Anyone else hoping for alien artifacts and lore to be added in to KSP 2?

RedacteddHT

Imagine how cool it would be if the "unknown objects" were actually alien stations or at least abandoned alien craft that could be found by players? That would provide a whole new incentive to sending missions into deep space. Sure, colonization will be a thing in KSP 2, which is AWESOME, but, as a UFO-head myself, I think the addition of "other-worldly" craft would be the cherry on top for me. This would open the door for lore to be added into the game, with info the player can find out about by investigating these objects in space. Anyone else hoping for this?

I... don't know. Honestly. I don't know how I'd feel about it. The anomalies in KSP1 are amusing but to take that further...? I don't know.

However, I do hope that there's a bigger payoff for interstellar missions than just finding more empty balls of rock with a bunch of biomes to scan. Whether alien ruins are a part of that ... I really don't know.

13 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I... don't know. Honestly. I don't know how I'd feel about it. The anomalies in KSP1 are amusing but to take that further...? I don't know.

However, I do hope that there's a bigger payoff for interstellar missions than just finding more empty balls of rock with a bunch of biomes to scan. Whether alien ruins are a part of that ... I really don't know.

Alien civilizations/artifacts/ruins/etc are semi-confirmed. During the interview, Nate gave a smiling no comment. So, we might want to prepare for the fact that we might find alien artifacts on a varying level, or heck, we might find a whole new species. 

Alien containers of wastes silently floating in space at 0.1 c being jettisonned from an alien starship.

Alien lander crews taking rock samples and immediately boarding their ship and flying away once you begin approaching.

Flying saucers flying from time to time around KSC and stealing Kerbals with an attracting ray.

Sometimes these Kerbals return back, but appear to be... changed. Moving in strange manner. Are they still Kerbals?

An unsersea monster from Spore jumping out and swallowing your crafts when they are passing over.

Edited by kerbiloid

Well, KSP1 has (almost) always had a light  sprinkling of totally unexplained alien artifcts:  crashed UFOs, the Vall-Henge, the Face, all the Monoliths, etc.  This is fine with most folks because players can either ignore them completely or spin their own lore off them.  I play the game both ways depending on mood so would be disappointed if the new KSP2 planets did NOT contain a similar light sprinkle of anomalous pop culture references.  I want folks to spin new tales off them and the rest to be able to continue to ignore them without making vast tracts of real estate unplayable to them.

But the key thing is, they must all remain totally unexplained.  Built-in lore is bad for everybody.  It prevents folks who enjoy visiting the anomalies from telling their own stories about them, and it forces a story on those who'd rather not have one at all.

As to actually meeting aliens, anything mobile, let alone tool-using, would require at least rudimentary AI.  I just don't see that happening.  But I really do hope for alien  plants to liven up the scenery.  Besides, they'd give something more for the rover arms to sniff, and perhaps new experiments leading to domestication of edible strains for colonists.

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Alien civilizations/artifacts/ruins/etc are semi-confirmed. During the interview, Nate gave a smiling no comment. So, we might want to prepare for the fact that we might find alien artifacts on a varying level, or heck, we might find a whole new species. 

I bet they are planning to include our real solar system so the alien ruins are human. Now that would be quite funny! 

Edited by Stuntel
Typo

I wouldn't mind seeing more alien artifacts/ruins (possibly from multiple alien races) and maybe some live ship cameos and light lore, but ultimately KSP is more focused on real spaceflight than sci-fi so whatever is done with this would need to be fun optional background content. At most maybe having some unique science experiments available at the alien sites with funny flavor text with some nice but not critical bonuses (i.e. unlock some of the high-tier engines a bit earlier than normal).

21 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, KSP1 has (almost) always had a light  sprinkling of totally unexplained alien artifcts:  crashed UFOs, the Vall-Henge, the Face, all the Monoliths, etc.  This is fine with most folks because players can either ignore them completely or spin their own lore off them.  I play the game both ways depending on mood so would be disappointed if the new KSP2 planets did NOT contain a similar light sprinkle of anomalous pop culture references.  I want folks to spin new tales off them and the rest to be able to continue to ignore them without making vast tracts of real estate unplayable to them.

But the key thing is, they must all remain totally unexplained.  Built-in lore is bad for everybody.  It prevents folks who enjoy visiting the anomalies from telling their own stories about them, and it forces a story on those who'd rather not have one at all.

As to actually meeting aliens, anything mobile, let alone tool-using, would require at least rudimentary AI.  I just don't see that happening.  But I really do hope for alien  plants to liven up the scenery.  Besides, they'd give something more for the rover arms to sniff, and perhaps new experiments leading to domestication of edible strains for colonists.

I was trying to figure out my own views and then read your post. I think you nailed it for me.  I absolutely do not want built-in-lore.  Mysteries need to remain mysteries. Artifacts are fine (and I think fossils might even be cool), anything more and it becomes a different game.

I think your plants suggestion is excellent.

Also if origin of the artifact is known, it's aliens'. If not - it's nobody's, and thus can be made yours.
So, if an alien saucer flies here and asks: "Did you see our artifact?", you can honestly say "No."

Edited by kerbiloid

20 hours ago, Stuntel said:

I bet they are planning to include our real solar system so the alien ruins are human. Now that would be quite funny! 

That would be amazing! Imagine Jeb trying to figure out how to fly a ride in Tomorrowland at Disneyland!

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I dont understand the 'create your own lore' argument. Since its all PRETENDING, even if there were lore you can simply 'pretend' it is something else....

That's how I try to think about the Star Wars prequels and Alien 3.  I'd prefer not to have to play those mental gymnastics is KSP.

11 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I dont understand the 'create your own lore' argument. Since its all PRETENDING, even if there were lore you can simply 'pretend' it is something else....

Correct, but it can be annoying when the game insists on contradicting your own story by explaining the artifacts and such.

I don't want a defined 'lore' as such.  But having some anomalies that share a connection, and maybe give a little 'side puzzle' to encourage more exploration is ok.

The crashed saucers, for example, almost certainly came from the same origin, perhaps a cluster of them could indicate a point of interest nearby.  Maybe Vall Henge points to something of interest which you need to explore to discover.

But they don't need to provide an overall 'end goal/answer' as such just cool stuff to discover and add general interest to the universe.