Communications in KSP 2

GoldForest

Increase electrical requirements over distance by reducing size of packets.
So by having 100-1000+ ticks to send science interstellar it would create an artificial "delay"  not to mention having proper power-generation/infrastructure to maintain said transmission for the required time (assuming timewarp trick is fixed).

It's not a perfect system, but it's my way of making it longer, while still being easy and not obnoxious.
As for probes, agreed with the advanced AI idea, just a top notch probe that can handle it's own, provided it does not run out of power (and it should be hungry to not be the end of all probes... a more 'basic' probe would be better for current solar system, provided it has a good enough antenna)...

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The thing is if they actually implemented that someone would write the code and put it up as a mod. Then anyone could just download and install the bot and let the bot play the game for them.

at which point I  have to wonder why they just skip the “buying the game and install it” and just watch a twitch streamer. It’s cheaper and twitch playes on iPads 

I don't see that as a problem, if someone wants to cheat there are easier ways than abusing Kos scripts

2 hours ago, Francois424 said:
Increase electrical requirements over distance by reducing size of packets.
So by having 100-1000+ ticks to send science interstellar it would create an artificial "delay"  not to mention having proper power-generation/infrastructure to maintain said transmission for the required time (assuming timewarp trick is fixed).

Yeah, I imagine we'll get new, mondo relay antennae and the nuclear reactors needed to power them (which we'll need anyway for things like VASIMR engines).  And the bandwidth will likely be very low at extreme distances.  IIRC, it took more than a year for New Horizons to transmit all the data it got from its brief encounter with Pluto.

47 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I don't see that as a problem, if someone wants to cheat there are easier ways than abusing Kos scripts

I don't understand why folks think it's "cheating" to have MJ fly your ship.  Every real spacecraft ever made has been flown either entirely or almost entirely by their guidance systems, even when crewed..  

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

I don't understand why folks think it's "cheating" to have MJ fly your ship.  Every real spacecraft ever made has been flown either entirely or almost entirely by their guidance systems, even when crewed..  

Personally i never use MJ or other guidance systems, I like to fly my contraptions and I feel like I'm cheating to myself to use such mods.

But i don't consider them cheating at all, it's the same in the docking computer in Elite Dangerous for me, if it helps people to enjoy the game I'm totally ok with it but i will not use it personally because I think that getting the spoiler of my Beluga stuck in the mailbox is part of the fun.

The reason RT is a pain to maintain is because the signal delay is trying to do something via a MOD without good support for that thing from the base game.  Namely, the thing that's hardest (from the mod maker's point of view, not from the player's point of view) about signal delay is that you need to insert a buffer in between the player inputs and the game seeing those inputs, and the KSP1 infrastructure wasn't really built to allow that buffer.  So RT has to do some rather "rude" things to the base game to "yank" control away from all the other PartModules in the game and say "NO!  I will not let you do what you were about to do!  Instead let ME do that!".  (That's why it tends to break symmetry in action windows, for example, is because of that rude insertion into the input flow interrupting the normal "do it to the left side and it happens to the right as well" logic in the base game.)

That's why having support for that from KSP2's modder API would be useful.  When the base game doesn't provide the "hook" to allow signal delay, the mod has to be built in a very bug-prone way that's impossible to "future proof" because it's going in and ripping apart base assumptions the game made and falsifying them, and inserting itself rather rudely into things the base game is trying to do.

This isn't saying "make everyone have delay".  Rather it's saying "make sure the API infrastructure is there to allow mods to intercept any and all player inputs before they do anything."

And that basically means a much stronger wall of separation between the user interface and the rest of the game than KSP1 has.  But the good news is that if they're planning to do multiplayer, they're probably going to need that wall anyway, to handle the lag between different players.  If it gets implemented like that, then a mod like RT could do signal delay like it was a "slow player" sending UI commands to the main game.