[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

25 minutes ago, Deltac said:

For Benjee's shuttle, the OMS engines have some effect situated far away from the other effects.

The little puffs in the upper right.  Is this realplume or something else?

Actually the problem was simpler than I thought. Benjee AJ10 engine doesnt like offset curves being used. Fixed for the next release and also now in the dev branch https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/development

27 minutes ago, EatenOrpheus30 said:

Everything seems to work except there's no smoke trail. The plume and everything is there but there no trail like in this image. Is this a problem on my end or does the mod just not have this?

Big lingering smoke trails like that typically only happen on solid rockets, and I know RealPlume has some smoke trail on its solid configs.

7 hours ago, EatenOrpheus30 said:

Everything seems to work except there's no smoke trail. The plume and everything is there but there no trail like in this image. Is this a problem on my end or does the mod just not have this?

As Blowfish pointed out, the big persistent trails come with solid rocket boosters. As illustrated by this incident when I forgot to check my staging. :(

eVAHSooh.png

DXJwLHxh.png

nD7C7ZSh.png

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

Btw, sounds, maybe it's just my ears, but the NERV became pretty quiet, almost flustering, compared to other nuclear engines (e.g. the NB2mNuclearEngine from Necro Bones's MRS mod)?

Yeah there are some volume scaling issues with some nuclear engines. I switched the sound to the stock running sound (just so they sound a bit different) but with much lower pitch which makes the percieved sound lower too. I've made some adjustments already but will take a second look at the NERV in case i missed it.

edit: Looks like I made a 50% bump in volume within the prefab itself actually. so all nuclear engines using those prefabs should be louder.

Edited by Zorg

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

In the next version, I assume? Atm, I've 1.6.0 installed.

Ah, found already time to create a config for the little Bambi engine from the SSR MicroSat mod? Again, nothing urgent all, just asking :) 

Yeah it will be in the next version. Havent done the microsat mod configs yet but Im working on RealPlume today and tomorrow and so will fit that in at some point. Not too sure when the next release will be, I need to check and see if smokescreen works in 1.8. As always can check the latest on the development branches of realplume and realplume stock on github.

Right now I have learned to create my own plume FX models (so far I've only used Jade's and Nertea's FX) and am redoing the methalox plumes :)

This is the updated methalox vac plume at sea level (NFLV Raptor vac)

udEh2zjh.png

And in vacuum

GPcNSLph.png

The sea level plume seen here on the NFLV BE4 (the vaccum look will  be identical to the vac plume)

xk2fLSTh.png

9 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What version of the game are you on, 1.7.3 or 1.8.0?

I noticed with both 1.7 and 1.8.

8 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

That's a confirmed bug of KSP itself, afaik not resolved yet.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23302

Yeah, I’ve seen that bug post, and assumed it was a vanilla bug too for a long time.  BUT... with 1.8 arrival,  I removed all my mods and it was fixed (!).  Then I put mods back and it was brokey.  So re-added mods one at a time and realplume was the culprit.  Smokescreen is fine alone.  I’ve only experimented/confirmed with liquid and solid rocket engines, not air breathers yet 

...I just did some more experimenting, and the vanilla bug is with air breathing engines, while realplume "extends the bug" to other rocket engines...

Edited by DrKoz
new info

1 hour ago, DrKoz said:

I noticed with both 1.7 and 1.8.

Yeah, I’ve seen that bug post, and assumed it was a vanilla bug too for a long time.  BUT... with 1.8 arrival,  I removed all my mods and it was fixed (!).  Then I put mods back and it was brokey.  So re-added mods one at a time and realplume was the culprit.  Smokescreen is fine alone.  I’ve only experimented/confirmed with liquid and solid rocket engines, not air breathers yet 

...I just did some more experimenting, and the vanilla bug is with air breathing engines, while realplume "extends the bug" to other rocket engines...

24 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Now that's interesting, last time I played w/o RP is years ago... curious, what @Zorg says about this.

I don't know what to tell you. At the end of the day RealPlume is a set of module manager patches and it patches the audio node of the relevant parts EFFECTS node correctly. I've double checked the configCache and I don't see any mis-configuration of the audio node.

Smokescreen is not involved in that part of the realplume patches so thats not really relevant. 

I just opened my fresh 1.8 install. As you say, the volume is reduced when you zoom out on a bone stock install. And when realplume is installed the volume in constant regardless of zoom. However given that there is no issue with the way the node is configured, I had a thought and installed ReStock WITHOUT realplume. Restock also removes the effects node and inserts its own. However the sounds it uses are KSP built in sounds. 

And yet the bug returns. So I can only conclude that this isnt anything to do with RealPlume per se. Perhaps its module manager? Or more likely something about the way KSP handles sound. I dont know enough about the guts of the game to speculate further. 

EDIT: I've eliminated Module Manager. I unistalled MM, removed everything else. Just installed TantaresLV. The Tantares engines do not reduce in volume when zoomed out. The stock engines do on the same install. So whatever it is, its down to KSP.

Edited by Zorg

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I just opened my fresh 1.8 install.

I don't have any 1.8, why would I, 1.7.3 works very nice and smooth for me ;) 
Ol' me sticks with stuff that just works (probably an Aspie thingy, hehe. In that context, KSP itself - Exploration, going to NEW places, is already a challenge. Took me two years to finally visit all CBs)

Perhaps its module manager?

Check together with @sarbian then I'd suggest?

I dont know enough about the guts of the game to speculate further. 

It's a mouse, not an elephant, a minor inconvenience, no big deal. Playing w/o RP though, now that would be a true bummer! :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

I don't have any 1.8, why would I, 1.7.3 works very nice and smooth for me ;) 
Ol' me sticks with stuff that just works (probably an Aspie thingy, hehe)

Check together with @sarbian then I'd suggest?

It's a mouse, not an elephant, a minor inconvenience, no big deal. Playing w/o RP though, now that would be a true bummer! :) 

I just edited my post. Please see above. Its definitely not MM.

I'll be honest this seems to be the case in 1.7.3 as well. I never noticed as I rarely zoom out with my engine firing. :P For me personally this "bug" is a non issue. I'm not pursuing this any further.

Edited by Zorg

Ohkay... now it gets truly interesting (I'm kind of a terrier regarding such issues, guess that's why boss still keeps me around).

Now, how can we isolate the cause of that bug?

Wish I could do any programming, but my skills there are VERY limited, I can only do some scripting. But maybe I can do some testing, just give me the word, ok?

But again: it's a mouse, not an elephant.

EDIT: I still think it's a good idea to contact @sarbian, he's not only the author of MM but one of the people who has a deep knowledge about KSP works internally.

Edited by VoidSquid

Just now, VoidSquid said:

Ohkay... now it gets truly interesting (I'm kind of a terrier regarding such issues, guess that's why boss still keeps me around).

Now, how can we isolate the cause of that bug?

Wish I could do any programming, but my skills there are VERY limited, I can only do some scripting. But maybe I can do some testing, just give me the word, ok?

But again: it's a mouse, not an elephant.

Like I said, its nothing to do with realplume itself so Im not interested in pursuing this further here. Technically it does affect realplume but in a very low impact way.

A mod like tantares installed on an otherwise bone stock install has the same issue. So if you're interested in pursuing this I would go to the support forums or something. I dont use this forum outside of the addon dev and release forums so I dont even know the structure of the rest of the place :P

11 minutes ago, Zorg said:

So if you're interested in pursuing this

Nah, mouse, not elephant :) 

Just let me know if I can help where ever, and if not, good as well :) 

Question: RP Stock Configs should be independent of KSP and RP version, right?

As I said, I'll definitely stay with 1.7.3 for a good while.

EDIT: thanks again to @DrKoz for testing and the new results :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

32 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Question: RP Stock Configs should be independent of KSP and RP version, right?

It is dependant on realplume version to the extent that configs using newly added plumes obviously wont work without a version of realplume core that contains the plume in question. Most stock engines (without restock) therefore are quite resilient as they all still use old plumes although the stock NERV now has a new one as part of the special handling required to deal with Kerbal Atomics multi mode patching (long story, if you're curious, check the Kerbal Atomics thread).

RealPlume itself is also fairly resilient to KSP version though. So long as MM is working properly and KSP hasnt made big changes to how effects are handled it will keep chugging along. Smokescreen being a plugin of course can be subject to issues but so far it seems ok on 1.8

Edited by Zorg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.