Release your stress here. Whats the worst thing/fail that you faced in ksp???

Space boy

The most memorable one was when I was returning from my very first crewed Mun landing, re-entered, opened parachute, floated down to a soft landing... on a steep mountain slope, then rolled down the slope and died in a ball of fire.

The most unpleasant one was when I tried a hardcore (no quickloads, no reverts) career, and had gotten as far as to send a craft on a polar orbit to Ike. As it passed over the south pole, the Kraken... ate it. Parts of the craft just straight-up disappeared with the rest continuing, uncontrollable, in a constellation of parts locked together by invisible struts. That was so unpleasant I ended the career and decided just not to do a no-quickload one, instead just self-restricting quickloads to whatever extent I find enjoyable.

The most exciting one was when I had sent up a very heavy SSTO lifter to orbit, and when I released my payload the Kraken attacked, shaking the craft until one of the four engine pods broke off with a part of the wing. I was able to re-enter and land the damaged plane although it was pretty hairy. 

The most embarrassing and facepalm-worthy one was when I sent a single-pilot lander mission to Duna, and upon arrival discovered that my hatch was blocked and I couldn't exit the craft. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

The most memorable one was when I was returning from my very first crewed Mun landing, re-entered, opened parachute, floated down to a soft landing... on a steep mountain slope, then rolled down the slope and died in a ball of fire.

The most unpleasant one was when I tried a hardcore (no quickloads, no reverts) career, and had gotten as far as to send a craft on a polar orbit to Ike. As it passed over the south pole, the Kraken... ate it. Parts of the craft just straight-up disappeared with the rest continuing, uncontrollable, in a constellation of parts locked together by invisible struts. That was so unpleasant I ended the career and decided just not to do a no-quickload one, instead just self-restricting quickloads to whatever extent I find enjoyable.

The most exciting one was when I had sent up a very heavy SSTO lifter to orbit, and when I released my payload the Kraken attacked, shaking the craft until one of the four engine pods broke off with a part of the wing. I was able to re-enter and land the damaged plane although it was pretty hairy. 

The most embarrassing and facepalm-worthy one was when I sent a single-pilot lander mission to Duna, and upon arrival discovered that my hatch was blocked and I couldn't exit the craft. 

i can relate with the first one, that feeling when you have done everything and then fail.

i am like stuck in an orbit around kerbin with bob and jeb after landing from minmus and in the process of watching scott manley videos. 

On my first attempt, i crashed in a biome hop because the craft was going sideways rather than downwards and i was not able to guess the landing and landed sideways and then blew myself up. On my second attempt, i landed on minmus, did a biome hop, got into minmus orbit, escaped minmus and now I am stuck in kerbin orbit after using as much fuel as possible to decrease periapsis  into the kerbin atmosphere and sadly failing to do so. 

13 minutes ago, Space boy said:

On my first attempt, i crashed in a biome hop because the craft was going sideways rather than downwards and i was not able to guess the landing and landed sideways and then blew myself up. On my second attempt, i landed on minmus, did a biome hop, got into minmus orbit, escaped minmus and now I am stuck in kerbin orbit after using as much fuel as possible to decrease periapsis  into the kerbin atmosphere and sadly failing to do so. 

If it's a crewed launch and you're only missing a little bit of dV, get out and push.

Tips for future missions:

• When biome hopping, point your craft at surface retrograde (using SAS if you have the capability). When it's more or less upright, point it at surface radial out. No more sideways landings!
  • When returning to Kerbin from Minmus, Mun, or even Duna, consider adding a heat shield to your return module and going straight into the atmosphere from your transfer orbit. You will burn very little fuel. Things will get hot though so that heat shield is necessary.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

If it's a crewed launch and you're only missing a little bit of dV, get out and push.

Tips for future missions:

• When biome hopping, point your craft at surface retrograde (using SAS if you have the capability). When it's more or less upright, point it at surface radial out. No more sideways landings!
  • When returning to Kerbin from Minmus, Mun, or even Duna, consider adding a heat shield to your return module and going straight into the atmosphere from your transfer orbit. You will burn very little fuel. Things will get hot though so that heat shield is necessary.

holy....... why didnt i think of that 1!11!!!1 mannn thank youuu so much.

*sighhhh* yeah I am dumb. 

I pushed my craft into a mun encounter and the mun would put us into a lower orbit than I already was at using much less fuel and time. After the encounter, I realized I forgot to put Bob back into the pod. I evaed until my perigee was slightly into the atmosphere and hoped that Bob would survive it. But the perigee magically rised out of the atmosphere without me doing anything and thusss...... 

Hours and hours (maybe days), designing a 0.1 scale Jupiter mission. Mothership, lander, rover, etc. Sent it on its way.

Did a variety of basic tasks in Earth SoI while it was en-route; some satellites, think there was a moon mission in there...

Got to Europa orbit, a couple of real-time days later - and the docking port doesn't undock.

Pretty sure I raged and hyperedited the ship back, disembarked everyone, launched it again and hyperedited it back to Europa x)

One of the worst gameplays i did was in a Jool system (first time there..). I thought i had lots of DeltaV in my lander and in the main ship, and by inefficient maneuvering i left my lander on a very large elliptical orbit around Jool with almost no fuel left. I thought it would be easy to bring mother ship closer, randez-vous, and fly away with all the crew. 

So i tried to play with maneuver nodes, for hours and hours. After all, I made the randez-vous but i had to time warp like 8-10 years, and it was soooo hard (large elliptical orbit is way too different level of RVs.. NEVER AGAIN). 

And after all maneuvering my main ship had so little fuel left (relative speed of both ships in the moment of contact was ridiculously high), that it was not possible to fly back to Kerbin. I was too exhausted to launch a rescue mission.

I had to find a much older save of the game, and completely avoid doing that silly mission with lander.

I was defeated. That was the only time in my KSP career that i had to find much older save of the game

Edited by papuchalk

The most facepalm moment for me was taking a bunch of tourists on a scenic flight around Kerbin. I had the KSP forum open in another window and was reading and not paying attention to what I was doing.  The plane flew into the side of a mountain and killed 28 Kerbals.

The thread I was reading: "What crimes against Kerbin have you committed?"  

As for total fails--so many....

11 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

I've never really had a single mission failure. You see, I test fly all my spacecraft 4-5 times before the "real" mission. It takes many failures to make a success. :wink:

Yeah, but for me there is still pilot error.

Edited by Klapaucius

The worst thing I've faced in KSP, has been myself -specifically, my own ambition. Imagine prepping, sending off and managing multiple flights, while completing local and non-local contracts. This, through a system of 90% reusable infrastructure in the form of outposts, miners, rovers, landers, spaceplanes and other spacecraft -a system that eventually encompassed the whole solar system. And it was as taxing, as much as it was glorious.

7 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

The thread I was reading: "What crimes against Kerbin have you committed?" 

Haha, maybe it had some subconscious effect on you.

Worst thing for me was when I took Jeb on EVA on Minmus and needed to go to a nearby biome to get science. So i used his on suit RCS pack to save time and boy I went fast. I was in a hurry. On return I opted to not land lightly and somehow thought he would "slide" into the dirt. Instead Jeb bounced and he floated for a long time. and bounced again, and floated... for a long time.

If you don't know, when a kerbal falls you have no control of him until he comes to rest and gets to his feet. On Minmus this can be a very long time of bouncing floating, and sliding down hills. So ALWAYS quicksave before you make a maneuver or you will be going back and redoing a lot of work, that or waiting for Jeb to slide to the bottom of a hill.

OR this. I get my carefully designed rocket to the destination only to remember I didn't turn off SAS for the 20 day transit time and now I have no electrical energy to control it to point the solar cells toward the sun and I can't make the capture burn either.

Edited by vhazrd

3 minutes ago, vhazrd said:

Haha, maybe it had some subconscious effect on you.

Worst thing for me was when I took Jeb on EVA on Minmus and needed to go to a nearby biome to get science. So i used his on suit RCS pack to save time and boy I went fast. I was in a hurry. On return I opted to not land lightly and somehow thought he would "slide" into the dirt. Instead Jeb bounced and he floated for a long time. and bounced again, and floated... for a long time.

If you don't know, when a kerbal falls you have no control of him until he comes to rest and gets to his feet. On Minmus this can be a very long time of bouncing floating, and sliding down hills. So ALWAYS quicksave before you make a maneuver or you will be going back and redoing a lot of work, that or waiting for Jeb to slide to the bottom of a hill.

OR this. I get my carefully designed rocket to the destination only to remember I didn't turn off SAS for the 20 day transit time and now I have no electrical energy to control it to point the solar cells toward the sun and I can't make the capture burn either.

I have personally experienced the bouncy things on minmus. It's not a pleasent experience least said. 

Laythe. I have attempted a Jool-5 three times I think since I started playing KSP back in 2013, and all three of those ended with a failed Laythe lander. Tylo? Vall? Bop? All fine. But Laythe, for some reason... always ended up being my stumbling block. And it was a different mistake each time, ranging from craft error (woah, those fuel lines didn't work like I thought they would!) to pilot error (err, this craft can take off from water, right?) to stuff I can't even remember now. As a result, even though I've been to all five of Jool's moons more than once, I've never actually managed to finish a Jool-5 properly without sending a rescue mission. ;.;

I was doing a Reddit challenge where you were supposed to design a superlight mission to Duna, except I decided to try for hard mode and go to Tylo instead. You were limited to 1 ton payloads to LKO, and up to 10 segments could be docked together for your interplanetary cruiser. I designed a craft with lander that were able to get to Tylo orbit and land, theoretically... but then it turned out that I oriented the command seat the wrong way. You know that scene in Apollo 13 where the control coordinates are 90 degrees off from the craft coordinates? It was like that. I crashed. A lot. I ended up scrapping the attempt. In retrospect, I'm not even certain that my lander would have been successful even with a properly oriented seat. I did land on Tylo successfully on a later mission though.

I had a really nice nuclear-powered ship that I took out to Duna, landed a crew there and on Ike, and took them back to Kerbin. I left the ship in orbit, and later decided to take it to Eve. Went to Eve, dropped off a science package, and then entered orbit of Gilly to make a crewed landing. Then the game crashed. It had saved while I was in orbit of Gilly, but every time I went back to that ship it would crash again. That was many years ago now, and I've been trying to recapture the pride I felt in that mission ever since.

The 1st time I tried to rendezvous.

Boy... I thought I was sooper hawt spaceship flyboy after being a space nut for 30 years and I'd have NO problem doing a rendezvous. I had read Buzz's thesis and everything! I wuz SMART!

Whelp. KSP took my ego down a bunch of notches.

After a couple days of trying to do it, I installed MechJeb and pressed the big red button marked "Rendezvous"

I spent another 20 minutes going "what the **** is IT DOING?" as it raised the orbit to something that would intersect in less than an ice age, did the proper Hohmann intercept, and did all the flipping around to do the braking burn and proximity burns.

The "ooooh" lightbulb that popped up at each stage could have powered New York for a week.

3 hours ago, GeneCash said:

The 1st time I tried to rendezvous.

Boy... I thought I was sooper hawt spaceship flyboy after being a space nut for 30 years and I'd have NO problem doing a rendezvous. I had read Buzz's thesis and everything! I wuz SMART!

Whelp. KSP took my ego down a bunch of notches.

After a couple days of trying to do it, I installed MechJeb and pressed the big red button marked "Rendezvous"

I spent another 20 minutes going "what the **** is IT DOING?" as it raised the orbit to something that would intersect in less than an ice age, did the proper Hohmann intercept, and did all the flipping around to do the braking burn and proximity burns.

The "ooooh" lightbulb that popped up at each stage could have powered New York for a week.

That's some creative use of words lol 

For me it was probably an ion powered 1 kerbal vehicle I sent to Eeloo a few years ago. Everything was fine on the way out, lots of power for the multiple ion engines. But on arrival at the little ice cube, I fired up the ions to enter orbit and the batteries were flat in 30 seconds.

Of course this was just after the change in the game to make sunlight (and so power to my solar panels) fall off with distance from the sun.

So the thing was dead in the water as far as visiting Eeloo was concerned.

Had a pretty bad fail yesterday when I was deploying my first satellite ever, around Minmus.

Everything worked like a charm on the first try until the escape burn from Minmus. I was pretty far zoomed out in map view when I did a big radial-in change to get a good Kerbin periapsis. I didn't notice that the trajectory was through Minmus until the time warp unexpectedly was cancelled. No quick saves, reverted to launch.

Not the worst really and like some others posted before. It is the one that sticks with me the most and has since served me well since as I plan much better now. But it was very early on in KSP and I had no experience really and I ran out of fuel just before I made the atmo. So, ya, I had to get out and push quite a few times but Jeb finally made it home. Rookies........sheesh! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.