Island Air Zero

Pds314

The goal of this challenge is to fly a plane to the Island runway at the start of a new career mode.

No facility upgrades.
No techs/science upgrades.
No contracts.
No strategies.
No cheats.
No mods that give an advantage.

Your takeoff and landing must be horizontal. The goal is to get as close as you can to the Island runway.

Edited by Pds314

3 minutes ago, Andetch said:

Interesting. So 0 science meaning incredibly limited part choices. Interesting.

When ksp installs on my brand new laptop I just got home with I may have to try this. 

Yes. There are SIX whole parts (7 if you have MakingHistory but why anyone would use the Soviet capsule for this purpose is beyond me). None of which are wheels, decouplers, control surfaces, or liquid engines.

Edited by Pds314

So launching horizontally - I note your images don't show the craft on the runway... How did you get over the fact you have no wheels?

Okay, got over that by using goo containers as skids. But now I am coming to the conclusion that this may not be possible...

Edited by Andetch

55 minutes ago, Andetch said:

So launching horizontally - I note your images don't show the craft on the runway... How did you get over the fact you have no wheels?

Okay, got over that by using goo containers as skids. But now I am coming to the conclusion that this may not be possible...

No I used the Girder segments as skis. 80 m/s crash tolerance.

Hangar pic
N2DviOs.png

Any landing you can walk away from???

Well, it turns out I don't have screens of the launch, so maybe this is just inspirational. Proof it can be done. At least if you use more than one stage. I tailstruck quite badly due to underspeed.

GKtekGK.png

Edited by Pds314

3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Any landing you can walk away from???

Yes, how much of the craft has to survive the landing? Just the capsule?

And what is your definition of "horizontal landing"? Any landing without the help of parachutes? Is it allowed to use a parachute to slow down, if it is ditched before landing?

6 hours ago, AHHans said:

Yes, how much of the craft has to survive the landing? Just the capsule?

And what is your definition of "horizontal landing"? Any landing without the help of parachutes? Is it allowed to use a parachute to slow down, if it is ditched before landing?

Yes, although "ditching" a parachute could be fairly difficult considering you have no decouplers. You might have to cut it. I didn't specify in the OP any part survival requirements though so if your capsule survives horizintal runway landing I guess that counts.

Edited by Pds314

Something like this?

rHDnlhD.png

KSP 1.3.1, starting tech only (parts and facilities), 30 parts, under 2.9t, single engine.

EVro09Y.png

Pitching up as soon as rotation is possible to gain altitude - goal is around 5 km.

nZErRMi.png

Final approach as level as possible to slow down to safe speeds for landing.

TDm5oWe.png

Jeb is happy to report a safe landing at the island airfield, plane fully intact.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/T1-plane-A3b

On 9/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, swjr-swis said:

Something like this?

rHDnlhD.png

KSP 1.3.1, starting tech only (parts and facilities), 30 parts, under 2.9t, single engine.

EVro09Y.png

Pitching up as soon as rotation is possible to gain altitude - goal is around 5 km.

nZErRMi.png

Final approach as level as possible to slow down to safe speeds for landing.

TDm5oWe.png

Jeb is happy to report a safe landing at the island airfield, plane fully intact.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/T1-plane-A3b

Wow nice. I had no idea it could be done that elegantly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.