kerbiloid

Starlink (updates and concerns)

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

How should the people now distinguish it from UFO?

Hide contents

Wait...
That's their real purpose. A worldwide UFO tracking network,

Well if they follow the starlink deployment trajectory they are starlink satellites making them both identified and not flying as they are in orbit. 
There I lived before I saw far more than 12 moving lights in the sky each night. Yes it was close to an airport :) 
However they was flying and I could not identify them just by the lights making them unidentified flying objects. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, sevenperforce said:

Funny exchange on my Medium blog:

A bit off-topic, but I cannot resist sharing this gem

Spoiler

Feynman is always on topic, IMO.

Remember how flight MH 370 disappeared after losing contact with land stations?

Connecting airliners to Starlink means that need never happen again.

Edited by RCgothic

19 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Remember how flight MH 370 disappeared after losing contact with land stations?

Connecting airliners to Starlink means that need never happen again.

Well, the pilot deciding to murder everyone (MH370) means he doesn't bother trying to communicate, or turns it off.

Well, they'd at least know more or less exactly where the plane crashed. Starlink connection would mean the GPS coordinates could be transfered as long as the transmitted is intact (there's no real need to give the pilot control over that). Indeed, if a minimal Starlink transmitter could be crammed into a black box, that would, in some cases, aid in recovering it quickly. It wouldn't need to receive data, just transmit it. Also, CVR and FDR could potentially upload the things they record in real time (though it would have to be automatically deleted after a while for both privacy and storage space reasons, especially the former), meaning any damage to black boxes would sustain in the crash wouldn't affect the data that already got uploaded. I'd caution against relying entirely on this, but this would be a great improvement over the current situation, where this data is often partially lost after a crash.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:11 PM, Silavite said:

A bit off-topic, but I cannot resist sharing this gem

Hide contents

LOL, 
On the other hand its an definition question. 
1461871983544.jpg

The targets in sheet shooting is in practice saucers and they are flying. 
However if you are into sheet shooting you can say how many flying saucers you shot down with an shotgun today :)

skeet

21 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

(there's no real need to give the pilot control over that)

No, this is not correct. There is need to give the pilots control over every electrical system on the airplane, because just possibly they may need to turn them off in order to prevent electrical hazard. The only ones they can't turn off are those that are entirely self-contained, like the emergency locator beacons which are supposed to start transmitting in the case of a crash (but don't always, because the assumption is that the crash is benign enough that maybe somebody survived it).

It would be a complete shift in the pilot/airplane paradigm to have systems on board that the pilot actually can't turn off. This may be the future. Indeed, pilotless airplanes may be the future. But for now, ultimately, usually for better but sometimes for worse, the pilot can shut off anything.

In the case of MH370 it appears the pilot shut off everything he knew about, but it seems he didn't know that there was a routine ping/handshake from ACARS every hour.

36 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

By the way:

Let's hope this doesn't give Elon ideas for the next "not a flamethrower" gun-like device...

(anyone who has seen the movie will know what I'm talking about)

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Let's hope this doesn't give Elon ideas for the next "not a flamethrower" gun-like device...

(anyone who has seen the movie will know what I'm talking about)

I saw that movie in the theater when it first came out, not knowing a thing about it. It was amazing.

44 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

There is need to give the pilots control over every electrical system on the airplane, because just possibly they may need to turn them off in order to prevent electrical hazard. 

You're under impression a one-way Starlink transmitter would be a major system. It wouldn't. It would be perfectly sufficient to have it integrated into the same circuit board that runs the IMU. Such an antenna probably wouldn't be big enough to rate a separate circuit board, nevermind a breaker. Yes, the pilot will theoretically have control, but only by pulling the IMU breaker, just like with the GPS. There's no need to place for any dedicated controls outside those for maintenance.

Edited by Dragon01

4 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

You're under impression a one-way Starlink transmitter would be a major system. It wouldn't. It would be perfectly sufficient to have it integrated into the same circuit board that runs the IMU. Such an antenna probably wouldn't be big enough to rate a separate circuit board, nevermind a breaker. Yes, the pilot will theoretically have control, but only by pulling the IMU breaker, just like with the GPS. There's no need to place for any dedicated controls outside those for maintenance.

For the record, I was not under the impression that Starlink would be a major system with its own breaker. But it would be on one of the breakers, and thus could be shut off.

Edited by mikegarrison

On 1/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, tater said:

Well, the pilot deciding to murder everyone (MH370)

Wait, what??

38 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Wait, what??

I didn't think anyone still considered any possibility that wasn't nefarious, to be honest. The changes in direction were without question controlled flight, and this has been know since very soon after the crash.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

37 minutes ago, tater said:

I didn't think anyone still considered any possibility that wasn't nefarious, to be honest. The changes in direction were without question controlled flight, and this has been know since very soon after the crash.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

To me the most important evidence is that if you wanted to make an international flight disappear, you would get a handoff from one country's ATC and not pick up the other country's ATC -- which is *exactly* when MH370 went dark.

11 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

To me the most important evidence is that if you wanted to make an international flight disappear, you would get a handoff from one country's ATC and not pick up the other country's ATC -- which is *exactly* when MH370 went dark.

Yeah. That article I linked is a pretty good summary. Also, the pilot had flown a similar path on his home flight sim.

According to Shotwell SpaceX is likely to spin-off Starlink. (In a similar manner to how they spin-off Starlink satellites from the F9's upper stage :wink:)

"Right now, we are a private company, but Starlink is the right kind of business that we can go ahead and take public," Shotwell said at the [investor] event, according to a Bloomberg article. "That particular piece is an element of the business that we are likely to spin out and go public."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/02/spacex-plans-likely-spinoff-and-ipo-for-starlink-broadband-division/

5 hours ago, Silavite said:

According to Shotwell SpaceX is likely to spin-off Starlink. (In a similar manner to how they spin-off Starlink satellites from the F9's upper stage :wink:)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/02/spacex-plans-likely-spinoff-and-ipo-for-starlink-broadband-division/

LOL, however it makes sense to make it an separate company as its an very different from SpaceX normal business. 
You need to be able to handle lots of customers for one and has customer support for them. 

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

And the check is in the mail?

The guys I talked to at NRAO a few months said that they were meeting with some Starlink people regarding radio astronomy implications. They seem serious.

At last there will be no difference between the real sky and the virtual one, so the couples can watch the stars sitting in a  warm and comfortable room, rather than getting cold outdoors, while astronomers can use freeware Celestia instead of expensive optics.

Spoiler

4f475944b0211d9bc7d44f11125cc602.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid