For the SRB update- angle-able SRBs

I was admiring the new SRB parts Squad have released when I came to the realization that they could use free angleable nozzles so we can have our own AJ-60 rocket motors as we famously see with the Atlas V with their angled nozzles.

Granted this late in development of the update I think it may be easier (and more realistic for development regardless of the update’s progress)- to just have the parts have high gimbal range so that players can have the gimbal at any degree without needing to prechoose which angle the player wants. Although I would probably make an “advanced” version of each engine (under the alternate appearance selection that applies to the mk2 lander can and its rover/lander variants). The normal version wouldn’t have the high gimbal, the “advanced” version would and would have the expected increase in cost.... if that’s doable using the alternate part appearance systems. Maybe cost change isn’t practical but I’m sure if Squad were to seriously invest time into this suggestion, they could find a way to make the “advanced” version more costly or at least warranting of either a whole new part of finding a way to make it work within all one part.

Another one of my insane ideas though. Maybe I have a good idea or not. I don’t know, you let me know.

33 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think it's a race between Squad coming out with the new SRBs and my new mod Modular Segmented SRBs

You sir do amazing work, but I like to play stock so I can share craft indiscriminately but full props for your work for this community. 

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

You sir do amazing work, but I like to play stock so I can share craft indiscriminately but full props for your work for this community. 

It's going to be interesting to see if the new SRBs are set up similarly to the old ones, or if they are more realistic in regards to thrust  in relation to the length of the SRB

51 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's going to be interesting to see if the new SRBs are set up similarly to the old ones, or if they are more realistic in regards to thrust  in relation to the length of the SRB

That would be interesting but hopefully we can move past the fixed motor era of SRBs. With KSP2 coming out, its clear KSP is meant for at least a modern era of rocketry. No reason for us to be stuck with 1960s era boosters- though perfectly acceptable for era career (would actually break the balance of the game). But I would really like A5 style SRBs that can gimbal. At least angle the nozzles or something. 

Its late in development for this latest update so I can only hope they see this and plug it in last second.

Slight aside, but this has me wondering - with Breaking Ground released, would it possible to change how gimbal limits work such that you set it between two angles for each axis, like you would with a servo? Rather than the "angle from the default setting" that currently exists? It might help mitigate some of the issues SAS has dealing with high gimbal engines, especially when in space shuttle set-ups, allowing you to point thrust through the COM even with odd shaped engines like SRBs.

34 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

That would be interesting but hopefully we can move past the fixed motor era of SRBs. With KSP2 coming out, its clear KSP is meant for at least a modern era of rocketry. No reason for us to be stuck with 1960s era boosters- though perfectly acceptable for era career (would actually break the balance of the game). But I would really like A5 style SRBs that can gimbal. At least angle the nozzles or something. 

Its late in development for this latest update so I can only hope they see this and plug it in last second.

The change is quite simple.  No coding changes, just some config file changes.  Look at BetterSRBs to see what needs to be changed.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The change is quite simple.  No coding changes, just some config file changes.  Look at BetterSRBs to see what needs to be changed.

I hope that's the case that allowing for custom nozzle angling would be feasible in 1.8- but I'd accept alternatives if that's not feasible.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, k00b said:

it would take the fun out of having risky launches ?

That's not really a good reason. A lot of things shouldn't be added if you just want iffy rocket launches. But some people want more realism or more accurate launches (myself included), so that kind of stuff gets added. Otherwise we'd be stuck with 1 or 2 SRBs and no Vector engine, no radial engines, no xenon engine- you get the point. 

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Otherwise we'd be stuck with 1 or 2 SRBs and no Vector engine, no radial engines, no xenon engine- you get the point. 

you have listed some random engines there and for unknown reason ? (considering we are talking about SRBOOSTERS), also there are 3 SRBs already (not "1 or 2") ...more to come; to PLAY WITH - being; "building rockets to test on space simulation game".

if you want "more accurate launches" - then how about building a better rocket or downloading an autopilot mod ???.

- no i don't get "the point"

2 hours ago, k00b said:

building rockets to test on space simulation game".

Yeah and it’s a lot more accurate with real engine designs. What I’m suggesting isn’t witchcraft.

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/29753/are-side-boosters-sometimes-angled-even-if-they-are-symmetrically-arranged

Hg9ii.jpg

bu3jy.jpg

Real rockets have solid rocket motors that can gimbal (note- Solid rocket motor is the correct term in this instance). Not to mention offset angled SRMs are completely normal in aerospace. It’s how the Atlas V gets away with only 1 SRB (something you can’t do in KSP without spamming SAS, using RCS or using the vector rocket engine to compensate for the angled thrust- all while keeping the single SRB vertical). 

Yes- maybe you don’t want to be bothered with angling your rocket nozzles- but with them set to face towards 0° (down), you won’t need to. This simply solves a lacking area of KSP. 

2 hours ago, k00b said:

If you want "more accurate launches" - then how about building a better rocket or downloading an autopilot mod ???.

This literally makes replica builds far more accurate- not to mention offers a vastly wider range of uses. So this definitely would do nothing but expand the game. Also an autopilot has nothing to do with this.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.