Ideas on how to move a rocket

I have created a launchpad in the VAB, launched it, and moved it to a different location in the space center.  Now I want to launch rockets from it.  The only problem is that when I launch, the rocket launches from the regular launch pad so I have to move the rocket to the other pad somehow.  I have tried making many different rovers armed with claws, but none of them are very reliable and can't easily it straight up the ramp onto the secondary launch pad.  Has anyone done this before?  Would rovers work or would I need something else? 

Here is a screenshot of after the most reliable rovers moved a rocket to the launchpad:

https://imgur.com/uVetFBH

One of the two rovers is in the bottom right, Bill is standing on the ramp (to repair popped tires; I had 4), and the pad is the big thing in the middle.

Edited by RoninFrog

OK, so the easiest way to do this is, when you're ready to launch your rocket in VAB, hit load, and "Merge" your launch pad onto the bottom of your rocket. Then they'll both spawn at once and you can move both of them (Assuming it's some sort of tracked rover monstrosity).

The second easiest, but much tougher way, is to have docking ports on the nose and base of your rocket. Build your rover as a crane where the distance between your wheels is at least the same as the height of your rocket so it doesn't tip over. You'll want sort of an A-shaped rover that's very tall. Dock your rocket's nose to the center of your crane and roll it over to your launch pad until the tail docks to the launcher. Undock the rover and back off, and when you undock the rocket from the pad you're ready to launch.

I don't recommend trying to rotate the rocket at all when you move it; that's not going to generally end well. You have to move it in the same attitude it'll launch in.

This guy has a rover crane like I'm talking about, although it's modded- skip to 7:37.

Edited by dire

8 minutes ago, dire said:

OK, so the easiest way to do this is, when you're ready to launch your rocket in VAB, hit load, and "Merge" your launch pad onto the bottom of your rocket. Then they'll both spawn at once and you can move both of them (Assuming it's some sort of tracked rover monstrosity).

Would I have to make a new launchpad for each launch? (Also the launchpad has 4 vectors so it can fly - not a rover)

Then I would say, the easiest way to get the rocket on the launchpad is to have it land there. Have the crane on standby in case you miss and use the double-docking-port method.

There are also mods that let you launch rockets directly from the VAB to like Ike. Or land a special structure that builds and launches rockets.

Edited by dire

I don't think what you're looking for is possible without mods.

One option would be to use HyperEdit, which lets you land a craft at a specified latitutde/longitude.  If you plunk down your launchpad at an exact coordinate, and then plunk down your rocket on top of that (setting a bit higher altitude for setdown), that might put the rocket in the right place.  Or it might all blow up.  Amusing either way in my book. 

There's a mod for extraplanetary launchpads called... Extraplanetary Launchpads.  I haven't used it so not familiar with it; dunno if it lets you add pads on Kerbin as well.  

Sounds like KSP2 will have something closer to this feature with the colony system.

1) Have you considered launching from the runway?

Its flat surface there. Just design your pad as a subassebly, merge it under your rocket, switch editor, launch. 

2) Build rockets with empty tanks and send trucks with fuel and claw.

3) same as 1) but hack gravity (ALT-F12) and fly pad + rocket to desired position with just some Sparks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.