Beta Testing Volunteer

XLjedi

...or alpha or pre-release, or whatever you call it.

I'm happy to test my fleet of craft in your new game, or even rebuild em in your new engine if need be to help test and give feedback.  I tend to focus more on planet-based operations and flight, and using various craft in tandem to complete mission goals.  So maybe I can find some bugs that other play styles would not notice.  I mean who would ever test to see what happens when you dock a helicopter and submarine to a hydrofoil?  ...or see what happens when you try to let a rover roll out the back of a cargo plane and deploy chutes for an airdrop mission.

Aside from the above, I'm also very interested to see how user created bases might interact with one another as well as supply line management across the solar system and beyond.  Anyone can look at the stuff in my KerbalX link below which include fairly detailed craft blueprints as well as links to videos and so forth.  Would love to be involved if the opportunity exists.

3 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I'm happy to test my fleet of craft in your new game, or even rebuild em in your new engine if need be to help test and give feedback.  I tend to focus more on planet-based operations and flight, and using various craft in tandem to complete mission goals.  So maybe I can find some bugs that other play styles would not notice.  I mean who would ever test to see what happens when you dock a helicopter and submarine to a hydrofoil?  ...or see what happens when you try to let a rover roll out the back of a cargo plane and deploy chutes for an airdrop mission.

Aside from the above, I'm also very interested to see how user created bases might interact with one another as well as supply line management across the solar system and beyond.  Anyone can look at the stuff in my KerbalX link below which include fairly detailed craft blueprints as well as links to videos and so forth.  Would love to be involved if the opportunity exists.

How Generous :rolleyes:
Lol 

27 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I am only kidding around, I was saying that is is funny to see a fan of a game offer to get the game before everyone else as a beta tester. It is fine It was just funny

Yep, we all want to do so too. Because we want to play the game ASAP serve the KSP community and help hammer out bugs.

Hey we all are volunteers to be beta testers

55 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

@SpaceFace545@Xd the great@Cheif Operations Director

So post links to your hangar of craft or body of work to justify why you might be considered a beta tester. 

Maybe someone will give us a shot?  At least no one can say I never asked...

Oh I only have photos of this craft https://kerbalx.com/spaceyfacey/Solar-Flyer and that's it but, I am a real enthusiast of the game and I now everything about it.

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

So post links to your hangar of craft or body of work to justify why you might be considered a beta tester. 

You do understand that KSP 1 files and craft saves will not work in KSP 2. So that's one Beta test you need not worry about. It's not a bug either, it's a feature.

Proper Beta testing is boring, thankless work. As soon as you encounter something that goes wrong, you’re forced to replay the same scenario, again, and again, and again, and again. Until you’ve finally isolated the bug, when it arises, and what triggers it.

Unless... the motive isn’t really testing, but rather getting your hands on the software before everyone else does. Surely the KSP community wouldn’t lower itself to volunteering bug testing for that. Right? RIGHT?!

Those with a good memory will recall that Squad came with a similar program—I think it was for the pre 1.0 release. And for some reason—obviously logistical—this program was somehow limited to Steam. Oooh, the furor! My loyalty to Squad got rewarded by seeing how Steam users got to show off their early release! — there were a ton of such reactions, which left the average bystander wonder what exactly the motivation for being in the beta program was.

Now, I’m not saying any if you have other motives than true beta testing, absolutely not; but at the same time one cannot blame Star Helix for assuming a lot of beta volunteers do have an ulterior motive, and as a result the Beta program will probably require a bit more than “I volunteer and I really like the game.” Most likely, if there would be an interview round or submission process, the material for review would be less your craft files, and more a portfolio of bug reports written in the past.

30 minutes ago, Radar said:

You do understand that KSP 1 files and craft saves will not work in KSP 2. So that's one Beta test you need not worry about. It's not a bug either, it's a feature.

of course...  which is why I said I was willing to rebuild them if needed.

49 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Proper Beta testing is boring, thankless work. As soon as you encounter something that goes wrong, you’re forced to replay the same scenario, again, and again, and again, and again. Until you’ve finally isolated the bug, when it arises, and what triggers it.

Unless... the motive isn’t really testing, but rather getting your hands on the software before everyone else does. Surely the KSP community wouldn’t lower itself to volunteering bug testing for that. Right? RIGHT?!

Those with a good memory will recall that Squad came with a similar program—I think it was for the pre 1.0 release. And for some reason—obviously logistical—this program was somehow limited to Steam. Oooh, the furor! My loyalty to Squad got rewarded by seeing how Steam users got to show off their early release! — there were a ton of such reactions, which left the average bystander wonder what exactly the motivation for being in the beta program was.

Now, I’m not saying any if you have other motives than true beta testing, absolutely not; but at the same time one cannot blame Star Helix for assuming a lot of beta volunteers do have an ulterior motive, and as a result the Beta program will probably require a bit more than “I volunteer and I really like the game.” Most likely, if there would be an interview round or submission process, the material for review would be less your craft files, and more a portfolio of bug reports written in the past.

I'd be willing to sign an NDA if asked...  maybe I already signed it?  LOL

who is Star Helix?  did I miss a deleted post?

Edited by XLjedi

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Oh I only have photos of this craft https://kerbalx.com/spaceyfacey/Solar-Flyer and that's it but, I am a real enthusiast of the game and I now everything about it.

Well that's a fine craft...  2 questions though

Why did you opt for the fixed pitch prop design?  ...and under what circumstance would you want to reverse the engine rotation with action group key 1?

Unfortunately, I was not able to fly it.

Edited by XLjedi

What does the craft I have created have to do with beta testing? All I am detecting is a passive aggressive person right now who is trying to prove superiority at craft building or something, perhaps I am misreading the situation. Either way to quote myself again. 

4 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I am only kidding around, I was saying that is is funny to see a fan of a game offer to get the game before everyone else as a beta tester. It is fine It was just funny

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Yep, we all want to do so too. Because we want to play the game ASAP serve the KSP community and help hammer out bugs.

Precisely what gives this post comedy effect. 

As a note I do bit doubt your Beta Testing Abilities or something. It is just funny 

17 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What does the craft I have created have to do with beta testing? All I am detecting is a passive aggressive person right now who is trying to prove superiority at craft building or something, perhaps I am misreading the situation.

It is difficult to post something like this and say something to the effect of "really, I'm not the typical fanboy asking for early access" without coming across as an a$$.  So I get that.  If there's another channel or route I'd give it a shot.  Willingness to sign an NDA suggests I'd have no way to talk about it or post pics or divulge anythig at all, to anyone

I had said craft or body of work...  so just sayin post whatever ya got to make a case as a potential tester.  That was all.

Game companies don't generally do external beta testing except for online-only games like MMOs, and even then it's usually pretty close to launch. This is so they can control the release of game information as much as possible. Even with NDAs, information can and does still leak.

27 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

You should really only beta test games you have no intention of playing after. It truly kills the game for you. 

Eh, I dunno about that. I was a tester on various versions of The Sims and Battle for Middle Earth II, and still played the crap out of those.

Edited by sturmhauke

15 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Well that's a fine craft...  2 questions though

Why did you opt for the fixed pitch prop design?  ...and under what circumstance would you want to reverse the engine rotation with action group key 1?

Unfortunately, I was not able to fly it.

I used the reverse pitch for slowing down to a crawl when landing, it has a super slow stall speed.

16 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I used the reverse pitch for slowing down to a crawl when landing, it has a super slow stall speed.

Well...  yeah, I know.  I have a tutorial that might help you to correctly setup your propellers.  Not sayin it's perfect, or you need to follow it, but you might find it interesting.

Edited by XLjedi