Super Eve challenge

You have probably run a mission to Eve and have had trouble escaping it’s massive gravity before. But what happens when Eve becomes a super earth and has 10x the mass? Your challenge is to launch a rocket from super Kerbin, achieve orbit, and go to super Eve, land, take off, and finally return to super Kerbin. 

To simulate the high super planet gravity, hold the alt key and press the f12 button, then go to cheats, click on hack gravity and set gravity to 10 (for an easier challenge, set gravity to 5). 

To measure your progress, use this rubric:

Took off from Kerbin successfully...1

Achieved orbit of Kerbin...2

Set course for Eve...1

Orbit Eve...2

Land on Eve...2

Take off from Eve...3

Set course for Kerbin...2

Return to Kerbin’s surface...1

Total points possible:15

Add up your points and tell how you did!

Ok so here's the thing. Eve gravity and atmosphere basically makes 10x Eve launch difficult to even start. Especially if we're not launching from the tallest mountain on Eve.

I'm curious whether a Vector engine can even lift off at Eve sealevel?

Edited by Pds314

7 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Ok so here's the thing. Eve gravity and atmosphere basically makes 10x Eve launch difficult to even start. Especially if we're not launching from the tallest mountain on Eve.

I'm curious whether a Vector engine can even lift off at Eve sealevel?

Again, you can also use x5 gravity. Also, you can use all the mods you want! Use as many engines as you can, that’s part of the challenge. Go nuts and think outside the box

Just now, Robonoise said:

Again, you can also use x5 gravity. Also, you can use all the mods you want! Use as many engines as you can, that’s part of the challenge. Go nuts and think outside the box

Well then what stops me from just flying a K-drive there, landing, pointing up, and flinging myself back at Kerbin at relativistic speeds?

4 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Well then what stops me from just flying a K-drive there, landing, pointing up, and flinging myself back at Kerbin at relativistic speeds?

Nothing! It just takes some fun out of the challenge. But if you want to take that way out, go ahead.:wink:

7 hours ago, Robonoise said:

Challenge needs some rules to be challenging... If everything is allowed, everything is easy.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:13 AM, Robonoise said:

You have probably run a mission to Eve and have had trouble escaping it’s massive gravity before. But what happens when Eve becomes a super earth and has 10x the mass? Your challenge is to launch a rocket from super Kerbin, achieve orbit, and go to super Eve, land, take off, and finally return to super Kerbin. 

To simulate the high super planet gravity, hold the alt key and press the f12 button, then go to cheats, click on hack gravity and set gravity to 10 (for an easier challenge, set gravity to 5). 

To measure your progress, use this rubric:

Took off from Kerbin successfully...1

Achieved orbit of Kerbin...2

Set course for Eve...1

Orbit Eve...2

Land on Eve...2

Take off from Eve...3

Set course for Kerbin...2

Return to Kerbin’s surface...1

Total points possible:15

Add up your points and tell how you did!

Actually this is much easier than what it looks, when using the proper technology to do it.

A planet with a so dense atmosphere is never a disadvantage, because increase the break action force (advantage 1) to enter in atmosphere which allow almost a zero delta-v to land from Orbit.

And with very simple technology like electric fans or air-balloon type you can very easily go until 10km or 15km height, without using the main engines and then just light them and go very easy to orbit again.

But this breaks the logic of using normal rocket engines which are not suitable for that.

Edited by pmborg

6 hours ago, pmborg said:

Actually this is much easier than what it looks, when using the proper technology to do it.

A planet with a so dense atmosphere is never a disadvantage, because increase the break action force (advantage 1) to enter in atmosphere which allow almost a zero delta-v to land from Orbit.

And with very simple technology like electric fans or air-balloon type you can very easily go until 10km or 15km height, without using the main engines and then just light them and go very easy to orbit again.

But this breaks the logic of using normal rocket engines which are not suitable for that.

You've gotta electric fan up a rocket with more than enough DV for an IRL direct ascent moon mission and 17+ G TWR. In 17 G. This is a very hard challenge.

Edited by Pds314

17 hours ago, Pds314 said:

You've gotta electric fan up a rocket with more than enough DV for an IRL direct ascent moon mission and 17+ G TWR. In 17 G. This is a very hard challenge.

Yet doable, as said by @pmborg. Also, a thick atmosphere means better performance from parachutes! Now Duna in 10x g would really be a challenge!:)

Edited by Robonoise

I have done a basic test, with a small ship at the 3th attempt made it, (in a Kerbin of 10G) and got it in Orbit at 7500m/s at with AP: 452km, then just run out of fuel, I need a 4th attempt to do all steps of the Challenge for tomorrow night.

Actually 4th attempt, Kerbin Orbit:

qykoknG.png

Hope tomorrow night have more time to do all mission and upload the video.

Cheers!

Edited by pmborg

8 hours ago, Robonoise said:

Yet doable, as said by @pmborg. Also, a thick atmosphere means better performance from parachutes! Now Duma in 10x g would really be a challenge!:)

Of course everything is doable if all mods etc are allowed. I mean you could just mod in an engine with 1000000isp and 100000kN thrust and that's it.

6 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

Of course everything is doable if all mods etc are allowed. I mean you could just mod in an engine with 1000000isp and 100000kN thrust and that's it.

Now you guys are getting it! But remember, the more you mod, it becomes less of a challenge.

Both engine values are in the image, provided yesterday, engine provided by KSPI mod @FreeThinker:

• Not 100000kN  = 58,320kN
  • Not 1000000isp = 594,603 ISP

Please note that about the mods, nothing is refereed as a limitation or even as a penalty points.

So until now at least I have:

• Took off from Kerbin successfully...1
  • Achieved orbit of Kerbin...2
  • Set course for Eve...1

• But as a side note the secret is not the engine, that is just a detail, I have done it, with 3 different engines types, this engine is not even capable of get off the ground.
  • No boosters were used
  • Vehicle until now is 100% reusable.
Edited by pmborg

18 minutes ago, Robonoise said:

At least you got there. Great job! Best of luck on the easiest part, getting home!

Added here an intrigue question, I have done it and only used 33% of engine power!

I am uploading the video of takeoff:

Edited by pmborg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.