Predictions about difficulty levels

JERONIMO

probably to casual for KSP1 players but to hard for new players, which means Rest In Peperoni KSP2. unless if they will make it casual, not ultra hard, casual, because most people have hands and mind growing not from the shoulders...

I say its probably easier than KSP1. Better tutorial makes it easier to get into New higher ISP engines will make interplanetary easier. Suspect we get something like porkshop in mechjeb to plan interplanetary missions. 

Now landing and especially driving rovers are likely to be harder because of more rugged ground. 

Okay I'll play.

I predict the early game will be easier because of better tutorials and possibly some tweaks to parts.

I predict the early-mid-game will be about the same as KSP1.

I predict that after you get access to the near-future engines, interplanetary stuff in the Kerbolar system will be a lot easier than in KSP1.

I predict that once you start doing interstellar missions, things will be as hard or possibly even harder than in KSP1 again.

And I predict that building, maintaining, and growing colonies will be a whole different type of gameplay, and it's really difficult to guess just how hard it will be.

25 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

I'm really worried there near future engine eliminate all challenge from the game..once you unlock them.

One of the most challenging and motivating parts of KSP is, that so many things are just so barely possible

It won't be hard to nerf engines so you get barely possible interstellar missions.

49 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

I'm really worried there near future engine eliminate all challenge from the game..once you unlock them.

One of the most challenging and motivating parts of KSP is, that so many things are just so barely possible

I can very much sympathise with that but I don't entirely share that feeling. 

Thing is I play a lot of career games. The reason is precisely that I enjoy designing under the constraints of fewer cool parts to play with, which makes even otherwise pretty trivial things like, say, a Mun return mission challenging.

I don't expect this to change. That means I will likely be happily playing in the Kerbolar system at a lower tech level, and the again in the interstellar phase with the near-future tech. At that point it won't bother me the least bit if the Kerbolar stuff is trivial, because I'll have a whole new set of challenges to deal with using the new toys.

1 hour ago, Kergarin said:

I disagree, new technology means that you can just ask more from your missions, for example I just had to save my Eve ship with a rescue refuelling mission and I put as a requirement to bring the fuel to Eve before the return window, that meant that i had to build (and pay for, this is a career game) a 5000 DV refuel probe to reach Eve in 150 days outside any meaningful transfer window, there is literally no limit on how difficult you can make a mission with time restrains, crew space requirement, life support and so on.

Also we are presuming a sandbox scenario in which you have a infinite source for every fuel directly at KSC and that is not confirmed and, even if it is confirmed I would consider that cheating anyway and avoid it.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Kergarin said:

The only difficult part of getting to Duna or Eve is setting up the transfer burn who is far harder to plan than simply going to Minmus. 

One aspect is time, interplanetary takes time. Now Orion and better engines changes this a lot.  On the other hand an orion is probably expensive to use, nuclear bombs are expensive after all. 
Fusion engines on the other hand should not have this issue. And getting to Jool in an month change stuff a lot. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

The only difficult part of getting to Duna or Eve is setting up the transfer burn who is far harder to plan than simply going to Minmus. 

Some of the near-future-tech engines would make it very easy to get out of Eve, or make a Tylo single-stage-to-surface-and-back machine. If they have TWR like a Vector and Isp like a NERV, then that's pretty much solved.

Again, I'm personally not bothered as by the time I get my career to the point they're unlocked I expect I'll have other challenges to deal with. Our traditional Eve and Tylo challenges will have to have restrictions placed on them, like, "no future tech allowed."

6 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Some of the near-future-tech engines would make it very easy to get out of Eve, or make a Tylo single-stage-to-surface-and-back machine.

They said that they are designing new planets an moons to be "landing puzzles" and not simple DV challenges.

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

They said that they are designing new planets an moons to be "landing puzzles" and not simple DV challenges.

Guaranteed one of them is going to be like Tellumo in Galileo’s Planet Pack, which requires jet engines to escape. 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, Kergarin said:

But career mode will (hopefully) be designed so that you will have to do a lot of interplanetary stuff before you unlock these better engines. Then you can do harder stuff to unlock more powerful stuff and so on and so on. Of course early game missions will be easy with late game tech. This is already the case in KSP1. Mun landing is really easy with all the parts unlocked, but reasonably hard with 30 part limit and only low tech parts. I just hope that they'll plan and balance career mode much better than in KSP1...

On 9/10/2019 at 11:34 PM, MechBFP said:

Guaranteed one of them is going to be like Tellumo in Galileo’s Planet Pack, which requires jet engines to escape. 

They have an super earth planet with an breathable atmosphere, guess it will be an Eve or more extreme there jet engines works 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, Kergarin said:

Like what? Stock ksp is very easy because it has no life support so you have far less mass and more importantly a lot of time. Personally I find stock ksp unplayable without tac lift support. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, dave1904 said:

Like what? Stock ksp is very easy because it has no life support so you have far less mass and more importantly a lot of time. Personally I find stock ksp unplayable without tac lift support. 

Like eve SSTOs or going reusable to everywhere or single stage to Tylo and things like that. The rumors about the near future engine specs seem to make these things trivial.

6 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Like eve SSTOs or going reusable to everywhere or single stage to Tylo and things like that. The rumors about the near future engine specs seem to make these things trivial.

The things you mentioned are self made challenges and are already trivial in the current game. Ksp lets you play the way you want to play and thats the most important part.

Since KSP 1 was redesigned as Kerbal Aircraft Program so people could fly planes to the moon it's all been ridiculously easy anyway unless you restrain yourself.  It could be worse, if it went all Hollywood 'space' like Elite or SC but 'hard' is only ever going to be a matter of what dV and thrust you can get from an engine.

1 hour ago, Pecan said:

Since KSP 1 was redesigned as Kerbal Aircraft Program so people could fly planes to the moon it's all been ridiculously easy anyway unless you restrain yourself.  It could be worse, if it went all Hollywood 'space' like Elite or SC but 'hard' is only ever going to be a matter of what dV and thrust you can get from an engine.

It's not that, it's the lack of habitation requirements if not the lack of a proper LS system, if all you need for a Kerbal to go all the way to Jool is an external command seat then there is no balance that can fix the game, most people do Interplanetary mission with a mk1-3 pod, it's not that different from a plane cockpit.

While writing this I'm designing the ship that I will use for my next Eve and Duna missions with a 6 kerbals crew, this is the habitation part alone: 

Spoiler

0o7t1LV.png