[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

My issue is the stock Nerv's show constant plume even when deactivated ...

How do I fix this?

I will need some information before I could say anything:

1) Which version of RealPlume-stock

2) which version of KSP

3) Which mods you have installed (full list or screenshot of your gamedata folder)

4) Your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file (this file is located in Kerbal Space Program/GameData)

13 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Also,

I can confirm that removing "Real Plume" via CKAN did not resolve the issue so I'm wondering if it's a file somewhere for these particular engines that is getting modified or left behind upon uninstall...

Im not sure whats going on yet. Its possible PlumeParty configs are causing a problem. Could you go to PlumeParty/Configs and delete the contents of that folder? Perhaps that might fix it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I tried to use Rapier with RealPlume, but every single Rapier engine reduces my framerate by 15-20. It doesn't matter if the engine is running and in which mode. If the Rapier is attached to the craft (or a craft with a Rapier is nearby), every single Rapier engine just steals 20 fps.

I don't even know if this is 1.11 issue, I hardly ever used Rapiers before.

Tried to reduce particle count in mod menu - didn't affect anything.

I really don't want to disable RealPlume when I'm flying my spaceplane, cause the stock engine effects... I don't want to look at them either.

I've checked - doesn't seem like any other engine has that issue for me.

I've disabled all other mods except ModuleManager, Real Plume, Real Plume - Stock configs and SmokeScreen.

Thank you.

14 hours ago, Vano47 said:

Hi. I tried to use Rapier with RealPlume, but every single Rapier engine reduces my framerate by 15-20. It doesn't matter if the engine is running and in which mode. If the Rapier is attached to the craft (or a craft with a Rapier is nearby), every single Rapier engine just steals 20 fps.

I don't even know if this is 1.11 issue, I hardly ever used Rapiers before.

Tried to reduce particle count in mod menu - didn't affect anything.

I really don't want to disable RealPlume when I'm flying my spaceplane, cause the stock engine effects... I don't want to look at them either.

I've checked - doesn't seem like any other engine has that issue for me.

I've disabled all other mods except ModuleManager, Real Plume, Real Plume - Stock configs and SmokeScreen.

Thank you.

So the Rapier has a rather complex plume that looks very nice which was submitted kindly by Scialytic. Unfortunately it seems it have some performance issues for some people, I am not too familiar with the details of that plume so I dont really know how to optimise it even if possible.

In the next update I will include the old version as an option in the files that people can use instead if they have trouble. (I meant to do this earlier, but forgot).

Until then you could go to RealPlume-stock/Squad or RealPlume-stock/ReStock (if you use RS), delete Rapier.cfg and replace with a new cfg containing this

stock

@PART[RAPIER]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen,!ReStock] // CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Turbojet
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.3
        fixedScale = 0.7
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 1
        emissionMult = 1.0
    }
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hypergolic-Lower
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
        flarePosition = 0,0,0.4
        plumeScale = 0.4
        flareScale = 0.6
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
        emissionMult = 1.0
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],0
    {
        %powerEffectName = Turbojet
        %spoolEffectName = Turbojet-Spool
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],1
    {
        %powerEffectName = Hypergolic-Lower
    }
}

restock

@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[ReStock]:AFTER[ReStock]
{
  !EFFECTS {}
}
@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[zRealPlume,SmokeScreen,ReStock] // CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Turbojet
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,-0.4
        fixedScale = 0.7
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 1
        emissionMult = 1.0
    }
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hypergolic-Lower
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,0.3
        plumeScale = 0.4
        flareScale = 0.4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
        emissionMult = 1.0
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],0
    {
        %powerEffectName = Turbojet
        %spoolEffectName = Turbojet-Spool
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],1
    {
        %powerEffectName = Hypergolic-Lower
    }
}

Edited by Zorg

Hey Zorg. I've been having a look at your WIP waterfall plumes. They look really nice, and I especially like the trick you use to extend the cylinders very far and set the falloff high. You get really realistic looking vac plumes without many mesh artifacts. I'll be copying that strategy :-)

Also: I noticed that you don't do much with the insides of the engine bells (that I've noticed)
They look a bit strange without any exhaust inside them. So I've been experimenting how to make them look better. This is what I came up with for the hydrolox Rhino:

unknown.png

I'm using a cylinder that "hugs" the inside engine bell wall for the blue light. And for the flame core I'm actually using a simple plume, but with the cylinder set to zero brightness, and squeezed all the way inside the bell. This way, the planes get very close together, and with the right falloff settings and brightness, you can make it look very "3D". It gives the illusion of a very hot gas coming out of the combustion chamber.
How do you like it? Spot anything unrealistic here? Looking for some feedback.

Edited by Knight of St John

1 hour ago, Knight of St John said:

Hey Zorg. I've been having a look at your WIP waterfall plumes. They look really nice, and I especially like the trick you use to extend the cylinders very far and set the falloff high. You get really realistic looking vac plumes without many mesh artifacts. I'll be copying that strategy :-)

Also: I noticed that you don't do much with the insides of the engine bells (that I've noticed)
They look a bit strange without any exhaust inside them. So I've been experimenting how to make them look better. This is what I came up with for the hydrolox Rhino:

I'm using a cylinder that "hugs" the inside engine bell wall for the blue light. And for the flame core I'm actually using a simple plume, but with the cylinder set to zero brightness, and squeezed all the way inside the bell. This way, the planes get very close together, and with the right falloff settings and brightness, you can make it look very "3D". It gives the illusion of a very hot gas coming out of the combustion chamber.
How do you like it? Spot anything unrealistic here? Looking for some feedback.

I think that looks quite good! Although I think this discussion would be better suited to the waterfall thread :). Even though I have less need for filling out the engine bell I am also looking at a similar tactic in order to make my templates more suitable for general use. Nice to see we're thinking along similar lines.

So I've got a question. How does Realplume assign the custom rocket sounds to the different engines? I've looked in the Realplume-Stock folder, and I couldn't find any config files that added sound effects to engines.
I'm asking because I'd like to give the same sounds to the same engines in my StockWaterfallEffects mod.

29 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

So I've got a question. How does Realplume assign the custom rocket sounds to the different engines? I've looked in the Realplume-Stock folder, and I couldn't find any config files that added sound effects to engines.
I'm asking because I'd like to give the same sounds to the same engines in my StockWaterfallEffects mod.

Realplume assigns sounds as part of its template system. It works by looking for a PLUME node in which the user defines basic plume parameters and it uses a rather complex set of MM patches to assign the actual plume into the EFFECTS node along with running sounds, engage, disengage etc. None of this is really relevant to you though.

In the case of Waterfall all of this is assigned by the user in the engine config itself to the EFFECTS node (which is now relegated to just doing the sounds) rather than than through a template.

For example

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/waterfall-experimental/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/WaterfallFX/AtlasV.cfg

In the case of BDB those configs refer to the sounds folder in BDB itself. However all of the RealPlume sounds are in fact available in Waterfall so you just need to point the line towards the relevant sound you want. 

https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/Waterfall/tree/master/GameData/Waterfall/Sounds/KW

3 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Realplume assigns sounds as part of its template system. It works by looking for a PLUME node in which the user defines basic plume parameters and it uses a rather complex set of MM patches to assign the actual plume into the EFFECTS node along with running sounds, engage, disengage etc. None of this is really relevant to you though.

In the case of Waterfall all of this is assigned by the user in the engine config itself to the EFFECTS node (which is now relegated to just doing the sounds) rather than than through a template.

For example

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/waterfall-experimental/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/WaterfallFX/AtlasV.cfg

In the case of BDB those configs refer to the sounds folder in BDB itself. However all of the RealPlume sounds are in fact available in Waterfall so you just need to point the line towards the relevant sound you want. 

https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/Waterfall/tree/master/GameData/Waterfall/Sounds/KW

Right. The thing is, isn't there a way for me to view the sounds that realplume uses? Otherwise, I'd need to go through all the engines in-game and listen to the effects that realplume applied to them, and then try to match this manually.

Just now, Knight of St John said:

Right. The thing is, isn't there a way for me to view the sounds that realplume uses? Otherwise, I'd need to go through all the engines in-game and listen to the effects that realplume applied to them, and then try to match this manually.

They're .ogg files, an open source audio format. Most audio players should be able to just play them.

47 minutes ago, Zorg said:

They're .ogg files, an open source audio format. Most audio players should be able to just play them.

Haha, I know :-)
That's not what I meant. What I meant is I don't know what sounds are linked to what engines. And often the sounds are mixed as well. So It'll be a nuisance for me to figure this out by listening instead of finding the configurations somewhere in the mod folder.
But looks like that is my fate anyways.

Edited by Knight of St John

2 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

Haha, I know :-)
That's not what I meant. What I meant is I don't know what sounds are linked to what engines. And often the sounds are mixed as well. So It'll be a nuisance for me to figure this out by listening instead of finding the configurations somewhere in the mod folder.
But looks like that is my fate anyways.

Theres only like 4 running sounds really (most of the clips are startup sounds). I am trying to learn some audio editing to make my own loops (again if I get decent results I will submit to waterfall as well as realplume) but in the meantime, you have an SRB one, soundaltloop2 which is used for kero and other "hard running" engines and then soundaltloop which is used for other things like cryo, some hypergols, many upper stages. Then theres soundSPSloop for like pressure fed engines.

I would suggest using your discretion and choosing what seems best for each engine. The good thing about WF is that the sound is not linked to a template so its easier to mix and match by feel instead of having to patch things in and out after the fact.

You can look at each RealPlume template here 

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/tree/master/GameData/RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes

You will find an audio node towards the bottom of each prefab with the running sound targetted in the key "clip"

AUDIO
            {
              name = #$/PLUME[Cryogenic_VernierOrange]:HAS[~processed[*]]/plumeIdentifier$-audio
              channel = Ship
              clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_altloop

volume = 0.0   0.0
              volume = #1.0 $/PLUME[Cryogenic_VernierOrange]:HAS[~processed[*]]/plumeScale$
              @volume,1[1, ] *= 0.2

pitch = 0.0 1.0
              pitch = 1.0 1.0

loop = true
            }

Edited by Zorg

3 minutes ago, Zorg said:

You can look at each RealPlume template here 

Oh i see now, so that's where they are. Been looking all over where they were defined. thanks for your help!

Also, once I get a decent amount of engines done, would it be possible to let my mod override realplume for engines where I defined an effect, just like you did for ReStock?

31 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

Also, once I get a decent amount of engines done, would it be possible to let my mod override realplume for engines where I defined an effect, just like you did for ReStock?

yes just let me know when its released, it would be relatively simple to do.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

RealPlume-Stock v4.0.6

Optional old RAPIER plume.

• new RAPIER plume is known to impose performance issues on some lower end machines. User can go to RealPlume-Stock/Squad or RealPlume-Stock/ReStock and rename the extension of RAPIER_OLD.txt to .cfg
  • User must also delete or disable the existing RAPIER.cfg

Deconflicts with Waterfall for

• StockWaterfallEffects
  • Luciole
  • Knes
  • Commonwealth Rocketry Establishment

Update .version file

DOWNLOAD [Github]

Download [spacedock]

RealPlume v13.3.2 (no change)

Edited by Zorg

• 3 weeks later...

Been searching in this topic for a good bit now looking for the info. Sorry if its a dead horse so to speak. What about ReStock on those deconflict updates? Im using the Waterfall version for Restock.

Edited by Motokid600

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Been searching in this topic for a good bit now looking for the info. Sorry if its a dead horse so to speak. What about ReStock on those deconflict updates? Im using the Waterfall version for Restock.

It just means that if waterfall is installed, and the engines in a mod have waterfall configs, the realplumes won't be used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.