XLjedi

Beta Testing Volunteer

4 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I am more keen on testing krakens, orion drive and the survivability of KSC/colonies.

The issue for me is that if they use the same design for career, I won't even get far enough to try colonies and interstellar drives. I don't really play sandbox.

I only went near Jool once in KSP for a discord challenge, aside from that I only got to Duna once in career and that was it aside from Mun/Minmus. Career needs a lot of work to maintain interest IMO. I keep hearing the phrase "extending the tech tree" which doesn't give me much hope, but at least modding it should be easier.

So yeah, I have a lot of feedback to give on career, and quite detailed. Doubt they're looking for beta testers and input tho.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and the hat. Would do it for KSP2 if I could. But if you have never done anything like this before , you better be prepared for the dedication required and the time involved, it is not all fun and games. My experience has been that most find out how hard and time consuming it really is and what little reward you get and they fade into obscurity. Be careful what you wish for.

5 hours ago, Lu K. said:

The issue for me is that if they use the same design for career

They've been very cagey about releasing any details about plans for career... but they have said it'll be getting a significant overhaul.  So we're getting something.  Just what it'll be, though, is unknown as of yet.  We'll just have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

But if you have never done anything like this before , you better be prepared for the dedication required and the time involved, it is not all fun and games. My experience has been that most find out how hard and time consuming it really is and what little reward you get and they fade into obscurity. Be careful what you wish for.

^ Quoted for truthiness.  ;)

11 hours ago, Snark said:

They've been very cagey about releasing any details about plans for career... but they have said it'll be getting a significant overhaul.  So we're getting something.  Just what it'll be, though, is unknown as of yet.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Nate seemed pretty open about it in your interview and that was the first time I've seen anyone even ask about it so it's not cagey if they're just not getting the opportunity to talk about it because interviewers are focused on other things. I didn't see them say anything about an overhaul, just that science and career mode will be combined and R&D and science stays the same, also I keep hearing the phrase "extending the tech tree" all of which sounds like a big DLC more than an overhaul. But if you have more info or sources which discuss this please share, I've watched somewhere between 5-10 interviews and yours was the only one that talked about it.

14 minutes ago, Lu K. said:

Nate seemed pretty open about it in your interview and that was the first time I've seen anyone even ask about it so it's not cagey if they're just not getting the opportunity to talk about it because interviewers are focused on other things.

He was pretty clear that they're not ready to release details about it yet, other than that it's called "progression" mode and combines some aspects of current career and science mode.  The way he answered kinda gave me the impression that there's more to it than that, i.e. that there are significant details that they're not yet prepared to talk about.  So it's definitely in the "mostly no comment" zone thus far.

18 hours ago, Lu K. said:

I only went near Jool once in KSP for a discord challenge, aside from that I only got to Duna once in career and that was it aside from Mun/Minmus. Career needs a lot of work to maintain interest IMO.

Going to Jool and Duna (And Eve and Moho and Eeloo and even Dres) and doing things there (like say setting up colonies and constructing interstellar ships) is what maintains interest during career. Contracts, science points, and even strategies are there to facilitate that. Or, well, get in your way so you're not just playing Sandbox.

12 hours ago, Snark said:

So we're getting something.  Just what it'll be, though, is unknown as of yet.  We'll just have to wait and see.

You say that as if it's ever stopped the forum from speculating (or claiming we were promised that X would (or would not) be added to the game).

30 minutes ago, Snark said:

...combines some aspects of current career and science mode.

This seems an odd statement to me.  Science Mode is a subset of Career Mode (being Career - budget), so I'm not sure how they could combine them.  I'm curious to see what they come up with, and if it will answer people's complaints about the current career mode.

Edited by razark

29 minutes ago, Snark said:

He was pretty clear that they're not ready to release details about it yet, other than that it's called "progression" mode and combines some aspects of current career and science mode.  The way he answered kinda gave me the impression that there's more to it than that, i.e. that there are significant details that they're not yet prepared to talk about.  So it's definitely in the "mostly no comment" zone thus far.

Thanks for the extra clarity, whenever he says no comment it tells me a lot :D 

4 minutes ago, razark said:

You say that as if it's ever stopped the forum from speculating (or claiming we were promised that X would (or would not) be added to the game).

No, I simply say that as if it's actually what happened and I'm reporting that as accurately as I can.  Folks can do with that information as they will.

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Folks can do with that information as they will.

And they will, if past experience is any indication.  (Perhaps I should have added a ":wink:" or ":rolleyes:" to my comment?)

Edited by razark

I'm a beta tester for another game, coincidentally also Unity based. I've been one for the past 2 expansions. The previous expansion, they had an open enrollment for the test period and we were all NDA'd. As a reward I received the expansion for free. A couple of months before the beta period for the current expansion a small(<12) group of us was privately approached about testing again, although the very fact we were testers was NDA'd at this point. What we got was a rougher version than the previous beta and we caught an incredible amount of bugs. Later on the open enrollment was done, still NDA'd but acknowledged as existing this time, and our ranks swelled and the expansion was officially announced with very minimal detail.

This is something Star Theory might consider doing. All they'd have to do is look at the forums and quietly approach certain members and build a team and we'd never be the wiser that it was ongoing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I ONLY HAVE AN IMAC!!!!!!!

Um star theory, if you want me to test KSP2 on macOS, i can do it for you. I actually don't care if my iMac blows up from the awesomeness of KSP2 (it's like 8 years old)

On 9/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, razark said:

Science Mode is a subset of Career Mode (being Career - budget), so I'm not sure how they could combine them.

I'm hoping they do in KSP2 what I always wanted in KSP1, a one-mode-to-rule-them-all where you can tick on and off checkboxes.

(This is what I'd want for KSP1. Modify as necessary for any changes made in KSP2)

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Science + Tech Tree
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
Then have section for costs.
Buildings cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] to unlock, with a [_____] multiplier.
Kerbals cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] per hire [__________] + [___________] per Kerbal already hired.
...etc

Basically unchecking everything is Sandbox. Checking everything is Career. Checking specific ones is Science mode. Then you also have hundreds of other custom modes depending on what you want.

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm hoping they do in KSP2 what I always wanted in KSP1, a one-mode-to-rule-them-all where you can tick on and off checkboxes.

(This is what I'd want for KSP1. Modify as necessary for any changes made in KSP2)

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
Kerbals cost [Cash|Science|Reputation] per hire [__________] + [___________] per Kerbal already hired.
...etc

Basically unchecking everything is Sandbox. Checking everything is Career. Checking specific ones is Science mode. Then you also have hundreds of other custom modes depending on what you want.

+1 (dunno why but couldn't do the usual "I like this").
More options isn't bad.
Tho I'd have another checkbox: "Starting Money" so I could check "Money + Contracts", but start with a hefty amount.
I like doing them contracts and earning money (especially getting tourists around in the Duna/Jool System), but I hate grinding the early game's money.
Just prove why we need different options !

18 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

+1 (dunno why but couldn't do the usual "I like this").

Someone broke something. They're working on it.

18 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

More options isn't bad.
Tho I'd have another checkbox: "Starting Money" so I could check "Money + Contracts", but start with a hefty amount.

That's why I used "...etc" :D

GZ5FDtQHFMoE8bGOqA8m4CcDm_5Gt7X11J2rFqHm

(This time it was actually the green one)

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

[ ] - Money + Contracts
[ ] - Strategies
...etc
...etc

I would kill for a scienceless career that doesn't involve F12.