[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

On 10/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, Zorg said:

The question really is if Smokescreen 2.8.5 or newer is compatible. Smokescreen 2.8.6 is the last version of Smokescreen compatible with pre KSP 1.8 versions.

Not that I tested extensively, just a quick look to see if plumes appear. But from what I can tell RealPlume 13.0.0 is fine on KSP 1.4.5 and KSP 1.6.1 if you use Smokescreen 2.8.6 (and of course a version of Module Manager compatible with that KSP version).

Excellent! 
Question about Editing plumes: If I add a aphaMult to a plume config, it stays 1 when I load it in KSP. Do I have to Edit the plume config using MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST?
I could also use a good guide to editing the plume code itself, I tried a number of times to edit sizeClamp  and AlphaMult using a config, it just didnt change.

Code:

Spoiler

@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-J-2X]:NEEDS[RealPlume&!RealismOverhaul]:BEFORE[RealPlume]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE
        transformName = J-2X-ThrustTransform
	emissionMult = 3
        // Energy, AlphaMult, and EmissionMult have no effect on the plume, just size and posistion
		energy = 2
        speed = 1
	alphaMult = 2

plumePosition = 0,0,2.1
	plumeScale = 0.8
	plume2Scale = 2

corePosition = 0,0,2.1
	coreScale = 1.7

}
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
        	%powerEffectName = Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE
	}
}

// Is this just wrong? or is it right
@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-J-2X]:NEEDS[RealPlume&!RealismOverhaul]:AFTER[zzzRealPlume]
{
	@EFFECTS
    	{
        	@Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE
        	{
				@MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST[Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE-plume]
				{
					// Trying to edit SizeClamp on this plume, which at defualt is 50
					sizeClamp = 99
				}
			@MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST[Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE-plume2]
			{
				// Same as the above, trying to edit the SizeClamp and AlphaMult
				sizeClamp = 99
				alphaMult = 4
			}
		}
	}
}

Screenshots of results, Tried consulting the ksp.log and MMpatch logs for any errors, there were none.

Spoiler

Components of the plume:

Core code
fmPyy3P.png

Plume 1 Code
lXUb0Mj.png

Plume 2 Code 
3yF3Kaq.png

Results

Desired result
FjYqZ1D.png

Actual results without SmokeScreen plume Tuning
Quite UglyfXkMXxy.png%C2%A0

Edited by IronKerbal
Fixed images

42 minutes ago, IronKerbal said:

Question about Editing plumes: If I add a aphaMult to a plume config, it stays 1 when I load it in KSP. Do I have to Edit the plume config using MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST?
I could also use a good guide to editing the plume code itself, I tried a number of times to edit sizeClamp  and AlphaMult using a config, it just didnt change.

So alphaMult  looks like its appearing for you though? Do note that the core effect does not pick up the alphaMult parameter, this was deliberate. The idea being giving the option to let players control the intensity of the actual plume but keep the engine glow consistent.

Looks like I forgot to add emissionMult. Will add that in for todays update. Now that we have alphaMult though, its probably more useful to control the intensity of the plume using that instead.

speed and energy are indeed not supported on that particular plume. I'll look at adding it. But that was something I originally created as a bespoke plume for CryoEngines, distributed within CE itself. This is a port of it. Will have to check and see if it responds well to speed and energy but IMO especially for a vacuum plume you dont want to mess around with that too much as it can change the intended shape quite a bit. 

Apologies for the inconsistency in this stuff but a lot of what I added since I took over were designed as bespoke plumes to be carried within the mod itself such as BDB and CryoEngines. So they didnt necessarily all follow the existing realplume conventions. I've been trying to normalise this.

Most of your MM syntax for your patches look correct, however there is a big issue. when editing individual keys you need to use an @ or % . just writing sizeClamp would insert a second sizeClamp.  (maybe its somewhere at the bottom)

@ modifies existing key and % modifies a key if it exists or creates it if it doesnt. iirc smokescreen does not like it when two alphaMult keys are specificied outside of a curve. Just add a % before those

You may also find Hydrolox_UpperBlue, based on plume party effects originally used for BDB rather than CryoEngines, a bit easier to work with.

I'll try and get around to documenting all this a bit better but just too busy right now! 

Edited by Zorg

Hmm I've decided some of the new added plumes are best served by not adding an emissionMult. However I will make sure all relevant effects have an alphaMult that can be picked up in the PLUME node. If the value is not specified in PLUME it will default to 1.

historically emission was the only way to control intensity. Higher emission values however came at the expense of performance and lower values can make the plume look odd as not enough particles are emitted to make the intended effect. alphaMult lets you control the transparency of the plume without affecting the number of particles. 

Edited by Zorg

UPDATE

RealPlume v13.0.1 and RealPlume-Stock v2.0.1 have been tested and found working in KSP 1.7.3, 1.6.1 and 1.4.5

However Smokescreen (v2.8.7) and Module Manager (4.1.0) ONLY WORKS with KSP 1.8 and newer.

The github download link has two zips, one with 1.8 dependencies, and one with backwards compatible dependencies.

Spacedock only has 1.8 dependencies so if you download from there, please download Smokescreen 2.8.6 and Module Manager 4.0.3 separately.

CKAN installations should be fine, CKAN should automatically install the correct versions of the dependencies for your KSP version

RealPlume v2.0.1

Updates

- Update .version file
- Update bundled RealPlume to v13.0.1

Fixes

- set plumes using cryogenic_upperBlue_CE to default emission mult

RealPlume v13.0.1

Fixes

- path fixes for Kerolox_lowerNk33
- change some start up sounds
- add emissionMult to cryogenic_upperBlue_ce
- add missing alphaMult and saturationMult to cryoengines derived plumes where relevant
- tweak shock cones on cryogenic_lowerRed_ce
- change running sounds for methalox plumes
- correct float curve errors

DOWNLOAD [Github]

Edited by Zorg

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hmm I've decided some of the new added plumes are best served by not adding an emissionMult. However I will make sure all relevant effects have an alphaMult that can be picked up in the PLUME node. If the value is not specified in PLUME it will default to 1.

historically emission was the only way to control intensity. Higher emission values however came at the expense of performance and lower values can make the plume look odd as not enough particles are emitted to make the intended effect. alphaMult lets you control the transparency of the plume without affecting the number of particles. 

I have a Beefy PC, Is there a way to edit EmissionMult if wanted?

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

I'll try and get around to documenting all this a bit better but just too busy right now! 

Cool!

Just now, IronKerbal said:

I have a Beefy PC, Is there a way to edit EmissionMult if wanted?

with a handful exceptions most plumes will respond to emissionMult in the PLUME node. 

If you really really want to edit emission mult on the plumes that dont, you can do the same as what you did for sizeClamp but like @emissionMult = 

Again even putting aside performance concerns, I generally dont recommend bumping emission up too high. If you do push ahead, its a good idea to test in night and daylight conditions as well as in an engine cluster. KSP particles are additive, so the light form surrounding plumes and the environment are added together. Once of my goals (ongoing) is to try to reduce the big whiteout blob that happens for many plumes when clustered during expansion.

You can always see what parameters a plume effect node supports by looking inside the prefabs inside 000_Generic_Plumes.

Spoiler

MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST
            {
                //Get the inputs from the other config.
                transformName = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/transformName$
                localRotation = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/localRotation$
                localPosition = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/fumePosition$
                fixedScale    = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/fumeScale$
                energy        = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/energy$
                speed         = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/speed$
                emissionMult  = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/emissionMult$
                alphaMult     = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/alphaMult$
                saturationMult  = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/saturationMult$
                //
                name = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/plumeIdentifier$-fume
                modelName = RealPlume/Jade_FX/Engines/Hypergolic/VacFizzleFumeBlue
                sizeClamp = 50

---------snip------------

}

Basically all of those parameters above name can be set within PLUME. If not specified, they go to  a default value.

21 hours ago, Zorg said:

You can always see what parameters a plume effect node supports by looking inside the prefabs inside 000_Generic_Plumes.

Using that Method and Applying the corrected MM patch, It worked for the emissionMult. If the energy Parameter is not supported in a plume, could you technically add the Energy paramter to a plume?

Spoiler

{
	@EFFECTS
    	{
        	@Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE
        	{
			@MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST[Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE-core]
			{
				%sizeClamp = 99
				%emissionMult = 2
				%energy = 2
				%alphaMult = 1.5
				// Add this to a 000_GENERIC_PLUME?
				%energy = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/energy$
			}

}
	}
}	

46 minutes ago, IronKerbal said:

Using that Method and Applying the corrected MM patch, It worked for the emissionMult. If the energy Parameter is not supported in a plume, could you technically add the Energy paramter to a plume?

Hide contents

{
	@EFFECTS
    	{
        	@Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE
        	{
			@MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST[Cryogenic_UpperBlue_CE-core]
			{
				%sizeClamp = 99
				%emissionMult = 2
				%energy = 2
				%alphaMult = 1.5
				// Add this to a 000_GENERIC_PLUME?
				%energy = #$/PLUME[Hydrolox_UpperBlue]:HAS[~processed[*]]/energy$
			}

}
	}
}	

Yes that would work for a global energy setting. (which will multiply the energy curve)

I'm getting Some MM Errors related to RealPlume/000_GENERIC_PLUMES/Cryogenic_OrangeVernier

MM Error Log

Spoiler

[WRN 21:31:59.557] Can't find nodeType:CryoEnginesPlume
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/startup$       0
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/flameout$     0.0
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/ignition$     0.6
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/deepThrottle$ 0.9
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/maxThrottle$  2.5
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/startup$      0.5
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/flameout$     0.5
[ERR 21:31:59.557] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/ignition$     0.6
[WRN 21:31:59.558] Can't find nodeType:CryoEnginesPlume
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/deepThrottle$ 0.9
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key power = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/PowerKeys/maxThrottle$  1.2
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key4$ 1
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key5$ 0.7
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key0$ 0
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key1$ 1.5
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key2$ 5
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key3$ 10
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key4$ 10
[ERR 21:31:59.558] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key density = #$@CryoEnginesPlume/atmosphereKeys/key5$ 15

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I really need to stop doing this ;.;

That was really fast... I thought I would have to wait for 8h or so, But your reply came in 20 min?? :huh:

I would Like to Thank you for your time commitment and and Immense help you have given me :D
This mod is just amazing in all respects!!

Edited by IronKerbal

2 minutes ago, IronKerbal said:

I would Like to Thank you for your time commitment and and Immense help you have given me :D
This mod is just amazing!

Thanks :) . I mean I need to stop making dumb mistakes like that. (yet another bad copy paste)

Edited by Zorg

@ZorgCould you Explain this part of the code?

Code

Spoiler

xyForce
              {
              density = 1 0
              density = 0 0
              }
              speed
              {
              density = 0.7 1.5
              density = 0.52 1.5
              density = 0.19 1
              density = 0.07 1
              density = 0.045 1
              density = 0.02 0.7

power = 0.1      0.7
              power = 0.2  0.8
              power = 1.0   1.0

}
              logGrow
              {
              density = 0.7 0
              density = 0.52 1
              density = 0.19 4
              density = 0.07 15
              density = 0.045 15
              density = 0.02 30
              }
              zForce
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.52 1.01
              density = 0.19 1.02
              density = 0.07 1.03
              density = 0.045 1.04
              density = 0.02 1
              }
              linGrow
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.52 1
              density = 0.19 4
              density = 0.07 5
              density = 0.045 8
              density = 0.02 6
              }
              energy
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.07 1
              density = 0.045 1
              density = 0.02 0.5
              }
              emission
              {
              density = 0.7 2
              density = 0.52 1.5
              density = 0.19 0.5
              density = 0.07 0.5
              density = 0.045 0.5
              density = 0.02 0.5

power = 0.0      0
              power = 0.001     0
              power = 0.1     0.6
              power = 0.2 0.9
              power = 1.0  1.5
              }
              offset
              {
              density = 0.7 0
              density = 0.52 0
              density = 0.19 0
              density = 0.07 0
              density = 0.045 0
              density = 0.02 0.3
              }

Edited by IronKerbal

4 hours ago, IronKerbal said:

@ZorgCould you Explain this part of the code?

Code

Hide contents

xyForce
              {
              density = 1 0
              density = 0 0
              }
              speed
              {
              density = 0.7 1.5
              density = 0.52 1.5
              density = 0.19 1
              density = 0.07 1
              density = 0.045 1
              density = 0.02 0.7

power = 0.1      0.7
              power = 0.2  0.8
              power = 1.0   1.0

}
              logGrow
              {
              density = 0.7 0
              density = 0.52 1
              density = 0.19 4
              density = 0.07 15
              density = 0.045 15
              density = 0.02 30
              }
              zForce
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.52 1.01
              density = 0.19 1.02
              density = 0.07 1.03
              density = 0.045 1.04
              density = 0.02 1
              }
              linGrow
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.52 1
              density = 0.19 4
              density = 0.07 5
              density = 0.045 8
              density = 0.02 6
              }
              energy
              {
              density = 0.7 1
              density = 0.07 1
              density = 0.045 1
              density = 0.02 0.5
              }
              emission
              {
              density = 0.7 2
              density = 0.52 1.5
              density = 0.19 0.5
              density = 0.07 0.5
              density = 0.045 0.5
              density = 0.02 0.5

power = 0.0      0
              power = 0.001     0
              power = 0.1     0.6
              power = 0.2 0.9
              power = 1.0  1.5
              }
              offset
              {
              density = 0.7 0
              density = 0.52 0
              density = 0.19 0
              density = 0.07 0
              density = 0.045 0
              density = 0.02 0.3
              }

which plume is this?

You can find some info on each parameter on the smokescreen page. Its pretty good!

xyForce could just be set to 0 instead of a curve I guess. Basically to stop horizontal velocity.

The density curves set the parameter relative to atmo density. Basically you want no expansion from 1.0 to 0.7, then very slight from 0.7 to 0.52, should be noticeable at 0.19 and plume should be at max expansion between 0.07 and 0.045.

Then shrinks to vacuum shape around 0.02-0.0

zForce is not something I use a lot anymore, most appearances in my plumes are from early development where I copied existing realplume configs and modified them. not 100% sure about its significane but it grows the vertical. Tiny changes can be quite significant. Its probably better to just use speed instead.

linGrow and logGrow are very important.

LinGrow is linear growth. If you had no other growth effects and applied linGrow it would expand in a cone shape.

logGrow is logarithmic growth. It forms a parabolic shape. ie It grows outwards quite fast and then slows down. This is what you would expect for a normal plume shape.

You have to use both together to make a nice plume, messing around you will get a feel for it. keep in mind small negative values can also be used to pinch in an effect like the sea level look of a vacuum plume. Dont over do it or it will pinch in and then expand again after than :P

speed is particle velocity and energy is the lifetime. these are the usual stock parameters.

offset allows you to change the positition of an effect on top of the localPosition. It also allows you to move it according to an input curve like atmo or even throttle (power).

if you're trying to make a plume from scratch I suggest setting it up with no parameters except global energy and speed.

Then set up speed, energy and emission against power (for throttle response).

Thenwork on setting up growth using linGrow and logGrow. 

and once you feel you're getting there can introduce a curve for randConeEmit maybe to make the plume look a bit more energetic while expanding (if needed).

You can do a pretty decent job just with those.

Once you have the shape you can control the intensity with emission and alphaMult curves against density. I also feel I need to use saturationMult against density a bit more. Basically make the plume not just fainter but also less colourful when expanded. Dont want to turn everything white but a little bit of a colour change might be a nice touch.

Spoiler

You can see the offset being used to move plume segments with throttle in the new methalox_lowerShock plume for instance. I had an incident recently that made me suspect offset might be a bit finicky if the model has been rescaled. Luckily not many plume use it but it may mean having to use edits in FOR[zzRealPlume] to adjust offsets when applying to rescaled models. not sure about this.

Edited by Zorg

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, stammu said:

Idk if this is the correct place to ask but some of my restock engines appear to be burning/having a plume even when they are completely shutdown,i reinstalled my game downloaded the latest versions of both restock+real plume and the problem still exists any help kind of help is appreciated <3  https://imgur.com/Lt90ZKA

It is indeed the correct place. I know whats going on here, its caused by a change in the way ReStock handles its module manager patches. The fix for RealPlume to adapt is simple and coming tomorrow along with support for newly added parts.

20 minutes ago, Zorg said:

It is indeed the correct place. I know whats going on here, its caused by a change in the way ReStock handles its module manager patches. The fix for RealPlume to adapt is simple and coming tomorrow along with support for newly added parts.

Thank you so much!

I'm seeing a bug with realplume and restock in ksp version 1.8.1. Several engines will always show the plume even if the engine isn't activated and even when throttle is set to 0. So far I have observed this on the Terrier, Poodle, and Mainsail. I'm not sure whats going on there. It's beautiful, but it just looks wrong to have the second stage engine firing at the same time as the first stage.   

2 minutes ago, FlyingSpaceFrog said:

I'm seeing a bug with realplume and restock in ksp version 1.8.1. Several engines will always show the plume even if the engine isn't activated and even when throttle is set to 0. So far I have observed this on the Terrier, Poodle, and Mainsail. I'm not sure whats going on there. It's beautiful, but it just looks wrong to have the second stage engine firing at the same time as the first stage.   

Literally just answered above. :P

UPDATE

RealPlume v13.1.0 and RealPlume-Stock v3.0.0 have been tested and found working in KSP 1.7.3, 1.6.1 and 1.4.5

However Smokescreen (v2.8.7) and Module Manager (4.1.0) ONLY WORKS with KSP 1.8.0 and newer.

The github download link has two zips, one with 1.8 dependencies, and one with backwards compatible dependencies.

Spacedock only has 1.8 dependencies so if you download from there, please download Smokescreen 2.8.6 and Module Manager 4.0.3 separately.

CKAN installations should be fine, CKAN should automatically install the correct versions of the dependencies for your KSP version

RealPlume-Stock v3.0.0

New

• Support for new ReStock Making Engines and new ReStock+ engines

Updates

• Update .version file
  • Update bundled RealPlume to v13.1.0
  • Revamp ReStock kerolox plumes with new ones added in RealPlume v13.1.0
  • Revamp Tantares LV kerolox plumes with new ones added in RealPlume v13.1.0
  • New plume for ReStock Rhino

Fixes

• Update ReStock patches to handle new MM patch order in ReStock
  • ReStock NERV plume tweak

RealPlume v13.1.0

• Move obsolete plumes to deprecated folder (has no impact on patches, they are not being removed, this is just to make it more obvious what is current for anyone who checks the generic plumes folder).
  • Upload new FX 
  • 2 new kerolox sea level plumes to supersede all previous ones.
  • 1 new kerolox vacuum plume to supersede all previous ones.

DOWNLOAD [ Github]

The big thing for this update is 3 new kerolox plumes, 1 vac and 2 sea level. I will be using these 3 for all kerolox configs going forward and I hope anyone else using RP will do the same for configs being made outside of RealPlume stock. It annoys me greatly that I didnt manage to make something like this earlier but this is IMO better than the kerolox plumes I added in v 12.0.0

All the old kerolox plumes (both legacy and the ones I added in 12.0.0) have been moved to a deprecated folder as mentioned above. But this is just for clarity. It doesnt affect the patches and I have no intention of deleting them.

The key features of these 3 new plumes are:

1. they are much more transparent when they start expanding so they look better when clustered. Still, because KSPs particle system is additive, there will come a point where it will all turn into a bright blob if you use a lot of engines on a stage but this is more manageable than before.

2. They turn reddish orange when expansion begins just like a real kerolox plume

3. They turn blueish purple in the upper reaches of the atmosphere again like a real kerolox plume.

Here is a little test video I made (I originally designed these for BDB as seen on this Thor LR79 but I am up-streaming them into realplume :) ) Note that the steep trajectory means the transitions are happening quicker than they would in a normal ascent. Anyway hopefully this is the final say on kerolox plumes in RealPlume for now. Further changes if any should just be small tweaks to these.

eIFn4Gal.png\

6UfNxM1l.jpg

PHPfvTCl.png

TL4xwhfl.png

Edited by Zorg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.