[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

RealPlume-Stock v1.5.0 and RealPlume v12.1.0 have been published!

Get it on github or spacedock or wait for it to be picked up by CKAN.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/releases/tag/v1.5.0

I've previewed a lot of the stuff in this update on this thread but you can see the changelog below for the full story.

The highlights are:

RealPlume

• 8 New exotic plumes based on Near Future Propulsion FX
  • Near future propulsion sound FX for all new and legacy exotic plumes.
  • 4 new Nuclear plumes based on Kerbal Atomics FX
  • New hypergolic lower red plume suitable for UDMH+NTO engines

RealPlume-Stock

• Comprehensive configs for Knes.
  • New plumes applied to Kerbal Atomics
  • New plumes applied to NFP
  • New plumes for all ReDirect liquid engines.

In particular I would like to thank @Nertea once again for the Near Future Propulsion and Kerbal Atomics FX.

The Near Future Propulsion sound effects have also been added and a thank you goes to the original author iOSYS (Alex Catamo) for granting permission to use them

The new multi segment hypergolic lower red plume is based on a custom plume I did for BDB LR87s which in turn was made with guidance from @Nessus_ who makes bespoke plumes for Tundra. Huge thanks to him for the advice on how to make a plume like that. Check out his latest here :) Video of awesome new Tundra Raptor plume.

Also thanks again to @Rocket Witch for contributing configs.

Full changelogs

RealPlume-Stock

v1.5.0:

• Updated bundled RealPlume to v12.1.0
  • Updated .version file
  • Complete Knes configs. Add new plumes to existing engines and complete missing ones
  • New Nuclear plumes for Kerbal Atomics (except for Aerospikes)
  • New Nuclear Plumes for Atomic Age engines (as used in Space Tux Industries and Missing History)
  • New plumes for ReDirect liquid engines.
  • New methalox plumes for Near Future Launch Vehicles
  • New exotic plumes for Near Future Propulsion.
  • Add missing configs to Space Y (Rocket Witch)
  • Add missing configs to Fuel Tanks Plus (Rocket Witch)
  • Add missing configs to Modular Rocket Systems (Rocket Witch)
  • Fine tune some ReStock plumes.
  • Disable patches for in development ReStock engines until they are released.
  • Fix SXT MEM lander config.

RealPlume

v12.1.0:

• Add global saturationMult for all plumes (default to 1 ie no change if undefined in PLUME node)
  • Add global alphaMult for all plumes (default to 1 ie no change if undefined in PLUME node)
  • Add new Hypergolic_LowerRed a multi segment plume with realistic shock diamonds (ideal for UDMH+NTO engines).
  • Add Kerbal Atomics FX (all rights reserved, used with permission from Nertea)
  • Add new Nuclear Solid Core LH2 plume
  • Add new Nuclear Solid Core LOX augmented plume
  • Add new Nuclear Gas Core close cycle plume
  • Add new Nuclear Gas Core open cycle plume
  • Add Near Future Propulsion FX (all rights reserved, used with permission from Nertea)
  • Add Near Future Propulsion sounds (all rights reserved, used with permission from iOSYS, (Alex Catamo)
  • Add new VASIMIR Argon Plume
  • Add new VASIMIR Xenon Plume
  • Add new Pulsed Inductive Thruster Plume
  • Add new Magnetoplasmadynamic Plume
  • Add new Ion Argon plumes (gridded and hall effect)
  • Add new Ion Xenon plumes (gridden and hall effect)
  • Add NFP sounds to legacy Ion plumes
  • Add saturationMult density curve to reduce saturation slightly when expanded to all kerolox plumes, new and old.
  • Change flare effect in Hypergolic_UpperWhite
  • Path fixes in Methalox Lower, Hypergolic Upper White, Hydrolox Upper Blue
  • Add missing NFLV effect
  • Fix methalox upper alphaMult
  • volume fixes for Hydrolox_UpperBlue
  • Add missing ReStock FX texture for Hypergolic_UpperWhite
  • Update 000_zRealPlume.cfg to set default values for new plume parameters if undefined
Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Homozygote said:

Just a heads up, the stock aerospike seems to have an offset plume these past 2 updates.

I dunno if it's a mod thing or not, I have a bunch installed. Let me know if you'd like my log or anything. Always been a big fan of this mod :)

Oh I see what's happened. Sometime between when RealPlume-Stock v1.3.1 was released and when I took over, RealPlume core was given a update by Blowfish in the way the module manager patching is done. This means that the way you target a MM patch for modifications done to the Plume after its applied is different.

The Dart config is one of the few configs in RealPlume-stock that applies a plume and then deletes part of it afterwards (the flare). But with the updates to realplume core (from 11.2.0 actually) that part of the config no longer works. I'll post a fix to the dev branch and then publish a bug fix release after a couple of days (allowing for any other bug reports).

While investigating I also noticed this particular plume (which is an old one) has some issues. It breaks up into little circles.

FbEf5YFl.png

But new smokescreen features called emitOnUpdate and decluster can make it look way better! I will update the plume itself too in addition to the engine config.

XcvGcjtl.png

I will need to visit all of the old plumes at some point and see which ones are improved by these features without breaking existing configs. It should be most of them but I need to verify it first.

Edited by Zorg

Hello @Zorg,

First Thank you for your hard work for this great mod!

Sorry, for the (maybe) dumb question, but are this MM patches now integrated or do I still need to copy them in:

Spoiler

//
//configs for FTmN engines;
//tested on the versions from the Recycled Parts continuation maintained by linuxgurugamer.
//
@PART[ftmn40]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.9
        fixedScale = 0.6
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.5
        emissionMult = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Hydrogen-NTR
    }
}
@PART[ftmn80]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.85
        fixedScale = 0.7
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.1
        emissionMult = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[ftmn160]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.9
        fixedScale = 0.8
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.5
        emissionMult = 1.5
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[ftmn180]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.85
        fixedScale = 0.85
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.1
        emissionMult = 1.5
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[ftmn280]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.9
        fixedScale = 0.9
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.5
        emissionMult = 2
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[ftmn400]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.8
        fixedScale = 1.2
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.1
        emissionMult = 2
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[bl40n]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.75
        fixedScale = 0.9
        energy = 1.5
        speed = 1.15
        emissionMult = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}
@PART[ltby5000]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hydrogen-NTR
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,0.75
        fixedScale = 0.4
        energy = 1.25
        speed = 1.5
        emissionMult = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }
}

Edited by N3N

3 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hello @Zorg,

First Thank you for your hard work for this great mod!

Sorry, for the (maybe) dumb question, but are this MM patches now integrated or do I still need to copy them in:

Yes those patches are integrated now. There's no need to have your own copies of those patches. 

Edited by Zorg

On 9/14/2019 at 1:02 AM, Sleepyjoe5 said:

The engines that have the plumes offset are the Cormorant Shuttle mods Shuttle maneuvering engines, and the reDirect Orion/Space Shuttle KJ-10 "Viking" Orbital Maneuvering Engine.

As mentioned earlier, ReDirect has been fixed now with the latest release. Cormorant is fixed on the Github master, Pak just merged my pull request. Its not in a published release yet so you need to get the gihub master if you want it.

https://github.com/Pak84/Cormorant-Aeronology

Edited by Zorg

Hello,

I've been having issues with real plume on 1.6.1 using Realism Overhaul. When I'm flying any rocket from any mod with any engine, the plume will either stop for the rest of its life time or will turn on and off throughout the burn. Any suggestions? This also happens with reentry particles as well. Thanks

55 minutes ago, JacobPF9 said:

Hello,

I've been having issues with real plume on 1.6.1 using Realism Overhaul. When I'm flying any rocket from any mod with any engine, the plume will either stop for the rest of its life time or will turn on and off throughout the burn. Any suggestions? This also happens with reentry particles as well. Thanks

Which version of Smokescreen do you have installed? Please provide a link to your KSP log file. But if its happening to reentry particles that sounds unrelated to realplume and or smokescreen. 

5 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

hey @Zorg is there anything that can be used to create an approximation of wind-blown smoke plumes? I think maybe I saw some properties for random particle movement after emission but not sure if that can be used for such a thing. Have you experimented with this idea at all?

Whats your use case for this? As part of an existing engine plume or something else? For the most part even on the new plumes I made like the new Kerolox stuff I copied the old "plumeboundary" effects from the old kerolox plumes for the smoke (which is quite light).

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Whats your use case for this? As part of an existing engine plume or something else? For the most part even on the new plumes I made like the new Kerolox stuff I copied the old "plumeboundary" effects from the old kerolox plumes for the smoke (which is quite light).

I mean, is there a way to get whatever smoke particles (from SRBs mostly I assume) that are applied to drift off over their lifetime so that they don't just stay in a straight path along the rocket's line of travel? Something like this:

ifvb9eA.gif

So it's not anything too extreme but just breaks up the otherwise smooth trail that is usually put out. I think there are parameters for the direction in which the particle is ejected from the emitter that causes them to vary their positioning but I'm not sure if that's what they would be used for or if this is even possible. I'm wondering if you've explored this at all

Also I did a Google search for that image and turns out it was posted by HarvesteR asking about making smoke trails in Unity back in 2009 :0.0:

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I mean, is there a way to get whatever smoke particles (from SRBs mostly I assume) that are applied to drift off over their lifetime so that they don't just stay in a straight path along the rocket's line of travel? Something like this:

So it's not anything too extreme but just breaks up the otherwise smooth trail that is usually put out. I think there are parameters for the direction in which the particle is ejected from the emitter that causes them to vary their positioning but I'm not sure if that's what they would be used for or if this is even possible. I'm wondering if you've explored this at all

Also I did a Google search for that image and turns out it was posted by HarvesteR asking about making smoke trails in Unity back in 2009 :0.0:

Oh I see what you mean. Thing is I did look at new SRB plumes a couple of times even when I was doing BDB custom plumes and I wasn't able to make something that looked good much less an improvement over the current ones. Making a new SRB plume is definitely a goal of mine IF I can figure out how to make it look good AND also make it considerably more particle efficient than the current. The current SRB plumes have the biggest performance impact of anything in RealPlume as a single SRB can throw upwards of a 1000 particles if you haven't hit your smokescreen limit. That said they do look fantastic so that's a high bar to meet.

Even developing and messing around with the effects is quite tough with persistent trails as you can't really preview the full effect on a test stand. You actually need to test from a moving platform to see properly.

If I ever do manage to make a new SRB plume I will look into what you asked above, it may be possible with the kind of persistent trailing effects being used. However, I am not at all sure I will be able to make an improved plume to begin with.

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

If I ever do manage to make a new SRB plume I will look into what you asked above, it may be possible with the kind of persistent trailing effects being used. However, I am not at all sure I will be able to make an improved plume to begin with.

sounds good, buuuuuut still not quite sure we're on the same page here :) Not asking for any new plume effects. Maybe I should have asked this in the Smokescreen thread to be honest but it seemed relevant enough here and something I was asking you directly anyways. You seem to be talking about new FX for the particles themselves, I'm just talking about their behavior. I'm not asking for smoke that looks as good as that image (tho of course that would be cool :P) I'm wondering if we can make smoke act like that image, getting all bendy. I haven't fully explored all of Smokescreen's emitter properties and figured maybe you had tried to do this. If not, I'll go ask over on the Smokescreen thread to see what Sarbian thinks. I mean I know he would know but I figured even if he did know if it was possible he probably never actually tried it like you might have during all your work with plumes

Just now, Drew Kerman said:

sounds good, buuuuuut still not quite sure we're on the same page here :) Not asking for any new plume effects. Maybe I should have asked this in the Smokescreen thread to be honest but it seemed relevant enough here and something I was asking you directly anyways. You seem to be talking about new FX for the particles themselves, I'm just talking about their behavior. I'm not asking for smoke that looks as good as that image (tho of course that would be cool :P) I'm wondering if we can make smoke act like that image, getting all bendy. I haven't fully explored all of Smokescreen's emitter properties and figured maybe you had tried to do this. If not, I'll go ask over on the Smokescreen thread to see what Sarbian thinks. I mean I know he would know but I figured even if he did know if it was possible he probably never actually tried it like you might have during all your work with plumes

Oh yeah just to elaborate I am not so keen on making modifications to existing legacy plumes to avoid issues with long standing configs. So adding more random effects to trails would probably be part of a new srb plume. 

The main issue I see with it is that the way it would be done is to add more random velocity or xy force. It should result in a wavier trail. But it would also make the plume look way more expanded near the engine bell all else being equal. So the overall effect might not be so desirable. But I'll keep it mind next time I get tinkering. 

Big thanks for the recent updates, much appreciated! :) 

I still remember the day when I found out about Real Plume, installed it, ran it for the first time: how could I ever have played with out this mod? :D 

Question though: any change to have the plume for the little Caravel engine from the RLA Reborn mod (RLA_small_spike.cfg) fixed? I love small rockets! 

Thanks in advance :) 

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

Big thanks for the recent updates, much appreciated! :) 

I still remember the day when I found out about Real Plume, installed it, ran it for the first time: how could I ever have played with out this mod? :D 

Question though: any change to have the plume for the little Caravel engine from the RLA Reborn mod (RLA_small_spike.cfg) fixed? I love small rockets! 

Thanks in advance :) 

You're most welcome. Whats up with the caravel engine? Planning on doing a small maintenance release in a couple of days so will take a look then.

7 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Great, thanks in advance!

*sends you a like*

:) Alright I've pushed a fix to the dev branch that should fix all plumes that have been modified after they are applied. Was only a couple more of them including the RLA linear aerospike. I havent had the chance to test them but the fix is simple and should work.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/development

Hello, thank you for the work you’ve done on Realplume. The result looks really nice, given what you’ve already done on BDB. I’d like to know if you also changed the plumes on the solid rocket boosters on reDirect? Also, I’d like to know what are the next mods that will be compatilble with real plume (Tantares?, ...) . 

Once again, thank you for tour amazing work !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.