[KSP1.12.x] RealPlume - Stock v4.0.8 & RealPlume v13.3.2 [25/JUN/2021]

Zorg

3 hours ago, Oreak said:

Hello, thank you for the work you’ve done on Realplume. The result looks really nice, given what you’ve already done on BDB. I’d like to know if you also changed the plumes on the solid rocket boosters on reDirect? Also, I’d like to know what are the next mods that will be compatilble with real plume (Tantares?, ...) . 

Once again, thank you for tour amazing work !

Thanks :) About ReDirect I havent managed to come up with a decent new solid rocket plume as mentioned in the discussion a few posts above. The old solid realplumes look amazing in my opinion, they just have a big performance impact. So Ive left the solid plumes on reDirect alone.

As for whats next, Tantares is already compatible but the compatibility files are held within Tantares. Beale has agreed to remove them and for me to support it from the RealPlume-stock side when he publishes the next maintenance release (he's on a bit of break as mentioned on his thread so this will happen when he has some time to do the next release).

This would make it easier for me to tinker and add support that way. I will bring along all the existing configs and slowly convert them to the new plumes and theres a few missing engines to add too. But this will take some time as I'm a bit busy with other stuff at the moment. Apart from that I am always open to pull requests from other users to add support to more stuff.

I have started on this though. There is a dedicated Tantares support branch on github. If you felt like trying it out (only Soyuz R7 and Proton have new plumes done for now) you can grab the compatibility files from there and delete the ones included in Tantares. If you do this you should only grab the Tantares folders from there as its out of sync and a little behind the Master and main Development branch.

Tantares spacecraft (nothings changed here yet ) https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/TantaresSupport/GameData/RealPlume-Stock/Tantares

Tantares LV: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/TantaresSupport/GameData/RealPlume-Stock/TantaresLV

xStclDnl.png

bchfNKHl.png

1PKW4gml.png

1EushJ7l.png

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Goody1981 said:

Hi Zorg - another question from me sorry. Still playing with Making History and Restock... I’m not seeing a new plume on the Wolfhound. It just looks like the stock plume.

Hehe yes. In v1.4 I added new plumes for the restock wolfhound. In v1.5 I disabled it because the restock wolfhound is actually only in the restock github development. Its not in the current full release but I had the git development version of ReStock installed and forgot about it when doing the configs.

If people tried using it with the current release of ReStock with those configs it breaks the plume so I disabled it in v1.5. So once that stuff is fully released I will add back the plume.

EDIT: Oh ok you're seeing the stock plume. I should have removed the NEEDS:[!ReStock] from the stock patches too until the restock stuff is added. I'll do that in the upcoming bugfix release

EDIT2: I also now realise you're the same person I spoke to earlier about the wolfhound, was little early in the morning when I replied :P

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Hehe yes. In v1.4 I added new plumes for the restock wolfhound. In v1.5 I disabled it because the restock wolfhound is actually only in the restock github development. Its not in the current full release but I had the git development version of ReStock installed and forgot about it when doing the configs.

If people tried using it with the current release of ReStock with those configs it breaks the plume so I disabled it in v1.5. So once that stuff is fully released I will add back the plume.

EDIT: Oh ok you're seeing the stock plume. I should have removed the NEEDS:[!ReStock] from the stock patches too until the restock stuff is added. I'll do that in the upcoming bugfix release

EDIT2: I also now realise you're the same person I spoke to earlier about the wolfhound, was little early in the morning when I replied :P

Wonderful - thank you :) I think we spoke about the Kodiak earlier but yeah, the Making History engines. After you kindly fixed that I made a beautiful (if I do say so myself) stock Saturn V, with the Wolfhound on the service module. Went all through the launch/stage separations/TLI/LM extraction... all the way to the mun (in JNSQ too, so every stage was full of fuel, and needed to be, unlike a stock Saturn V) with lovely looking plumes - honestly they make such a difference to the game.

Then I went to make my insertion burn using the SM Wolfhound and it felt like my eyes were burning... just the stock super-pointy teardrop kind of shape... ugh haha

22 minutes ago, Goody1981 said:

Wonderful - thank you :) I think we spoke about the Kodiak earlier but yeah, the Making History engines. After you kindly fixed that I made a beautiful (if I do say so myself) stock Saturn V, with the Wolfhound on the service module. Went all through the launch/stage separations/TLI/LM extraction... all the way to the mun (in JNSQ too, so every stage was full of fuel, and needed to be, unlike a stock Saturn V) with lovely looking plumes - honestly they make such a difference to the game.

Then I went to make my insertion burn using the SM Wolfhound and it felt like my eyes were burning... just the stock super-pointy teardrop kind of shape... ugh haha

Yeah! At least with native restock effects (for parts that have been remade by ReStock) you get plumes that have a prefabricated expanded look for vacuum engines even when RP is not installed. But bone stock plumes are kinda gross. Fix is up on the dev branch.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/development

55 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Yeah! At least with native restock effects (for parts that have been remade by ReStock) you get plumes that have a prefabricated expanded look for vacuum engines even when RP is not installed. But bone stock plumes are kinda gross. Fix is up on the dev branch.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/tree/development

Legend! :) Thank you

Your helpfulness and willingness to engage would elevate this mod to my favourite of all time.. if it wasn’t already ;)

Edited by Goody1981

UPDATE: RealPlume-Stock v1.5.1

Changelog

- Updated .version file
- Special handling for Kerbal Atomics multimode patch for the stock and ReStock NERV
- remove NEEDS:!ReStock from MH engines
- Fix MM patching for plumes modified at FOR:zzRealPlume (affected some aerospike engines in stock and RLA stockalike)

No change to the bundled RealPlume. Thats still v12.1.0

DOWNLOAD (Github)

DOWNLOAD (Spacedock)

Was the NERV's effect supposed to get smaller?  I think it got smaller but I don't have the previous version installed to check now.  It's not sea level small, I was able to double check that, but it doesn't seem like it lines up with the engine bell now. 

I do want to also mention how much I like having shock diamonds in KSP, I installed it just a day or so before this recent update so I don't exactly have the old version burned into my mind:

screenshot4.png

I think when I installed "Stockalike station parts redux" it put those funny half shrouds on, but I'm pretty sure I had larger NERV plumes before.  Anything else you need to know? 

57 minutes ago, Phos said:

Was the NERV's effect supposed to get smaller?  I think it got smaller but I don't have the previous version installed to check now.  It's not sea level small, I was able to double check that, but it doesn't seem like it lines up with the engine bell now. 

Yes the new effect is smaller. Its based on the solid core plume used for "stock" Kerbal Atomics solid core nukes. The idea of the overall shape is to convey higher exhaust velocity compared to regular engines.

I'll take a look at the positioning again. But note that there are two effects, a faint main plume (that should fit the engine bell diameter) and a brighter core that emerges from the centre.

Edited by Zorg

@Phos you know what there may be room to add a bit more expansion to some of the nuclear plumes. I will take a look next time I tweak realplume core. But it wont be drastic change and the overall size will still be similar to the current one. Will just be more open at the end. Not sure when this will be though.

I took a look, the nerv config seems to be working as intended. The outer plume fits the bell and the core effect emerges from the center.

UPDATE: RealPlume-Stock v1.6.0

Wasn't planning on a new release so soon but Beale has just published an update to Tantares LV. RealPlume configs have been removed from this update of Tantares (to allow for me to support it from here) and so I decided to quickly make this new release. Essentially this adds back in the same configs that were just deleted from Tantares along with new plumes for Soyuz R7 and Proton. I will have to add missing engines and give new plumes to other engines at a later date. Will also do the same for Tantares spacecraft once an update is published for that too. 

Spacedock seems down at the moment, will upload there once its up but for now its available on Github and also CKAN (once it refreshes)

DOWNLOAD (Github)

Changelog

- Updated .version file
-  Initial support for Tantares

Poking around the Github it looks like this mod handles ReStock but I think I'm just getting the Restock effects, I THINK the NERV is working as expected but I haven't seen what it looks like with just Restock. 
screenshot9.png
screenshot8.png

First one is 5 vectors, second one is a Rhino. 

52 minutes ago, Phos said:

Poking around the Github it looks like this mod handles ReStock but I think I'm just getting the Restock effects, I THINK the NERV is working as expected but I haven't seen what it looks like with just Restock. 

Those screenshots are pretty dark so I cant tell which engines you're using. If the plumes are expanding and changing that means its working. I have added several new plumes to RealPlume some of which use effects from ReStock or nertea's other mods except they will dynamically expand as you ascend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, @Zorg, me again:

Nothing of importance, but: Bambi is very sad...

Downloaded recently this mod 

and it seems, the engines from this mod don't have a RP config.

As I said, nothing important or urgent, but if you by chance find some time to add RP configs, that would be very nice :)

Thanks again for all your time and efforts, already more than I could hope for, much appreciated! :) 

3 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

As I said, nothing important or urgent, but if you by chance find some time to add RP configs, that would be very nice :)

Thanks again for all your time and efforts, already more than I could hope for, much appreciated! :) 

Hmm doesnt look like too many parts. I might be able to squeeze it in myself if no one else submits a config. Bit busy right now though since I am currently redoing all the Tantares plumes :D

Yeah, as I said, it's totally NOT important, not a request, but just a question :)

I just would like Bambi to look pretty and be happy, like her big brothers and sisters :D 

Again, thanks in advance :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

13 minutes ago, Deltac said:

For Benjee's shuttle, the OMS engines have some effect situated far away from the other effects.

The little puffs in the upper right.  Is this realplume or something else?

I was sure I fixed this issue in the last update. Will investigate tomorrow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.