[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

1 hour ago, kerbalxploder said:

Hello, I'm using Realplume Stock, but I thought it would be cool to give myself a twist. I put different plumes to engines, and I have successfully done so for a couple engines. However, I've grown enervated of quitting KSP and relaunching it on and on. I am only a noob, but how could I make it easier for myself? I can use Unity to some extent, and if I can do it there, that'd be great. In that case, how would I export effects into Unity?

You are using the in game smokescreen GUI right? You can edit and resize plumes in real time with that though you do still need to save the values to the config and reload when its final. the smokescreen button shows up in the Toolbar mod or by pressing alt+P (option +P for mac)

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

You are using the in game smokescreen GUI right? You can edit and resize plumes in real time with that though you do still need to save the values to the config and reload when its final. the smokescreen button shows up in the Toolbar mod or by pressing alt+P (option +P for mac)

Oh, how would I open the SmokeScreen GUI? Is there some sort of command? I don't see smokescren in my mods toolbar

But thank you so much for your reply.

Edit: Stupid me, I didn't have the toolbar mod installed.

Edited by kerbalxploder

Hey, me again.  I got the toolbar mod installed and dependency fulfilled, and I launched KSP.  Nothing unusual happened, but when I looked at the toolbar, I saw one of my mods, DistantObject to be specific, but not this mod.  Again, I am a clueless idiot when it comes to modding and the technical stuffs for KSP, and I thought I could ask for some help here. 

Here's my log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fmqopIVbOIR_Wx-5ARAfuj5iKrXDpdhn/view?usp=sharing

And here's my Gamedata file if it interests you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IdDdtyaa25tyTc6I_e5Sy5N4wuSDvdWl/view?usp=sharing

Edited by kerbalxploder

4 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

saw one of my mods, DistantObject to be specific, but not this mod.

I'm not the author but I took a peek at the SmokeScreen code, and I think the toolbar button might only be in the flight scene. Is that where you looked?

edit: sorry, not at the right comp to just start KSP and try it and tell you for sure

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

5 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Hey, me again.  I got the toolbar mod installed and dependency fulfilled, and I launched KSP.  Nothing unusual happened, but when I looked at the toolbar, I saw one of my mods, DistantObject to be specific, but not this mod.  Again, I am a clueless idiot when it comes to modding and the technical stuffs for KSP, and I thought I could ask for some help here. 

Here's my log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fmqopIVbOIR_Wx-5ARAfuj5iKrXDpdhn/view?usp=sharing

And here's my Gamedata file if it interests you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IdDdtyaa25tyTc6I_e5Sy5N4wuSDvdWl/view?usp=sharing

@kerbalxploder, have you tried hitting alt + p?  That is what I use to open up the GUI, I don't have a button on the toolbar as far as I am aware.

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm not the author but I took a peek at the SmokeScreen code, and I think the toolbar button might only be in the flight scene. Is that where you looked?

edit: sorry, not at the right comp to just start KSP and try it and tell you for sure

As soon as I open my save, the toolbar appears on my screen, the thing with the colorful squares. Tool bar does, in fact, show up during flight as well. Neither of those scenarios was there the SmokeScreen/Realplume indication. Edit: Now I do see something, but I don't think it opens the right UI though....

52 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@kerbalxploder, have you tried hitting alt + p?  That is what I use to open up the GUI, I don't have a button on the toolbar as far as I am aware.

Oh, I will give that an attempt. You might have saved me here, I don't know. I'll edit as soon as I see what happens.

Edit: Now I see a button for SmokeScreen. Thanks so much. But what I see on its UI are the stats for the particles and etc. Is that what you see as well, or am I delusional? Preferably, I'd love to get to where I can edit the plumes

This is what the window looks like to me - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XPNZ67nAbBChuVljqM5EOjUpUTrbThCx/view?usp=sharing

(Don't look at the craft, I made that in 3 seconds)

Edited by kerbalxploder

On 11/12/2020 at 6:48 PM, vinix said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YsaRq3Xl1o6a9392BDBguEiC9BD3IS-w/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dsMW8W2DMIojoKOxWGdadust0u3N86QB/view?usp=sharing

There you go, there is the full list of mod installed, plus a screenshot of gamedata. It is to note that Kopernicus, modularflightintegrator and parallax were not installed yet when the bug occured.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:06 AM, Phil deCube said:

Here you go. I have CKAN, so this is a dump from that. Let me know if you can't open it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Gi0VEekpmz5M8foKveJQLYbRoYZDDQa/view?usp=sharing

I think I have managed to fix it but I havent been able to test all combinations. If you have the time would you both mind testing the github master on your installs?

Simply replace GameData/realplume-stock with the realplume-stock folder inside this  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/archive/master.zip

On 11/20/2020 at 7:53 AM, kerbalxploder said:

As soon as I open my save, the toolbar appears on my screen, the thing with the colorful squares. Tool bar does, in fact, show up during flight as well. Neither of those scenarios was there the SmokeScreen/Realplume indication. Edit: Now I do see something, but I don't think it opens the right UI though....

Oh, I will give that an attempt. You might have saved me here, I don't know. I'll edit as soon as I see what happens.

Edit: Now I see a button for SmokeScreen. Thanks so much. But what I see on its UI are the stats for the particles and etc. Is that what you see as well, or am I delusional? Preferably, I'd love to get to where I can edit the plumes

This is what the window looks like to me - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XPNZ67nAbBChuVljqM5EOjUpUTrbThCx/view?usp=sharing

(Don't look at the craft, I made that in 3 seconds)

Your screenshot file does not seem to be public. Be aware that you need to have a config applied to an engine before you can start editing it in the GUI. You can't configure something completely from scratch. So apply a plume before loading the game with dummy values in the PLUME node and then use the GUI to find the correct values.

Edited by Zorg

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Your screenshot file does not seem to be public. Be aware that you need to have a config applied to an engine before you can start editing it in the GUI. You can't configure something completely from scratch. So apply a plume before loading the game with dummy values in the PLUME node and then use the GUI to find the correct values.

I had the configs set with this mod for all the engines, and I tried editing it. It seems like I found some sort of a way, but it's still confusing. I might be learning for a while here.

59 minutes ago, kerbalxploder said:

I had the configs set with this mod for all the engines, and I tried editing it. It seems like I found some sort of a way, but it's still confusing. I might be learning for a while here.

Unfortunately its not always straightforward. But just a quick summary now that I had a moment to open the game:

screenshot159.png?width=1535&height=863

screenshot158.png?width=1535&height=863

So once you press alt+p or the tool bar button you should have that box on the top left. This shows each of the individual effects that make a up a plume. Most plumes have about 2-3 effects but some (like the first one pictured use several).

Next click on one of the effects, choose manual inputs and now the effect will become visible. You can preview its look with throttle and altitude by moving the atmo density and power val sliders. (the others arent used by RealPlume).

Spoiler

pro tip: if you check "share manual input values across effects" you can open different effects, check "manual inputs" and preview them together. Note that you can only have 1 window for an effect open at a time so you need to close the window after checking "manual inputs"

Next you click config editor on the bottom and press import. The only things you're interested in here are local position and local scale.

Heres where it gets a little tricky: Most of these are not controlled individually. When you create a PLUME node, the individual effects grab their values from this. And different types of plumes are set up differently.

For instance with the second one you can see that each of those is controlled individually (ignore the turbo effect, thats a custom thing)

PLUME
{
  name = BDB_HypergolicUpperRed
  transformName = thrustTransform
  localRotation = 0,0,0
  localPosition = 0,0,0
  energy = 1
  speed = 1

flarePosition = 0,0,-0.3
  flareScale = 0.2

FumePosition = 0,0,0.3
  FumeScale = 1.4

streamPosition = 0,0,0.4
  streamScale = 1
}

However the first one is quite different.

PLUME
		{
		name = BDB_KeroloxLower_Flame
		localRotation = 0,0,0
		localPosition = 0,0,0
		emissionMult = 1
		saturationMult = 1

flarePosition = 0,0,-0.2
		flareScale = 0.06

plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
		plumeScale = 1

flamePosition = 0,0,0.3
		flameScale = 1

}

As you can see here just 3 position and 3 scale variables control 6 effects. In this example, flare is controlled by flarePosition/scale, flame by flamePosition/scale, and the other 4 are all by plumePosition/scale.

Unfortunately there is no way to know which variable controls what from the in game GUI. You either have to inspect the original prefabs in RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes if you understand a bit of module manager or simply work out which is which by matching the starting values from your config to the what you see when you click "Import"

If individual effects are not configured using variables like flarePosition etc, the effects will default to localPosition and localScale typically at the top of the PLUME node. Most effects need a bit of tweaking individually though so you often cant get away with simplifying like this.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

So once you press alt+p or the tool bar button you should have that box on the top left. This shows each of the individual effects that make a up a plume. Most plumes have about 2-3 effects but some (like the first one pictured use several).

Next click on one of the effects, choose manual inputs and now the effect will become visible. You can preview its look with throttle and altitude by moving the atmo density and power val sliders. (the others arent used by RealPlume).

Yeah, I managed to figure out to this point. 

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Next you click config editor on the bottom and press import. The only things you're interested in here are local position and local scale.

Oh, so even if I change the plume type in the dialogue given, it's supposed to not change anything? Because that's been my experience.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Heres where it gets a little tricky: Most of these are not controlled individually. When you create a PLUME node, the individual effects grab their values from this. And different types of plumes are set up differently.

Wait, if I click import, is that showing me the configs for the individual engine or the plumes themselves in original restock?

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Unfortunately there is no way to know which variable controls what from the in game GUI. You either have to inspect the original prefabs in RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes if you understand a bit of module manager or simply work out which is which by matching the starting values from your config to the what you see when you click "Import"

Yeah, that has been a hunch confusing for me. What I've been doing is changing the values for each effect, then applying to see what changes. I've used this method on multiple effects, but it has not failed to drive me crazy, since some numerical values Ive entered were not proportionate to their graphical appearance. An example for such behavior was when I tweaked Energy, at one point the effect just disappears. However, for places where I actually wanted to make an effect invisible, it just persisted no matter what I did with the energy, or any value in the case.

Also, I've been wanting to change the effects for certain engines, and I found that it does not work in the in-game UI, so I just went to gamedata and rewrote the engine effect there, basing the name off of the realplume effect folder. I've had some engines work, like when I changed the spark effect to Ammonialox, but other cases, such as changing the Poodle to Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE or something (I'm in a hurry right now, sorry I can't confirm the name), the plume just disappears, as well as the sound. I look at the Realplume console, and there are no particles emitted.

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

I think I have managed to fix it but I havent been able to test all combinations. If you have the time would you both mind testing the github master on your installs?

Simply replace GameData/realplume-stock with the realplume-stock folder inside this  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/archive/master.zip

Yeah, that seems to have done the trick.

I tried a Nerv and several other common engines and got sound from all of them.

Cheers and thanks.

Oh, so even if I change the plume type in the dialogue given, it's supposed to not change anything? Because that's been my experience.

If you change a value for localPosition and localScale and click apply you should see live changes. If it doesn't, that sounds like a smokescreen bug. I would report it on the smokescreen thread.

Wait, if I click import, is that showing me the configs for the individual engine or the plumes themselves in original restock?

if you click import its showing you the the raw parameters for that specific effect as applied to that individual engine.

When using RealPlume templates each template contains dozens of float curve nodes controlling the shape of the plume. You dont want to mess with these unless making a new plume from scratch. These also respond to the parameters in the PLUME node values such as plumeScale, plumePosition etc which is what you're interested in.

1 hour ago, Davros_ADL_2 said:

To configure the RealPlume mod to SmokeScreen, does RealPlume need to be in the mods folder or in another folder in smokescreen? Because I have realplume in the mods folder and it does nothing but make a few engine plumes invisible.

If you downloaded the mod from space dock you should have 3 separate folders each of which needs to be on its own inside the GameData folder

RealPlume

RealPlume-stock

Smokescreen

In addition you also need module manager which goes directly in game data.

Hi there! I'm currently having an issue modifying config files. I'm wondering how I can change the colour of the flames/plumes? I'm using the Vector engine, and I want it to be orange and firey, like SRB's, instead of the current reddish colour. This is the file; 

@PART[SSME]:NEEDS[ReStock,!WaterfallRestock]:AFTER[ReStock]
{
  !EFFECTS {}
}
@PART[SSME]:NEEDS[zRealPlume,SmokeScreen,ReStock,!WaterfallRestock]
{
      @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
      {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
        %powerEffectName = Cryogenic_LowerSSME_CE
      }

PLUME
      {
      name = Cryogenic_LowerSSME_CE
      localRotation = 0,0,0
      localPosition = 0,0,0

speed = 1
      energy = 1
      emissionMult = 1

shockPosition = 0,0,0.3
      shockScale = 0.4

plumePosition = 0,0,0
      plumeScale = 2

plume2Scale = 2
      }
}

Thanks in advance.

are you guys planning on making pentaborane plumes? i'm thinking about making a small mod with some near future chemical engines running questionable propellants. Anyway, if so, I hope they aren't to complicated because I still use the deprecated plumes because they are simpler lol

7 hours ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

are you guys planning on making pentaborane plumes? i'm thinking about making a small mod with some near future chemical engines running questionable propellants. Anyway, if so, I hope they aren't to complicated because I still use the deprecated plumes because they are simpler lol

On 5/1/2020 at 8:45 PM, Zorg said:

Pentaborane plume for those of you who like to live dangerously. Its not applied to anything but its there for anyone to use if they want to make such a config for a green fire breathing engine.

screenshot188.png?width=1477&height=831

8 hours ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

As KeaKaka pointed out above, the pentaborane template exists. It is more complex than the old plumes but thats the cost of realistic shock diamonds etc.

Its not that bad though

1) to control the glowing flare at the exit

flarePosition

flareScale

2) To control the main plume effects together with the shock diamonds etc

plumePosition

plumeScale

3) to control the vacuum effects

fumePosition

fumeScale

15 hours ago, japsert said:

Hi there! I'm currently having an issue modifying config files. I'm wondering how I can change the colour of the flames/plumes? I'm using the Vector engine, and I want it to be orange and firey, like SRB's, instead of the current reddish colour. This is the file; 

Thanks in advance.

look for an engine with a plume you like, find its config file, change the powerEffectName for the vector engine to the plume you like and the contents of the PLUME node. You will likely need to resize things to fit.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@theleg, Zorg has a post in the previous page about the future of RealPlume.  It's my understanding that Zorg and other modders are moving to using Waterfall for liquid fuel engines/RCS, but keep RealPlume for SRBs.

Thanks a lot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.