The Loading Screen Contest!

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, Loskene said:

This is for the rest of you, who should be demanding compensation

This game has changed my life. Were it not for me hearing of a game called Kerbal Space Program and giving it a go, I would have had a completely different intended career path. I never would have discovered my love for Spaceflight. This game has been nothing but inspirational for me. I love this game with all my heart. Anything I can contribute towards it is going to be a reward in of itself. This is my favorite game ever, and I want to be able to offer it something besides money for the hours and hours of enjoyment it’s given me. You can sit out, but some of us love this game enough to do work in and for it, for free.

The problem arises from this not being some cutesy little community forum challenge like any of the others they've posted. This is work which will be put into a commercial product for which people contributing their labour will receive no compensation for their time.

So what?  People realise that and decide whether or not to contribute.  My parents square-danced with hundreds of others at the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary.  Sure, not quite a commercial concern.  And members of my gaming guild back around 2010 provided their own screenshots for new loading screens for City of Heroes, which at the time was a commericial product.  You can still see some of them in the returned game.  That is exactly equivalent to this situation.

Time is money, remember. If you're good at something, never do it for free.

People often provide goods and services for free or for far less that the true worth.  Back in 2007, I was in a funeral parade for a member of my Regiment killed in Afghanistan.  Think the Queen's Shilling is adequate reimbursement for risking and perhaps suffering damage to limb and loss of life?  I'd say no.  Soldiers must be paid (it's the source of the word, soldier) because soldiers live in a world where they need pay, but they do what they do for far more than the pay.

9. Prizes. The winning art will be featured in the official loading screens of Kerbal Space Program. The winning art will be placed into the game and featured on the various in-game loading screens.

Legal terms and conditions: 99% of the text. Prize description 1%. Actual prize 0%.

Luckily you will get enough people that want a "shot at fame" that are willing to spend time doing your job as a developer and get 0 in return. I guess marketing works on the lesser "aware" folks.

1 hour ago, KerbalKore said:

This game has changed my life. Were it not for me hearing of a game called Kerbal Space Program and giving it a go, I would have had a completely different intended career path. I never would have discovered my love for Spaceflight. This game has been nothing but inspirational for me. I love this game with all my heart. Anything I can contribute towards it is going to be a reward in of itself. This is my favorite game ever, and I want to be able to offer it something besides money for the hours and hours of enjoyment it’s given me. You can sit out, but some of us love this game enough to do work in and for it, for free.

No. YOU changed your life. Because YOU purchased this game. Had it been granted to you for free by the developers, then they could take the credit. As far as I see, you owe nothing to the developers as you have payed the exact worth to them when you purchased the game. A game [snip] is a product. What it means to you is different than what it means to the developer.

"This game changed my life". Bruh, that sounds like a testimonial from a cult member, or at least some early morning infomercial. Congrats on your career path tho.

I know I'll get some lame warning point, have my post deleted, get some cult members... err... fans that will lash at me for daring to criticize anything about the game, squad or the forum. The irony? I'll get banned for "bullying" by some authoritarian bully that thinks nobody should say things he doesn't like. It has happened before and will happen again. As it happens I couldn't care less.

<Insert meme here>

I don't often post on KSP forums. But when I do, it's to criticize some negative aspect, but I always get banned. I guess this is the vacuous world we live in where everybody must fall in line or get shot.

Edited by Vanamonde

11 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

And dissmissing how people's experiences with the game and its impact.... Why tho

Because people have agency. More than they think they do. Because I can and want to. Is that a good answer or is it too libertarian for you? I wasn't dismissing his experience, I was pointing out that he is more responsible of his choices than the game is, but you have to be willing to read.

Anyways, I shall end it here. The contest is bad, the prizes are bad, the "I'll do it for free while you get to monetize on it" attitude is bad. Had it been pro bono and for a charity I'd be praising it. As it is, it's just a cash grab at the expense of naivety.

But do not let things like reason and arguments get in your way. Ban, bash, hide under the rug. It's they way things are done here.

Edited by mystik

How about those who want to volunteer their submissions can do so, those who think they're suckers for doing so are free to refrain, and both sides stop telling the other how wrong and evil they are? 

Some comments have been removed. Please leave politics and religion out of the discussions on this forum, since neither ends well. 

I made this years back for a fanfic that I swear I'll go back and finish one day....

COFg99b.png

This is the most suitable from the story, but Idk if  such a cartoony style would fit in well. 

If it's just screenshots, I took this really nice one of Eve,  and have others of architecture I've made in the game. Also mostly for fanfic... 

DK9V7KVl.png

suDM5AMl.png

AXqVKfol.png

PF2QXNEl.png

Seriously though, if screenshots, like I'm seeing in this thread are something you're after, I wouldn't know where to stop. I probably have thousands of cool ones by now.

QhxZ6NQm.pngTJXS7cym.pngsI4NtLxm.pngub6TL2wm.pngRKielVnm.pngoRTiX6bm.pngYSLnfnSm.jpgl2nKrPgm.pngghJNIRNm.pngKU5TnLSm.pngX7pDppMm.pngUB554Yym.png7mFzj3Zm.pngXwWCH07m.pngc4pPCzBm.pnghKnDUomm.pngtaT7mKkm.pngLNFvedxm.png

Must.. resist.. urge to share more photos... (should any of these catch your eye,  open in new tab, standard imgur technique of deleting the last m of the url will get you the full size one)

Oh, there's also this one:

13DfJjd.png

Goes against the no logo rule, but that's an in game logo there, so...

Edited by Tw1
Seriously though, if you want any of these, I'd be happy to do any photoshop touch ups required

I, Danktonium, informally represent the Playstation version's finest players. I do hereby give the full rights for commercial use of this image to the KSP team provided credit is given. If it's been crushed down, I have a crisp uncompressed 1080p version of the image riding around here somewhere I can send directly if asked. If you need to contact me, please do so on Reddit at www.reddit.com/user/danktoniumwyg7c0rsa4m31.jpg

This is weird:

Participation in Contest and acceptance of prize constitutes winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state and country), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.

Are the winners obliged to provide such statement? I think using someone's identity to advertise a product is not ok. This is asking too much for a simple loading screen image contest...

Also, can we upload lower resolution here, and provide the original in case of winning?

I have been playing KSP since v .17. Here is a small selection of pictures from my history in KSP. Some are new, taken in the past week and some go back to my early days on youtube. Jolly Roger Aerospace is my youtube name, please use that name. Even if you don't use the pictures I hope you enjoy them for the fun and flexibility of the game.

fOwhVHU.jpg

108 satellites in one launch

ty0Elwq.jpg

Adventures of Space Pig, yes I made a pig rocket and sent it to Minmus, this was the re-entry.

OXDH5Af.jpg

Briefing room I made for a cinematic

Xs1kBp7.jpg

Kraken's Eye... I was de-orbiting a ring station

dCjlLH9.jpg

v1.7.3 early career First Mun landing

1vsr3Of.jpg

v1.7.3 early career first orbit

9mQVwhZ.jpg

Flying Car who wouldn't want a flying sports car?

JpQJKec.jpg

Hummer look a like rover loaded with science experiments 

eEgKeI0.jpg

A bigger Hummer look a like rover with more science experiments 

hTP1GEY.jpg

Northern Lights... Sometimes you just need to take a break... while waiting for the recovery team....

jxIB4F2.jpg

Octowhaaa? The Kraken escapes...

2y57TMh.jpg

Science Station Alpha on the way to Duna, yes this is a Mobile space station that I flew to Duna and back

7nYZ9bF.jpg

Jeb at Duna with Science Station Alpha

xzt197a.jpg

Planet Express

aJ4v2Ss.jpg

Krazy Kerbal... this was part of an experiment using the ejection seat feature instead of a de-orbital burn at Minmus

tAcMD92.jpg

Double re-entry in a career after a double mission

Edited by greydragon70
typos

I got a few. You can use my forum name for credit.

TMvmmzR.png

Munmoth Munar shuttle returning to Kerbin

qOfWT1F.png

Washing machine landing on Minmus

VAcZQxa.png

Mining rover on Minmus

FhMCE2w.png

Harvesting a space potato with Spudnik shuttle

73YftMc.png

Joolia cruiser arriving at Tylo

S191C78.png

Val departing for Vall

OKEPNdf.png

Joolia cruiser returning from its Jool-5 mission

8xGR5Rk.png

Duna Spire luxury cruiser

rK0bxHx.png

Probodobodekasamolet, an experimental design from Probodobodyne

GRl7X4T.png

Party station

Before we have anyone else post images please note this:

If your image is not absolutely stunning and as good as the current loading screen images don't post it. You'll only be disappointed. This thread isn't about sharing good-looking screenshots. There is already a thread for that. The poor squad staff shouldn't have to look through pages of mediocre images to find the true gems.

Thank you very much. :)

6 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Before we have anyone else post images please note this:

If your image is not absolutely stunning and as good as the current loading screen images don't post it. You'll only be disappointed. This thread isn't about sharing good-looking screenshots. There is already a thread for that. The poor squad staff shouldn't have to look through pages of mediocre images to find the true gems.

Thank you very much. :)

Aw. :( People are proud of their screenshots. And we don't know which ones Squad might like. :D

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

People are proud of their screenshots. And we don't know which ones Squad might like. :D

I'm quite liking some of the the ones people have dragged up.  It's like highlights from people's time in KSP 

Edited by Tw1