Space boy

Release your stress here. Whats the worst thing/fail that you faced in ksp???

I keep messing up circles in my calculations for KOS scripts.   KOS will give me the angle between 2 vectors,  but you need a second calculation to say which way that angle is.   Eg if the phase angle between Kerbin and Duna is 20 degrees, I need a second calculation to determine if that is ahead or behind,  then if I want to get to 44 degrees behind I'm either 24 or 64 degrees ahead,  so I need to travel another 336 or 296 degrees relative to duna.  I think.   Although that's a bad example as Duna doesn't have a constant angular velocity.  Aargh.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

12 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

While hardly the worst thing I've done, I haven't done this in a while:

Launching a small remote rover to Eve - which is to replace the first attempt that burned up during atmospheric entry - and I forgot to set the control point to the transfer stage instead of the (horizontally mounted) rover.  The REALLY bad part is I have action groups set for the control points to easily switch.  Surprisingly, the entire rocket flipped & slammed into the ground clear of the pad and the rover inside the fairing survived intact.  The next attempt was successful, but I'm beginning to think my contract to land a rover on Eve might be cursed.

WbALrdr.png?1

l9JQH4G.png?1

Hahaha, I always feel like the contracts are cursed they are like made to be unsolvable! 

I tried to launch a craft into LEO in RSS/RO, and I loaded my rocket too heavy- so it was unable to reach orbit. I was playing RP-1... Other than that it's probably my 0.90.0 Jool 5 attempt, which I attempted as a single launch mission before the entire thing went to bits because not enough struts

2 very similar fails.  The first was my first manned (Kerbaled?) trip to Duna, left Duna orbit to come home and left the lander crew and all the science behind.  This was a quite a while ago.

The second was a few weeks ago, I was trying to see how few flights I could do to unlock the tech tree.  It took 12 with no science coming from KSC other than launchpad.  The reason it took 12 instead of 11 was I had to go back to the Mun to get the science I left on a lander.

I don't have any idea if 12 is an impressive number or not.  I never went farther than Minimus and hit every biome there and all but 3 on the Mun.   This was pretty easy as I concentrated on the top and bottom of the tree for science experiments and big fuel tanks in the early stages.  2 of the flights were refuel depots in Mun and Minimus orbits.

Edited by BrianInAustin

I was doing a practice orbit of the Z-MAP Satellite Launch kit, and as I was deorbiting the orbital stage I collided with the satellite and sent it spinning away at escape velocity :( 

This was on my first minmus trip witch ended REALLY bad

So i decided to make a minmus trip taking the original 4.3 of them were going in the lifepod and the other when into the hitchjaker(idk how to type that).Now there was a slight issue with this design..I originaly decided that only the lifepod would be saved so the hitchjaker module would be jetisoned.

So i spotted the mistake too late,I don't remember why but i refused to revert flight

So i was stuck there with 2 choices

CHOICE 1:Sacrifice a kerbal to save 3

or

CHOICE 2:try to save them all with a 80% chance to kill them all in the process.I think you can guess what happened next....

So i did the only correct thing to do!

I chose the second choice!(it was 1.2.2 things were crazier back then)

So you must be asking yourself what happened?...Well read the title of the thread this didn't had a happy ending.

The vessel whent ok during re-entry untill the ship decided to go head first(becuse ships are that suicidal)it started gaining speed....the faces of the crew were white...the whole planet was silence...untill contact was permanently lost....

Well the ship crashed in the middle of the ocean going god speed.Nothing survived...no one survived....

I'm really curious of what a real space center would have done

Get mission to rescue Kerbal.

He is in a intercept with the Mun, and I not launched anything more then 150 km beyond the main planet.

umor2bQ.png

Thanks KSP.

£&$*ing Ike is a pain in the £&$*ing %^$&!

I have a KOs script that calculates a Duna intercept and then performs the burn to get the initial intercept.  It then goes on to a second section of code to bring the Ap down to the required altitude...Except it keeps getting an intercept with Ike and messing up the flipping calculations!

My current thinking is to try and sneak in underneath it by adjusting the velocity to get the horizontal component of the offset first, and then bring the intercept up to equatorial afterwards, still a risk of Ike involvement but hopefully not enough to thow out the calculations completely.  Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to circularise at about 4Mm and then time a further burn to bring the Pe down and then circularize based on where Ike is.

I don't remember having this much hassle when flying there manually.

18 hours ago, BrianInAustin said:

2 very similar fails.  The first was my first manned (Kerbaled?) trip to Duna, left Duna orbit to come home and left the lander crew and all the science behind.  This was a quite a while ago.

The second was a few weeks ago, I was trying to see how few flights I could do to unlock the tech tree.  It took 12 with no science coming from SKC other than launchpad.  The reason it took 12 instead of 11 was I had to go back to the Mun to get the science I left on a lander.

I don't have any idea if 12 is an impressive number or not.  I never went farther than Minimus and hit every biome there and all but 3 on the Mun.   This was pretty easy as I concentrated on the top and bottom of the tree for science experiments and big fuel tanks in the early stages.  2 of the flights were refuel depots in Mun and Minimus orbits.

There is this one Youtuber, bradely whistance and he went interplanetary on the second flight. https://youtu.be/HXrHsjJcTa0

I have been playing KSP for 5yrs now, and it is the most satisfying game ever. I am in it for realism, I don't want aircraft that fly into space, from the tarmac, the most realistic component as seen on the news and you tube with the latest rockets to the ISS IS the Docking camera. yesterday i watched Scott Manley (again) his 1st recommended addon is the Laser docking camera, alas i went to down load it and a warning stating it does not work with 1.8. just has my docking camera stopped working after 1.4 came along. Dev;s why is the most realistic item of all time, not available.  The docking camera should be in the main game as standard, watching tutoriels of the top teachers of this game docking from a third party camera, bing bang bosh, docked is not in any form realistic. oh and by the way since steam upgraded me 1.8 my kerbals have NO lights on helmets, plus i have no height meter when in orbit.  The price of progress i guess you can keep your frills, coloured suites, futuristic engines. I will attempt to go back to 1.3 when everything worked.

regards Boris

Forgetting to fix the staging on like 47 consecutive test launches of a vehicle. More than once.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, RizzoTheRat said:

I don't remember having this much hassle when flying there manually.

Chance of intercept is inversely proportional to the desire for one.

Well, I just found a new way to destroy a manned rocket - with the (jettisoned) LES tower!!!!  Talk about irony.....

I don't have screenshots yet (different computer) but while launching a Gemini-ish rocket (but with a mod LES tower), everything was going smooth, and passing 35km I jettisoned LES tower - which fires its rockets while decoupling, boosting the LES tower quickly ahead of the rocket.  But it keeps a nearly identical flight path and this time, it was a little too identical - it slammed into the rocket somewhere around the coupling between first & second stages, destroying the second stage engine, decoupler & some of the first stage fuel tank.  The only saving grace was it killed all thrust, so the pod was able to just decouple from the wreckage & splashdown "normally" less than 300km from KSC

I'm pretty sure the small object in the distance above the capsule is the LES tower, still intact after destroying the rocket

NUks4Vx.png

Edited by Cavscout74