linuxgurugamer

[1.7.3] Planetary Diversity

Recommended Posts

 

Originally written by @Thomas P., adopted by myself

What is this?
This is a mod that adds some diversity to the (otherwise static) KSP solar system. It achieves that by changing various parameters of the CelestialBody and PQSMod components, but it has the potential for expanding it further, either through "official" tweaks, or tweaks made by other modders.

How does it work?
Every savegame you create in KSP gets a random number assigned, a seed. This seed is different for every savegame you create. Planetary Diversity modifies the solar system between the MainMenu and the SpaceCenter scene. It uses the seed from the savegame that was loaded to generate random numbers, for example to replace the static seeds in the terrain system. Since most of the planets in KSP are procedural, this changes how the KSP planets are formed. They are a bit different, but the overall look doesn't change, i.e. Kerbin will still be blue-ish, and Eve stays purple. It supports planets made with Kopernicus, however, if they don't have procedural components (i.e. they only have a height and a color map), it won't be able to change them.

At the moment it changes the seeds, orbits, color of gas planets, atmospheric pressure, names (hi Sigma!) and it can add / remove atmospheres. Also, it is modular, with an API, so users can implement their own tweaks if they want.

However, there is one caveat: When you load a savegame for the first time, with Planetary Diversity installed, it will lock down for a while. The reason is that in KSP, every planet has a low-res representation for larger distances - called "Scaled Space". This scaled space representation needs to be computed, but the computation is rather expensive. Thats why Planetary Diversity will generate the representations of all bodies in the solar system that were changed, and save it into your savegame folder. When you load the same save in the future, the mod will simply load the files from your disk instead of re-creating them every time.

Reviewed by Kottabos

What if I want to use a specific seed for my savegame?
While this is not possible in Stock KSP, Planetary Diversity adds an UI for this, in the Game Creation dialog.

The dialog has been enhanced a bit from the original implementation (see below):  There is now a toggle to the left of the Game Seed, which, if unset, will disable the mod from running on a game.  Additionally, there are toggles for the six main items which get changed, unsetting them will simply not implement those changes/

Jkdu3uM.png

 

The UI should be pretty much self-explanatory. It is also localizable.

Does this depend on Kopernicus?
No. It is completely standalone. However, if you have Kopernicus installed and the OnDemand texture loading feature is enabled, Planetary Diversity will integrate with it and load the planet textures only when they are needed.

But I don't want to have <insert Feature here> changed!
Don't worry, all tweaks can be disabled separately. Just open GameData/PlanetaryDiversity/Config/{config name}.cfg (for custom tweaks please ask the respective modder) and set everything you don't want to false. However, you can only disable it for your whole installation. Per-savegame configuration is neither planned nor easily realizable.

Availability

It is available in CKAN

Note:  This version has been compiled specifically against the 1.7 version of KSP.  While it will probably work for 1.5 & 1.6, those are unsupported

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer

Looks nice, thanks for reviving it! The next time I do a career/science playthrough, this is going in my GameData :)

One question though, does this support the Making History alternate launch sites? ie, will they be buried/floating, or will the mod keep the area around them the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does not protect, so there always is a possibility of them being buried

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 1.7.3.2

  • Version bump to fix release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long should it take to generate the ScaledSpace? I started a new game, left for a while, and it was still at 1/15 at 0%.

I'll try it again and see if it repeats itself.

 

edit: It is Kopernicus that is preventing the generation of the planets. It may work to install Kopernicus afterwards.

 

edit: also, your links for the source and download currently link to the wrong repositories.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help if you pinged me when making bug reports.

it is supposed to work with Kopernicus, ill have to look at that.

and ill get the links fixed later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, BigFatStupidHead said:

edit: It is Kopernicus that is preventing the generation of the planets. It may work to install Kopernicus afterwards.

No, it wont.  Please provide a log file.

Also, the links are now fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer: After many trials and tribulations, I've invited you on github to take a look at the two logs; one with Kopernicus and one without. Man, I don't post any files for a few months and everything just blows up when I try to use it. :(

I still see the same situation - a clean install of KSP with Planetary Diversity and Kopernicus never proceeds past 0% when generating scaled space, whereas it works correctly without Kopernicus.

Thanks for fixing the links!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

@linuxgurugamer: After many trials and tribulations, I've invited you on github to take a look at the two logs; one with Kopernicus and one without. Man, I don't post any files for a few months and everything just blows up when I try to use it. :(

I still see the same situation - a clean install of KSP with Planetary Diversity and Kopernicus never proceeds past 0% when generating scaled space, whereas it works correctly without Kopernicus.

Thanks for fixing the links!

Ummm, I don't see anything on Github, either in my repo or the original repo.

There is no need to go to Github, just post the links here to the files.

Also, which version of KSP and Kopernicus are you running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, I don't see anything on Github, either in my repo or the original repo.

There is no need to go to Github, just post the links here to the files.

Also, which version of KSP and Kopernicus are you running?

I probably messed up somewhere. Here's the logs. The test was done with Kopernicus 1.7.3-2 and KSP 1.7.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I assume you installed via CKAN, please remove it, tell CKAN to update and then install again.  This warning is not in my version at all.

Your log file was not available

17 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

I probably messed up somewhere. Here's the logs. The test was done with Kopernicus 1.7.3-2 and KSP 1.7.3

I've been able to replicate your issue.  Did you have a planet pack installed, or just Kopernicus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New release, 1.7.3.3

  • Fixed nullref when Kopernicus was installed, was causing generation to hang

I also updated the netkan info, it wasn't updating due to the old version number.

 

Please note that CKAN currently shoes 1.7.3.2.  It can take 3-5 hours for CKAN to see the new version

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume you installed via CKAN, please remove it, tell CKAN to update and then install again.  This warning is not in my version at all.

Your log file was not available

I downloaded it from github (never been a ckan fan). PlanetaryDiversity-1.7.3.2.zip and put the PlanetaryDiversity folder in my Gamedata folder directly.

The log is not available for a very good reason: I zipped it but then typed "log" in the link instead of "zip" :o

http://pulpaudio.com/ksp/planetary_diversity_172.zip

 

Looks like it's MiniAVC, which you didn't write (as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised actually :) )

I WAS using 1.7.2, and your version file says it's for 1.7.3. So the warning is correct to come up, but has incorrect wording.

Looking at your version file I don't see anything odd. I'll report this on their thread.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been able to replicate your issue.  Did you have a planet pack installed, or just Kopernicus?

No planet packs, just Kopernicus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I downloaded it from github (never been a ckan fan). PlanetaryDiversity-1.7.3.2.zip and put the PlanetaryDiversity folder in my Gamedata folder directly.

The log is not available for a very good reason: I zipped it but then typed "log" in the link instead of "zip" :o

http://pulpaudio.com/ksp/planetary_diversity_172.zip

 

Looks like it's MiniAVC, which you didn't write (as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised actually :) )

I WAS using 1.7.2, and your version file says it's for 1.7.3. So the warning is correct to come up, but has incorrect wording.

Looking at your version file I don't see anything odd. I'll report this on their thread.

Actually, I do AVC as well :-)

 

Anyway, 1.7.3.3 was a bad release, I just pushed out 1.7.3.4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.