Release your stress here. Whats the worst thing/fail that you faced in ksp???

Space boy

I wanted to set up a tiny little base for science like only the four main kerbals would be there. I also wanted to send a rover along with the base so I made a mechanism in which the rover will be deployed on the surface robotically. Realised I hadn't unlocked big enough fairings so I decided to go to mun and just get some extra science and continue. I landed.... With no fuel to return. Sent rescue mission, failed, failed twice. I landed successfuly on an attempt but really far away from the stranded kerbals, and thus, crashed Bob on an eva. All for just one fairing. 

Power shortages. :mad:

I hate power shortages while in the middle of an atmospheric flight . :huh:

And yeah, I got one yesterday at the end of the day, when I was closing shop to go back to the game!

Had just come back from Gilly in my lander and docked at my mothership. Set up a manenouver node and just pressed Z for full speed. I thought that the nuclear engines sounded funny but didnt really pay any attention, just stayed in map mode until burn was done while reading a book. When I returned to Kerbin I undocked my lander and prepared for a prograde burn during aerocapture when I noticed that I was out of fuel.... When I pressed Z to burn for Kerbin I activated both my nukes AND my lander's engines so I was completely out of fuel.. My lander's engines were pointed retrograde to my nuclear engines so I had spent waaaay to much DV to get back to Kerbin... Didnt even notice. 

3 hours ago, michaelvf said:

Had just come back from Gilly in my lander and docked at my mothership. Set up a manenouver node and just pressed Z for full speed. I thought that the nuclear engines sounded funny but didnt really pay any attention, just stayed in map mode until burn was done while reading a book. When I returned to Kerbin I undocked my lander and prepared for a prograde burn during aerocapture when I noticed that I was out of fuel.... When I pressed Z to burn for Kerbin I activated both my nukes AND my lander's engines so I was completely out of fuel.. My lander's engines were pointed retrograde to my nuclear engines so I had spent waaaay to much DV to get back to Kerbin... Didnt even notice. 

Ohh man thats........ Relatable. 

In my current game:

Forgetting the parachutes on my manned spaceship to Mun.

And only noticing it on its return to Kerbin, when I was descending in 12 km altitude and wondered why, despite frantically hitting space, no Drogue chutes got released.

Funny enough my Kerbonauts still survived ... I had planned ample fuel for the mission and had ~2000 m/s dV left and my engine had a good TWR even in Kerbins atmosphere ... and by throttling it to full I was able to brake my spaceship enough to make a rough, but survivable landing.

Nevertheless it were extremly stressful minutes between discovering the absence of my parachutes and the landing

2 minutes ago, Godot said:

In my current game:

Forgetting the parachutes on my manned spaceship to Mun.

And only noticing it on its return to Kerbin, when I was descending in 12 km altitude and wondered why, despite frantically hitting space, no Drogue chutes got released.

Funny enough my Kerbonauts still survived ... I had planned ample fuel for the mission and had ~2000 m/s dV left and my engine had a good TWR even in Kerbins atmosphere ... and by throttling it to full I was able to brake my spaceship enough to make a rough, but survivable landing.

Nevertheless it were extremly stressful minutes between discovering the absence of my parachutes and the landing

How were you able to keep the craft stable during re-entry? 

58 minutes ago, Space boy said:

How were you able to keep the craft stable during re-entry? 

It did handle very well .. I guess because it was a rather stocky design and had 4 swiveling engines on the side (as well as a RCS Thrusters and ample Reaction Wheels)

I just looked up if I could find some pics of it and actually found one:

YAMR4ih.png

On its way to Mun and still connected to its Mun landing ferry

Addendum:

Just looked it up in the VAB ... it also had a heat shield below the center tank, adding to its stability by putting something very heavy to the bottom

Edited by Godot
Addendum added

Most embarrassing moment: Minimus science hopper: hopped into a biome without ore. Darn, but no problem, i refill on the next. Just barely made the biome change with 14 m/s dV left in a crater, deployed mining drill and again no ore. Note that I did have survey scan in orbit, but who needs to look. Second attempt to a different biome and landed high north in the shadow of a mountain: no sun, no drilling.

Most frustrating: Modified trajectories mod to include deployed wings and orientation. Somehow messed it up when switching to Quaternions and unfortunately I forgot to commit the best working code before. Couldn't pick up so far.

Proudest moment: My First landing at KSC runway from orbit with rocket first stage in Falcon 9 style recovering 100% value.

21 minutes ago, CBase said:

Most embarrassing moment: Minimus science hopper: hopped into a biome without ore. Darn, but no problem, i refill on the next. Just barely made the biome change with 14 m/s dV left in a crater, deployed mining drill and again no ore. Note that I did have survey scan in orbit, but who needs to look. Second attempt to a different biome and landed high north in the shadow of a mountain: no sun, no drilling.

Most frustrating: Modified trajectories mod to include deployed wings and orientation. Somehow messed it up when switching to Quaternions and unfortunately I forgot to commit the best working code before. Couldn't pick up so far.

Proudest moment: My First landing at KSC runway from orbit with rocket first stage in Falcon 9 style recovering 100% value.

What sort of mind-boggling pro are you????!!!! How the actual heck did you land with only 14 m/s ∆v left?? Man it takes me like triple of that to land. 

11 hours ago, Space boy said:

How the actual heck did you land with only 14 m/s ∆v left??

I am no flight pro :confused: The 14 m/s ∆v was after the landing when I discovered that there is no ore below me to refill. To be honest the retries until I made a safe landing where I could mine ore did vastly improve my suborbital flight skills.

Edited by CBase

8 hours ago, CBase said:

I am no flight pro :confused: The 14 m/s ∆v was after the landing when I discovered that there is no ore below me to refill. To be honest the retries until I made a safe landing where I could mine ore did vastly improve my suborbital flight skills.

Oh, ok cool. 

On 9/10/2019 at 3:08 AM, Brikoleur said:

The most memorable one was when I was returning from my very first crewed Mun landing, re-entered, opened parachute, floated down to a soft landing... on a steep mountain slope, then rolled down the slope and died in a ball of fire.

I landed on the Mun perfectly at 3 m/s, and my lander engine just. . . exploded. D:

Had a rocket failure, SRB flying everywhere, and I stage up and the capsule is fall under a shoot, and while it a failure, it not a disaster.

Then a SRB that is uncontrolled hits the pod.  It doesn't kill the pod, but takes out the shoot.  And the three Kerbals fall to their death.

That and doing my 3rd mun mission and everything goes well except I land on the side of a mountain, and roll all the way down and blow up on landing.

Flipped a rover on the mun and killed the Kerbal in it.

----------

Only time I lost kerbals, but I have yet to do too many fancy things.

While hardly the worst thing I've done, I haven't done this in a while:

Launching a small remote rover to Eve - which is to replace the first attempt that burned up during atmospheric entry - and I forgot to set the control point to the transfer stage instead of the (horizontally mounted) rover.  The REALLY bad part is I have action groups set for the control points to easily switch.  Surprisingly, the entire rocket flipped & slammed into the ground clear of the pad and the rover inside the fairing survived intact.  The next attempt was successful, but I'm beginning to think my contract to land a rover on Eve might be cursed.

WbALrdr.png?1

l9JQH4G.png?1

I keep messing up circles in my calculations for KOS scripts.   KOS will give me the angle between 2 vectors,  but you need a second calculation to say which way that angle is.   Eg if the phase angle between Kerbin and Duna is 20 degrees, I need a second calculation to determine if that is ahead or behind,  then if I want to get to 44 degrees behind I'm either 24 or 64 degrees ahead,  so I need to travel another 336 or 296 degrees relative to duna.  I think.   Although that's a bad example as Duna doesn't have a constant angular velocity.  Aargh.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.