What are some colonies and colony locations you are going to build?

GoldForest

51 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I suspect and hope that the big interstellar ship in the trailer is a mix between normal "VAB" craft parts and the new "Bae" colony/station parts.

Well, they did say that it was an Orbital Colony, and I didn't see any docking ports anywhere. 

Anybody thinking about a solar station? The challenge would be keeping it from overheating. Lots of heat shields and radiators and radiation shielding if they add that which I feel they are since Nate avoided the question about radiation with the Orion Drive.

It's a toss up between the canyon leading into the east far side crater, or the northwest crater on the mun for the first ground colonies. The first orbital colony will be outside of Minmus's orbit within Kerbin's SOI.

Probably Multiple colonies, at my favorite spots.

In stock KSP2 : 
 - Kerbin's North or South pole:  That will most likely be my planetary colony test bed.  And allow me to do what I was doing for science(tm) back in 0.23, which is jump from KSC to North Pole.  Then fly there with planes.
 - Definitely one on Duna, but dunno where.  Will have to rove around and see where's a good spot.
 - Probably an Orbital Colony around Jool.  Either between Laythe and Vall (where my Jool first probe EVER in KSP stayed for a very long time until it got Kraken'd) or if not, at the limit of Jool's SOI in a Polar orbit. 
 - Probably another Orbital Colony around Kerbol.  This one will be named "Halley's Komet" and have roughly the same orbital properties as said Comet, adjusted for KSP's scale, but minus the inverted orbit.  Always wanted to do this.
 - Like that trailer, on that ice-watery moon of Saturn.

Non-Stock KSP2 :
 - Orbit of Urlum(Uranus analogue) or/and on one of it's moon.
 - Surface of Tekto (Titan analogue)
 - heck a lot of places in the Outer Planet eras of the Solar System.

Specific mod, should they happen:
 - Gliese 581 system... Lots of Stations there.  Probably an Orbital station around G581d (rumored as a 100% waterworld, and kind of a big one at that).  and a few planetary colonies on each one.   I've never seen any KSP mod of this system.  But one might hope.  If modding is as  easy as they say it is going to be, maybe I can make it myself... We shall see.

Fns2IR4.jpg

220px-2001_A_Space_Odyssey_(1968).png

There's one station I really want to build... since like forever. Wishful thinking: Once such a thing is assembled, whether any particular section is habitat, laboratory, workshop or whatever should be mostly a matter of interior decoration. I don't expect that KSP2 will allow us to reconfigure modules in space, but wouldn't it be nice?

Not sure if I will be able to do it in KSP2, but I've always wanted an underwater base...

S'pose it will depend mostly on where they go with the buoyancy of parts.  I s'pose a floating base would be OK-ish too.

Edited by XLjedi

58 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Not sure if I will be able to do it in KSP2, but I've always wanted an underwater base...

S'pose it will depend mostly on where they go with the buoyancy of parts.  I s'pose a floating base would be OK-ish too.

Subnautica space program... :wink:

I'm very excited about space stations in general, in my most active KSP periods, it was my main gameplay focus, rather than significant interplanetary travel.  I hope we get a range of stylish and functional parts that work for space stations, based on the gameplay I've seen so far I'm fairly encouraged.  I always liked the FusTek station parts, as well as THSS and B9 from an aesthetic perspective, so I hope we lean a bit more into expanded station parts in both stock style and maybe some additional futuristic parts as well.

It does sound like we may have the option to directly build onto our space stations, just like terrestrial bases using some variation of the VAB/BAE.  That does make me very excited about the prospects of more complicated structures, like true stardocks or maybe even skyhooks.  Mostly though, I'm just excited for the possibility of bigger, more purposeful stations that won't bog down systems as much: I usually ran a fairly high spec PC for most of my KSP time and even then space stations were usually the biggest burden on my system.

4 hours ago, Francois424 said:

- Gliese 581 system... Lots of Stations there.  Probably an Orbital station around G581d (rumored as a 100% waterworld, and kind of a big one at that).  and a few planetary colonies on each one.   I've never seen any KSP mod of this system.  But one might hope.  If modding is as  easy as they say it is going to be, maybe I can make it myself... We shall see.

Fns2IR4.jpg

Oooh. If we're talking about real-world planetary systems, GJ 581 doesn't have many confirmed planets unfortunately. The outer three, g, d, and f are unconfirmed, but I guess that doesn't matter for a mod. GJ 1061 has 3 though, 2 in the HZ. Teegarden's star has only 2 planets, but they're both in the HZ.

However, what I'd really like to see is GJ 876. It has 4 planets, 1 super Earth, the rest are gas giants. And two of those gas giants are in the habitable zone, orbiting every 30 and 60 days. Don't think this is possible in real life exactly, due to the tight nature of the system, but imagine a small water world moon (like Europa but thawed out), around the closer in gas giant, and a somewhat larger moon with small continents, archipelagos, and large ice caps around the farther out gas giant.

Edited by Spaceception

To me I would build a colony in LKO with a orbital VAB so I can launch rockets from there without having to launch from kerbin. Then a colony on the Mun to mine resources and maintain a fuel station in orbit. Then a interplanetary pit stop where ships can refuel at, then probably a jool station to create interstellar missions and to mine helium 3. And finally I would build a gigantic colony ship to head out to the nearest system and become the base of operations there.

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Oooh. If we're talking about real-world planetary systems, GJ 581 doesn't have many confirmed planets unfortunately. The outer three, g, d, and f are unconfirmed, but I guess that doesn't matter for a mod. GJ 1061 has 3 though, 2 in the HZ. Teegarden's star has only 2 planets, but they're both in the HZ.

However, what I'd really like to see is GJ 876. It has 4 planets, 1 super Earth, the rest are gas giants. And two of those gas giants are in the habitable zone, orbiting every 30 and 60 days. Don't think this is possible in real life exactly, due to the tight nature of the system, but imagine a small water world moon (like Europa but thawed out), around the closer in gas giant, and a somewhat larger moon with small continents, archipelagos, and large ice caps around the farther out gas giant.

Well, I prefer my fantasy GJ581 where the picture about is 100% how the system is.  Complete with "Zarmina" -- ie: GJ581g.
I can imagine a Kerbin-sized world in orbit of one of your Goldilocks Gas Giants. Bonus points if it looks like Uranus, Neptune or Saturn...

At least colonies will give us "Something else to do" and on top of everything we already can do, going to be a very nice feature.

17 hours ago, Concodroid said:

Right on top of the VAB.

"I used the space centre to build the space centre."

13 hours ago, Francois424 said:

- Gliese 581 system... Lots of Stations there.

TRAPPIST-1 would also be a fun one. And Alpha/Proxima Centauri once more planets are discovered there.

On 9/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Xd the great said:

If flying colonies are allowed, a self-sustaining carrier capable of bombing everywhere in the solar system, complete with bombers, scouters, refueling landers and resource harvesters.

This sounds pretty much like what I always wanted to build in KSP:
The 'Pride of Hiigara'.  AKA the mothership from the Homeworld games.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, GoldForest said:

Anybody thinking about a solar station? The challenge would be keeping it from overheating. Lots of heat shields and radiators and radiation shielding if they add that which I feel they are since Nate avoided the question about radiation with the Orion Drive.

Why is this radiation? Droids are best suited to conquer the system. They do not ask for food.

РезÑлÑÑÐ°Ñ Ð¿Ð¾ÑÑÐºÑ Ð·Ð¾Ð±ÑÐ°Ð¶ÐµÐ½Ñ Ð·Ð° запиÑом "star wars droids pilot"

Edited by OOM

14 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

I'm going to build a HUGE orbital colony around Kerbin as my main construction base of interstellar ships.:D

Kerbin wouldnt be a good place to launch interstellar craft.

Jool would be best. Not only because it has the fuel, but because you could get a massive slingshot around the sun.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Kerbin wouldnt be a good place to launch interstellar craft.

Jool would be best. Not only because it has the fuel, but because you could get a massive slingshot around the sun.

But Kerbin is easier to get resources around