Trouble navigating to survey site for contract completion

is there a specific tutorial somewhere for completing a contracted survey mission.  I'm trying to meet conditions for surveying a zone above 17,000 m.  The way I do it is to go all the way to orbit and fly over the site from there.  I keep the contract window open, fly over the site and wait for the condition to be met but the box never get's checked.  Is it possible I am TOO high at 580 Km?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, GungaDin said:

is there a specific tutorial somewhere for completing a contracted survey mission.  I'm trying to meet conditions for surveying a zone above 17,000 m.  The way I do it is to go all the way to orbit and fly over the site from there.  I keep the contract window open, fly over the site and wait for the condition to be met but the box never get's checked.  Is it possible I am TOO high at 580 Km?  Thanks.

Depending on how it's worded, you may need to still be in the atmosphere.  Can you post a screenshot of the actual contract?

1 hour ago, GungaDin said:

I'm at work now but it specified 'above 17,000 m'. 

Yes, but, e.g., "in flight above 17,000 m" means inside the atmosphere, while "in space above 17,000 m" means outside the atmosphere.

Are you familiar with how to navigate to contract sites otherwise? (I mean the "select marker in map view, activate navigation, get there via the navball" part.)

Edited by AHHans
fixed typo

16 minutes ago, AHHans said:

Yes, but, e.g., "in flight above 17,000 m" means inside the atmosphere, while "in space above 17,000 m" means outside the atmosphere.

Are you familiar with how to navigate to contract sites otherwise? (I mean the "select marker in map view, activate navigation, get there via the navball" part.)

I see.  I'll check that before I try again.  I'll also have to study up on how to use the Navball for navigation.  Thanks.

In general, on Kerbin, those contracts are intended to be completed with airplanes. It's a way for the game to encourage you to build airplanes. The "in flight below" contracts with nearby waypoints can be completed easily with basic airplanes. "Below" with distant waypoints encourages you to build fast airplanes. "In flight above" contracts encourage you to build high-altitude airplanes -- generally using panther (or better) engines. However, if you are clever with your engineering then you can easily complete high-altitude contracts within a few hundred km of KSC with basic tech.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.