The Loading Screen Contest!

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

They landed just fine. This is normal behaviour when entering physics range of a previously landed vessel.

Too true! :/

22 minutes ago, KnutG said:

it wasn't me. That was Bob's fault...

:D

P.S. Thanks you two. I needed that laugh!

After years of lurking I've registered in order to contribute to the contest. Below are two of my absolute favorite pieces. One recaptures the famous "Earthrise" photograph of the Apollo Era and the other captures the sheer scale and ambition of the Shuttle Era. And thanks to KSP I've been able to live out both! You are free to use my name wherever you please.

SilentRebel_KSP_Loading_Screen_1.png

SilentRebel_KSP_Loading_Screen_2.png

Thanks for viewing and I hope to earn your vote!

Edited by SilentRebel

Here's my humble attempt. The hardest part was selecting only a few. You can imagine with a 1000+ hours I have quite the collection.

For reference these are all stock screenshots. Or at least no mods are visible :P

exKFD91.jpg

SunDiver Staging

VJAD3q4.jpg

1.7 Rotating Engine VTOL SSTO

zORl0MY.png

"Clean your window mam?"

ccuCf7F.png

Majestic Kerbin/Mun Rise from Minmus

Edited by Puddinsky

On 9/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, UomoCapra said:

The KSP community has always played a crucial role in the development of the Kerbal Universe, and with the KSP franchise growing, there is an important mission you Kerbonauts can help us with. 

It’s about time to update the game’s loading screens and we came to the conclusion that we should let you, the community, submit your illustrations, screenshots, pictures and/or any form of fanart you’d like to see in KSP’s loading screens! A set of finalists will be included in Update 1.8. Cool right?

No, it's not cool.

How is that a contest? Entrants don't win anything, it's just the company that wins some free labour. If you want more art, pay your artists. If you want lots of art by crowdsourcing submissions, offer an actual prize for winning submissions. Doesn't have to be much, just some token to say you're not overtly exploiting your userbase's "passion" for unpaid work.

This is just weak, really, particularly given the effort and quality put into some of these submissions so far. Pay the damn people, you're not exactly strapped for cash and there's no indie dev excuse to fall back on these days. You have literal triple-A publisher money, one of the scabbiest, shadiest publishers known in the industry but money nonetheless. Leveraging the community involvement and creativity this game has come to be known for in such a cynical way (and counting on the inexperience of amateurs to not notice what you're doing) is a real low blow coming from Squad, I'm not impressed. Nor am I looking for an argument over this. Sort it out.

23 minutes ago, Loskene said:

No, it's not cool.

How is that a contest? Entrants don't win anything, it's just the company that wins some free labour. If you want more art, pay your artists. If you want lots of art by crowdsourcing submissions, offer an actual prize for winning submissions. Doesn't have to be much, just some token to say you're not overtly exploiting your userbase's "passion" for unpaid work.

This is just weak, really, particularly given the effort and quality put into some of these submissions so far. Pay the damn people, you're not exactly strapped for cash and there's no indie dev excuse to fall back on these days. You have literal triple-A publisher money, one of the scabbiest, shadiest publishers known in the industry but money nonetheless. Leveraging the community involvement and creativity this game has come to be known for in such a cynical way (and counting on the inexperience of amateurs to not notice what you're doing) is a real low blow coming from Squad, I'm not impressed. Nor am I looking for an argument over this. Sort it out.

The thing is, this is optional. So if you don’t agree with the terms, don’t participate. Simple as that.

Lots of awesome pictures here, too many to name. Hopefully our community manager folks can pare them down enough to vote on.

Here's my contribution. It took me awhile to dig up this old challenge save, but I couldn't find the save I needed and had to recreate the pass. Then it was a repetitive process to get a decent powered screenshot out of it. Now if only the Sun Kerbol would shine from the north for better lighting...

VM9cJVL.png 

1 hour ago, SilentRebel said:

The thing is, this is optional. So if you don’t agree with the terms, don’t participate. Simple as that.

I'm not participating. Were this handled in a less exploitative manner I might have, since like any other long time player and fan of the game I have plenty of interesting screenshots to contribute, and digital art skills to make them stand out. But that's where the correctness ends, because it's not as simple as that.

The problem arises from this not being some cutesy little community forum challenge like any of the others they've posted. This is work which will be put into a commercial product for which people contributing their labour will receive no compensation for their time. Time is money, remember. If you're good at something, never do it for free. This is identical to artists being commissioned for a project and paid with "exposure" (and I hope you're all familiar with how dirty a word that is in artistry/content creation circles) rather than anything they can use to buy food. What makes it both clear and contemptible is that it's framed as a prize-free contest with legal disclaimers/Ts&Cs to avoid any legal culpability for the aforementioned work being performed at cost to the worker without compensation or contract of employment.

This might've even slid past were it not coming directly off the back of Chucklefish getting into hot water over abusing (literally, if you look into the allegations) their fanbase to produce content for their games without compensation, taking advantage of their youth, inexperience with labour practices, and love of their games to get away with it. This is why here it's being given the whole legally-binding contest with no actual reward malarkey. What they're doing is not illegal, it is entirely optional, but it is also a blatant act of learning from another company's mistakes in order to produce a PR-friendly method to achieve the same results. Furthermore, where does this leave us if successful? Will there be another "contest" to produce full cinematic trailers for their steam store page? Official gameplay tutorials? Anything else that's difficult to produce in large quantities without paying a team big bucks for it? And what about Squad's in-house artists who would normally do this kind of job, are they still getting paid, are they still employed?

I'm not saying this for myself, as said I'm not participating. This is for the rest of you, who should be demanding compensation for however much time you contributed to someone else's workload. Especially without them actually hiring you for the job, which is notorious in our current "gig" economy. How much do you think it would've cost Squad in wages to have an artist produce a couple dozen new loading screen pieces for their game? They certainly know since they started life as a multimedia marketing company. Whatever that sum is, that's at least how much you should collectively be asking for before producing for them. Unfortunately if you've already submitted an entry and agreed to their "contest" terms you've effectively waived your rights to it. Oh well. Live and learn. I hope.