"Ad astra", lunar thriller

lajoswinkler

This is spectacular. The visuals are amazing. Finally some producers understand what space is. Dark sky without stars in daylight, no ambient sound in vacuum, ballistic dust (no convection), and there is even electrostatic lunar dust, it's amazing.

I'm just curious how is normal walking in the base explained, because that's not realistic.

I'm tempted to go see this. I hate "singularity/magic/mystery in space" stories, because often it goes down a deep rabbit hole of insanity on complete breaking of reality (I just want Apollo 13 style stories. XD )... but I could let it go for just one story, as it seems just the setup + ending is "magic space radiation" and the rest hard sci-fi.

So, we have large stations in Moon orbit, underground habitats?? with huge launch complex/rocket manufacturing facility on Mars, boom boom propulsion?,  humans in Saturn orbit, space elevators on Earth? and Moon land pirates.

And Brad Pitt.

I might give it a go.

Helmets are strange, not highlighted from inside. Not for true spaceman. Or for true but with hard life.

00:45
Shadows from building and the rovers are from two different suns.
But at least they have a giant cowboy on background.

00:54
So long rover with so small wheels, right above the ground. Such tuning requires blue xenon lamps from beneath.

01:00
Though, still not clear why clouds in vacuum.

01:05
True pirate gloves need small metal spikes on bones.

01:09
Can't understand what that ball on backround.

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Helmets are strange, not highlighted from inside. Not for true spaceman. Or for true but with hard life

00:45
Shadows from building and the rovers are from two different suns.
But at least they have a giant cowboy on background.

I don't see any strange shadows...

01:00
Though, still not clear why clouds in vacuum.

It's dust suspended by electric force.

Not convinced by that lunar rover chase/shootout sequence at all. Clearly not happening in 1/6th gravity (especially the part where the rover crashes). Additionally given the overall level of tech shown, something better than 1960's design rovers with more seats and a few bits tacked on seems very odd.

Apparently James Gray (writer/director) wanted to make "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie",  which obviously means car chases and gunfights on the moon, in what's clearly earth gravity.

Think I'll pass.

6 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Not convinced by that lunar rover chase/shootout sequence at all. Clearly not happening in 1/6th gravity (especially the part where the rover crashes). Additionally given the overall level of tech shown, something better than 1960's design rovers with more seats and a few bits tacked on seems very odd.

Apparently James Gray (writer/director) wanted to make "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie",  which obviously means car chases and gunfights on the moon, in what's clearly earth gravity.

Think I'll pass.

Why is everyone fixating on rover looks? Did Hollywood brainwash people so much that they don't understand that Apollo rovers were not a fashion choice, but exclusively functional industrial design?

Lunar surface is no place for heavy automobiles. Mass stays the same regardless of gravity. Weight decreases, and therefore friction decreases. Good luck trying to stop a fast moving heavy vehicle in such conditions. There's also a problem of heat management. Big bulky stuff is a bad choice.

And where do you see Earth's gravity in the chase scenes? I see just one faster falling motion at 01:28 and that's it. But when stuff is colliding, it's clearly lower gravity.

I'm kind of in a "Wait and See" attitude with this one
I have to admit, what looks like artificial gravity is a turn off
But the chase scene looks fun...  :cool:

And driving over a crater edge??? OK, yeah... I'm thinking "Been there, done that..."   :rolleyes:

I'm going to wait and see what my daughter says... She's a harsh critic, hardcore alien fanatic... hehehe... and knows exactly what I like and don't like in a movie.

Edited by Just Jim

It's a movie about safety belts and their importance for working at altitude.

Side boosters have same plumes as the central core. Either liquid ones, or an oops.

The 2nd trailer. The hero and the herowife in bed.
She, dearly: "What are you thinking about?"
(He, pensively: "What if after the bielliptic orbit transfer combine the oberth maneuver with aerobraking, you see?")

Edited by kerbiloid

Okay, I noticed one break from reality in the "space elevator" (or whatever it was?) scene: his EVA suit (which looked like a typical Shuttle launch/entry suit) was all wrinkly, when it should have puffed out when he was in vacuum. Unless it wasn't pressurized, and he had a mechanical counterpressure suit underneath...

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Okay, I noticed one break from reality in the "space elevator" (or whatever it was?) scene: his EVA suit (which looked like a typical Shuttle launch/entry suit) was all wrinkly, when it should have puffed out when he was in vacuum. Unless it wasn't pressurized, and he had a mechanical counterpressure suit underneath...

His thermals're too tight.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Eh, even on the moon it looks too floppy to me. Could just be my eyes, but also I'd think/thought that the apollo astronauts had a much more restricted range of motion. Or astronauts in general.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.