if they were worth rescuing.

The big stumbling block is that you can't (from what I see) disable just the rescue contracts, you have to disable all recovery contracts so then I'd feel the need to add them all back :)

The reason I wanted this is that I play with USI-LS and so there is no way for me to return kerbals from, say, Jool or Eeloo if I get an extra one. Because they'd all starve to death. Whereas if I left them at one of my self sufficient, greenhouse- and ISRU-equipped bases, they could stay there.

5 hours ago, fulgur said:

The reason I wanted this is that I play with USI-LS and so there is no way for me to return kerbals from, say, Jool or Eeloo if I get an extra one. Because they'd all starve to death. Whereas if I left them at one of my self sufficient, greenhouse- and ISRU-equipped bases, they could stay there.

A different alternative would be to use the mod DeepFreeze Continued and take a cryopod with you.  That would alleviate the need to carry years' worth of supplies on a deep-space mothership all for the sake of one Kerbal's health and sanity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.