KSP Loading... Preview: New SRBs

St4rdust

29 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

BOAR liquid fuel booster Sobbing in the distance

Does the Twin Boar give you 6.3 times the dV that a Kickback does, on the kind of launch stage that needs one? Because if you put it in place of 6.3 Kickbacks your rocket will cost the same.

Note: This is an actual question. I don't know and can't test right now. But I assume it does.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Does the Twin Boar give you 6.3 times the dV that a Kickback does, on the kind of launch stage that needs one? Because if you put it in place of 6.3 Kickbacks your rocket will cost the same.

Note: This is an actual question. I don't know and can't test right now. But I assume it does.

I honestly dunno. 

But for a fair comparison, you'd have to attach an additional orange tank (whatever the largesr 2.5m tanks is called) and a 2.5m nosecone to it to make it a good equivalent to the SLS LFB booster proposal.

Spoiler

pyrios_klein.jpg

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

So I actually did look at the numbers.
I made a rough SLS 1b replic and comparing 6 kickbacks to 2 Twinboars with an additional orange tank, I got around 200 m/s more (on around 105ish tons of payload(if you include Ore + oretank weight)).
However, the LFB SLS is 30k funds more expensive

Spoiler

unknown.png

(all stock parts, but with restock (no restock+ used))

Now I really wanna see what that number would look like with a proper 2.5m diameter SRB, such as the one released in the next update.

32 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I made a rough SLS 1b replic and comparing 6 kickbacks to 2 Twinboars with an additional orange tank, I got around 200 m/s more (on around 105ish tons of payload(if you include Ore + oretank weight)).

Actually it's 12 kickbacks to 2 Twin Boars.

With the orange tanks, it's 17 kickbacks for the pair, or say 16 on a side.

Nice to see these.

However, I'm not a big fan of the "horse" related naming convention. But then I guess they've already used up the dog names.  Looking forward to further crustaceans...

And for those of us wondering whether there is other life on Kerbin, well just look at the way the Kerbals name their stuff.

Yay! This is an old request - I participated in this @Bill Phil  2015 thread, but I'm sure older can be found!

The "Kickback" from the NASA pack, was styled / scaled for a older and smaller interpretation of the Space Shuttle - it fits perfect next to the 2.5m orange tank (and with this picture, I asked for a more pointed matching nose cone when they were overhauled in a previous update.)

ace1RN3.jpg

I think the "Kickback" needs to be restyled / reinvented, it's now in a supporting role, given the larger direction the 3.75m Space Shuttle parts took. The new 2.5m "Clydesdale" seems to be taking its place, visually. 

Edited by basic.syntax

1 hour ago, basic.syntax said:

I think the "Kickback" needs to be restyled / reinvented, it's now in a supporting role, given the larger direction the 3.75m Space Shuttle parts took. The new 2.5m "Clydesdale" seems to be taking its place, visually. 

I’m not sure if SQUAD are still revamping parts, but if/when they get to the larger SRBs I’d like to see the Kickback and Thumper restyled so that the Kickback sort of looks like a larger variant of the Thumper. Since, as you said, the Kickback no longer fills the role of shuttle SRB analogue, I think that would be the best way to reimagine the Kickback.

9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I’m not sure if SQUAD are still revamping parts, but if/when they get to the larger SRBs I’d like to see the Kickback and Thumper restyled so that the Kickback sort of looks like a larger variant of the Thumper. Since, as you said, the Kickback no longer fills the role of shuttle SRB analogue, I think that would be the best way to reimagine the Kickback.

If Squad were to revamp more parts, I'd rather they revamp the 3.75m parts and 2.5m and 1.25m engines first.
In regards to the 3.75m parts, more detailed textures and an orange foam variant. Actually, I wouldn't mind the 5m parts to also get orange foam variants.

12 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Actually, I wouldn't mind the 5m parts to also get orange foam variants.

13 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

more pointed matching nose cone

Maybe we could add a 5m rounded nose cone? That would go along with these rescaled 5m fuel tank / 2.5m SRBs and 3.75m Space Shuttle parts.

But first we need 1.875 nosecones for the Titan 3 and 4 replicas. I don't know why that hasn't been mentioned.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, coyotesfrontier said:

Nice! Any chance of a shorter 1.875 SRB, to fit the other size classes, and for Titan III replicas?

Edited by RocketSimplicity
Sorry! Made a mistake regarding Titan 3/4 SRB Height

On 9/4/2019 at 4:06 PM, Jestersage said:

Side question: Any plan for a 1.8m port?

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that's not actually technically possible.  The game's internal code for dealing with docking port sizes (i.e. "is this one a compatible size with that one?") is, alas, based on integers.  1.25m is "size 1", and 2.5m is "size 2".  Since the size is an integer, there's no way to have a size "1.5" (which is what 1.875m would be).

(This is also why the connector nodes for the 1.875m parts are the same size as 2.5m.  They couldn't make them smaller without going all the way down to 1.25m.)

So without completely rewriting major sections of the game (which I expect is a non-starter, at this point), I don't think that can happen.

(Note to KSP2 devs:  Don't make part diameters an integer!)  ;)

A 3.75m docking port, on the other hand, would absolutely be possible-- mods have done it (SpaceY, for example).

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

Since the size is an integer,

For nodes the size is an integer but, oddly enough, if you look at the documentation page for ModuleDockingNode you'll see docking node size is a string. You could call the docking port size "Bob" and it would only dock to other Bob ports. @schwank way back 1.3.1? or maybe even earlier they added the ability to list multiple sizes with (I think) a comma separated list - so you could make yourself a MM patch to change the nodeType to "nodeType = size0,size1,size2" and this would be able to dock to all Squad ports.

Edited by wasml

2 minutes ago, wasml said:

For nodes the size is an integer but, oddly enough, if you look at the documentation page for ModuleDockingNode you'll see it's a string. You could call the docking port size "Bob" and it would only dock to other Bob ports.

Ah, interesting, hadn't realized that they'd done that.  Good to know!

Interesting! I would definitely like an expansion in 1.875m parts. At the moment I use them for boosters on my 2.5m light rockets, and occasionally for achieving my first few Munar/Minmus missions, but as there are not even batteries or service bays, they are much less useful than 2.5m rockets. I would like to use them in the same way as I use 1.25m parts now - as tugs and light crew carriers, for use in far-off systems where launching 2.5m rockets is expensive, IE Jool. Also they fit in Mk3 bays much better than the 2.5m parts, so you can let ports and such stick out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.