[1.12.x] Planetary Diversity

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @Thomas P., adopted by myself

What is this?
This is a mod that adds some diversity to the (otherwise static) KSP solar system. It achieves that by changing various parameters of the CelestialBody and PQSMod components, but it has the potential for expanding it further, either through "official" tweaks, or tweaks made by other modders.

How does it work?
Every savegame you create in KSP gets a random number assigned, a seed. This seed is different for every savegame you create. Planetary Diversity modifies the solar system between the MainMenu and the SpaceCenter scene. It uses the seed from the savegame that was loaded to generate random numbers, for example to replace the static seeds in the terrain system. Since most of the planets in KSP are procedural, this changes how the KSP planets are formed. They are a bit different, but the overall look doesn't change, i.e. Kerbin will still be blue-ish, and Eve stays purple. It supports planets made with Kopernicus, however, if they don't have procedural components (i.e. they only have a height and a color map), it won't be able to change them.

At the moment it changes the seeds, orbits, color of gas planets, atmospheric pressure, names (hi Sigma!) and it can add / remove atmospheres. Also, it is modular, with an API, so users can implement their own tweaks if they want.

However, there is one caveat: When you load a savegame for the first time, with Planetary Diversity installed, it will lock down for a while. The reason is that in KSP, every planet has a low-res representation for larger distances - called "Scaled Space". This scaled space representation needs to be computed, but the computation is rather expensive. Thats why Planetary Diversity will generate the representations of all bodies in the solar system that were changed, and save it into your savegame folder. When you load the same save in the future, the mod will simply load the files from your disk instead of re-creating them every time.

Reviewed by Kottabos

What if I want to use a specific seed for my savegame?
While this is not possible in Stock KSP, Planetary Diversity adds an UI for this, in the Game Creation dialog.

The dialog has been enhanced a bit from the original implementation (see below):  There is now a toggle to the left of the Game Seed, which, if unset, will disable the mod from running on a game.  Additionally, there are toggles for the six main items which get changed, unsetting them will simply not implement those changes/

Jkdu3uM.png

The UI should be pretty much self-explanatory. It is also localizable.

Does this depend on Kopernicus?
No. It is completely standalone. However, if you have Kopernicus installed and the OnDemand texture loading feature is enabled, Planetary Diversity will integrate with it and load the planet textures only when they are needed.

But I don't want to have <insert Feature here> changed!
Don't worry, all tweaks can be disabled separately. Just open GameData/PlanetaryDiversity/Config/{config name}.cfg (for custom tweaks please ask the respective modder) and set everything you don't want to false. However, you can only disable it for your whole installation. Per-savegame configuration is neither planned nor easily realizable.

Availability

It is available in CKAN

Note:  This version has been compiled specifically against the 1.7 version of KSP.  While it will probably work for 1.5 & 1.6, those are unsupported

Edited by linuxgurugamer

How long should it take to generate the ScaledSpace? I started a new game, left for a while, and it was still at 1/15 at 0%.

I'll try it again and see if it repeats itself.

edit: It is Kopernicus that is preventing the generation of the planets. It may work to install Kopernicus afterwards.

edit: also, your links for the source and download currently link to the wrong repositories.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer: After many trials and tribulations, I've invited you on github to take a look at the two logs; one with Kopernicus and one without. Man, I don't post any files for a few months and everything just blows up when I try to use it. :(

I still see the same situation - a clean install of KSP with Planetary Diversity and Kopernicus never proceeds past 0% when generating scaled space, whereas it works correctly without Kopernicus.

Thanks for fixing the links!

1 hour ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

@linuxgurugamer: After many trials and tribulations, I've invited you on github to take a look at the two logs; one with Kopernicus and one without. Man, I don't post any files for a few months and everything just blows up when I try to use it. :(

I still see the same situation - a clean install of KSP with Planetary Diversity and Kopernicus never proceeds past 0% when generating scaled space, whereas it works correctly without Kopernicus.

Thanks for fixing the links!

Ummm, I don't see anything on Github, either in my repo or the original repo.

There is no need to go to Github, just post the links here to the files.

Also, which version of KSP and Kopernicus are you running?

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, I don't see anything on Github, either in my repo or the original repo.

There is no need to go to Github, just post the links here to the files.

Also, which version of KSP and Kopernicus are you running?

I probably messed up somewhere. Here's the logs. The test was done with Kopernicus 1.7.3-2 and KSP 1.7.3

On 9/29/2019 at 11:34 PM, 5thHorseman said:

@linuxgurugamer

Amusing warning:

I assume you installed via CKAN, please remove it, tell CKAN to update and then install again.  This warning is not in my version at all.

Your log file was not available

On 9/30/2019 at 2:58 AM, BigFatStupidHead said:

I probably messed up somewhere. Here's the logs. The test was done with Kopernicus 1.7.3-2 and KSP 1.7.3

I've been able to replicate your issue.  Did you have a planet pack installed, or just Kopernicus?

New release, 1.7.3.3

• Fixed nullref when Kopernicus was installed, was causing generation to hang

I also updated the netkan info, it wasn't updating due to the old version number.

Please note that CKAN currently shoes 1.7.3.2.  It can take 3-5 hours for CKAN to see the new version

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 9/30/2019 at 8:48 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume you installed via CKAN, please remove it, tell CKAN to update and then install again.  This warning is not in my version at all.

Your log file was not available

I downloaded it from github (never been a ckan fan). PlanetaryDiversity-1.7.3.2.zip and put the PlanetaryDiversity folder in my Gamedata folder directly.

The log is not available for a very good reason: I zipped it but then typed "log" in the link instead of "zip" :o

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

Looks like it's MiniAVC, which you didn't write (as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised actually :) )

I WAS using 1.7.2, and your version file says it's for 1.7.3. So the warning is correct to come up, but has incorrect wording.

Looking at your version file I don't see anything odd. I'll report this on their thread.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I downloaded it from github (never been a ckan fan). PlanetaryDiversity-1.7.3.2.zip and put the PlanetaryDiversity folder in my Gamedata folder directly.

The log is not available for a very good reason: I zipped it but then typed "log" in the link instead of "zip" :o

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

Looks like it's MiniAVC, which you didn't write (as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised actually :) )

I WAS using 1.7.2, and your version file says it's for 1.7.3. So the warning is correct to come up, but has incorrect wording.

Looking at your version file I don't see anything odd. I'll report this on their thread.

Actually, I do AVC as well :-)

Anyway, 1.7.3.3 was a bad release, I just pushed out 1.7.3.4

• 4 months later...

Do you think it could work for 1.9?

Edit: It seems to work alright.

Edit 2.  I tried to continue the game I starded with PD, but it loaded the stock system instead. So it doesn't seem to remember the diversified system when I quit game.

The only thing that I changed between the two times I loaded the game is that I added the newest version of Earn Your Stripes and FlightTracker, that might explain everything.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315145713895997440/679238845924900864/KSP.log

OK, the mod is bugged maybe because of Unity version change in 1.8 and new textures.

The can't remember a diversified system even when just quitting and reloading the same save.

When quitting the game entirely and restarting it, and then loading the save, it just loads the default system.

So it doesn't really work unless you don't quit your save.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Do you think it could work for 1.9?

Edit: It seems to work alright.

Edit 2.  I tried to continue the game I starded with PD, but it loaded the stock system instead. So it doesn't seem to remember the diversified system when I quit game.

The only thing that I changed between the two times I loaded the game is that I added the newest version of Earn Your Stripes and FlightTracker, that might explain everything.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315145713895997440/679238845924900864/KSP.log

OK, the mod is bugged maybe because of Unity version change in 1.8 and new textures.

The can't remember a diversified system even when just quitting and reloading the same save.

When quitting the game entirely and restarting it, and then loading the save, it just loads the default system.

So it doesn't really work unless you don't quit your save.

Any news on a fix for this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recommend you to add KSC location shifting and planetary water surface color change options.

Like turning the oceans of Kerbin into opal color than just normal blue.

Edited by RandomKerbal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.