Beta Testing Volunteer

XLjedi

5 hours ago, Lu K. said:

The issue for me is that if they use the same design for career

They've been very cagey about releasing any details about plans for career... but they have said it'll be getting a significant overhaul.  So we're getting something.  Just what it'll be, though, is unknown as of yet.  We'll just have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

But if you have never done anything like this before , you better be prepared for the dedication required and the time involved, it is not all fun and games. My experience has been that most find out how hard and time consuming it really is and what little reward you get and they fade into obscurity. Be careful what you wish for.

^ Quoted for truthiness.  ;)

14 minutes ago, Lu K. said:

Nate seemed pretty open about it in your interview and that was the first time I've seen anyone even ask about it so it's not cagey if they're just not getting the opportunity to talk about it because interviewers are focused on other things.

He was pretty clear that they're not ready to release details about it yet, other than that it's called "progression" mode and combines some aspects of current career and science mode.  The way he answered kinda gave me the impression that there's more to it than that, i.e. that there are significant details that they're not yet prepared to talk about.  So it's definitely in the "mostly no comment" zone thus far.

18 hours ago, Lu K. said:

I only went near Jool once in KSP for a discord challenge, aside from that I only got to Duna once in career and that was it aside from Mun/Minmus. Career needs a lot of work to maintain interest IMO.

Going to Jool and Duna (And Eve and Moho and Eeloo and even Dres) and doing things there (like say setting up colonies and constructing interstellar ships) is what maintains interest during career. Contracts, science points, and even strategies are there to facilitate that. Or, well, get in your way so you're not just playing Sandbox.

12 hours ago, Snark said:

So we're getting something.  Just what it'll be, though, is unknown as of yet.  We'll just have to wait and see.

You say that as if it's ever stopped the forum from speculating (or claiming we were promised that X would (or would not) be added to the game).

30 minutes ago, Snark said:

...combines some aspects of current career and science mode.

This seems an odd statement to me.  Science Mode is a subset of Career Mode (being Career - budget), so I'm not sure how they could combine them.  I'm curious to see what they come up with, and if it will answer people's complaints about the current career mode.

Edited by razark

4 minutes ago, razark said:

You say that as if it's ever stopped the forum from speculating (or claiming we were promised that X would (or would not) be added to the game).

No, I simply say that as if it's actually what happened and I'm reporting that as accurately as I can.  Folks can do with that information as they will.

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Folks can do with that information as they will.

And they will, if past experience is any indication.  (Perhaps I should have added a ":wink:" or ":rolleyes:" to my comment?)

Edited by razark

I'm a beta tester for another game, coincidentally also Unity based. I've been one for the past 2 expansions. The previous expansion, they had an open enrollment for the test period and we were all NDA'd. As a reward I received the expansion for free. A couple of months before the beta period for the current expansion a small(<12) group of us was privately approached about testing again, although the very fact we were testers was NDA'd at this point. What we got was a rougher version than the previous beta and we caught an incredible amount of bugs. Later on the open enrollment was done, still NDA'd but acknowledged as existing this time, and our ranks swelled and the expansion was officially announced with very minimal detail.

This is something Star Theory might consider doing. All they'd have to do is look at the forums and quietly approach certain members and build a team and we'd never be the wiser that it was ongoing.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, razark said:

Science Mode is a subset of Career Mode (being Career - budget), so I'm not sure how they could combine them.

I'm hoping they do in KSP2 what I always wanted in KSP1, a one-mode-to-rule-them-all where you can tick on and off checkboxes.

(This is what I'd want for KSP1. Modify as necessary for any changes made in KSP2)

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Science + Tech Tree
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
Then have section for costs.
Buildings cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] to unlock, with a [_____] multiplier.
Kerbals cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] per hire [__________] + [___________] per Kerbal already hired.
...etc

Basically unchecking everything is Sandbox. Checking everything is Career. Checking specific ones is Science mode. Then you also have hundreds of other custom modes depending on what you want.

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm hoping they do in KSP2 what I always wanted in KSP1, a one-mode-to-rule-them-all where you can tick on and off checkboxes.

(This is what I'd want for KSP1. Modify as necessary for any changes made in KSP2)

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
Kerbals cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] per hire [__________] + [___________] per Kerbal already hired.
...etc

Basically unchecking everything is Sandbox. Checking everything is Career. Checking specific ones is Science mode. Then you also have hundreds of other custom modes depending on what you want.

+1 (dunno why but couldn't do the usual "I like this").
More options isn't bad.
Tho I'd have another checkbox: "Starting Money" so I could check "Money + Contracts", but start with a hefty amount.
I like doing them contracts and earning money (especially getting tourists around in the Duna/Jool System), but I hate grinding the early game's money.
Just prove why we need different options !

18 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

+1 (dunno why but couldn't do the usual "I like this").

Someone broke something. They're working on it.

18 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

More options isn't bad.
Tho I'd have another checkbox: "Starting Money" so I could check "Money + Contracts", but start with a hefty amount.

That's why I used "...etc" :D

GZ5FDtQHFMoE8bGOqA8m4CcDm_5Gt7X11J2rFqHm

(This time it was actually the green one)

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
...etc

I would kill for a scienceless career that doesn't involve F12.

• 3 months later...

I have never played this. My son raved about it and sparked my interest. While I know it's silly to think beta would be considered from here, I would certainly throw my hat in the ring. I have beta tested MMO's from all the way back in the 90's. I am a former Aircraft Mechanic. This would be an awesome test! Can't wait to see the release.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the thread a bit quickly but I think here it's about several things :

1) We're eager to play KSP2 ! Can't Wait ! Hype Train ! And so on.

2) There aren't many news about KSP2 development. That's a bit frustrating.

3) We all have ideas about what we want to see in KSP2, and want to have a word to say. Maybe being a beta tester would help ?

4) It's winter. We spend more time indoors ! We want something new to play ! Seriously, we need our fix of video game. Why KSP isn't out yet ?

5) Then again. Moar boosters... Herm, I mean, moar news about KSP2. And an idea on when beta would be open ? That'd calm down people (until people get rejected for beta testing and become angry. "Haha").

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it's legitimate to ask for beta "testing" for so much of us played for years to beta versions of ksp1 before 1.0 arrived.

Having access to beta is not the same as beta testing though... Reporting every little bug is not what most of the volunteers really want.

Maybe we should ask for a pre-order/access beta instead?

29 minutes ago, aname said:

I guess it's legitimate to ask for beta "testing" for so much of us played for years to beta versions of ksp1 before 1.0 arrived.

Having access to beta is not the same as beta testing though... Reporting every little bug is not what most of the volunteers really want.

Maybe we should ask for a pre-order/access beta instead?

In the recent 1.9.0 release I found 2 or 3 bugs within 15 minutes just cycling through my craft hangar and updating them to 1.9.0. 

If @Squad at least had some craft to test to make sure things functioned before they release broken updates, it would be most appreciated!  At this point, I don't even care who does it!  I just want someone with a decent range of craft to test these things before they get released so GLARINGLY OBVIOUS BUGS are squashed pre-release.

For instance, in 1.9.0 robotic hinges are broken.  I found that in my first 15 minutes of playtime.  It's sloppy, and there's really no excuse for this.  It was a bug in a prior version, then fixed in 1.8.1, and now it's back again in 1.9.0.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24866

...and self-docked ports still cant be controlled via Action Key assignment.  So any large doors/ramps you want to create with robotics remain cumbersome at best.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24435

I'm not talking wildly complicated craft either... these are low-part count, mission oriented craft that I use in career games.  @SQUAD puts out this stuff and breaks half my hangar on every other update!  It's enough to turn your player base against you.

Edited by XLjedi

5 hours ago, XLjedi said:

In the recent 1.9.0 release I found 2 or 3 bugs within 15 minutes just cycling through my craft hangar and updating them to 1.9.0. 

If @Squad at least had some craft to test to make sure things functioned before they release broken updates, it would be most appreciated!  At this point, I don't even care who does it!  I just want someone with a decent range of craft to test these things before they get released so GLARINGLY OBVIOUS BUGS are squashed pre-release.

For instance, in 1.9.0 robotic hinges are broken.  I found that in my first 15 minutes of playtime.  It's sloppy, and there's really no excuse for this.  It was a bug in a prior version, then fixed in 1.8.1, and now it's back again in 1.9.0.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24866

...and self-docked ports still cant be controlled via Action Key assignment.  So any large doors/ramps you want to create with robotics remain cumbersome at best.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24435

I'm not talking wildly complicated craft either... these are low-part count, mission oriented craft that I use in career games.  @SQUAD puts out this stuff and breaks half my hangar on every other update!  It's enough to turn your player base against you.

just roll back to 1.8.1. It has its bugs too but I would rather the updates come with bugs than no updates at all. Atleast they fix them unlike alot of other games out there. Their player base will not turn against them because we can choose when to update. You can roll back to 1.0.0 if you want to. Sure, they could make it officially a beta for a week or 2 but in the end it doesn't change much. Players will either play 1.8.1 or 1.9 beta Its as simple as that. 

Most of us I imagine, including myself beta tested KSP1 for like 5 years lol. When that game got the “1.0” designation, I thought I was in a strange dream. I put so many countless hoursinto that game, across so many years, and kept thinking..  this game isn’t even finished yet!

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

just roll back to 1.8.1. It has its bugs too but I would rather the updates come with bugs than no updates at all. Atleast they fix them unlike alot of other games out there. Their player base will not turn against them because we can choose when to update. You can roll back to 1.0.0 if you want to. Sure, they could make it officially a beta for a week or 2 but in the end it doesn't change much. Players will either play 1.8.1 or 1.9 beta Its as simple as that. 

When your update breaks things that were never broken, or worse, re-breaks things that were fixed, it indicates poor code release management.

1 minute ago, sturmhauke said:

When your update breaks things that were never broken, or worse, re-breaks things that were fixed, it indicates poor code release management.

I am not denying the problem. I simply do not get the big deal. 1.9.1 will fix those problems and new bugs will be introduced. I would still rather 1.9.1 than no patch at all. KSP has always been like that. I do not get why people expect things to start changing now. 

3 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I am not denying the problem. I simply do not get the big deal. 1.9.1 will fix those problems and new bugs will be introduced. I would still rather 1.9.1 than no patch at all. KSP has always been like that. I do not get why people expect things to start changing now. 

I recommend they opt for the 1.9.001 upgrade numbering system on their next release then.  

Edited by XLjedi

16 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Or, maybe, 8 years of accumulated old spaghetti that needs a complete rewrite, or a sequel.